Beginners and Beyond

Race #88 for 2017: Race For The Pantry 5K and 10K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  This is a very popular race, so I took a LOT of photos; if you don't want to see them all individually below and read my full report please go to the slideshow link for faster viewing and no commentary.

Full report below.   

Slide show of photos only: 

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2088%20Race%20For%20The%20Pantry%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

This was my 88th race of 2017. Held on Dec 16 in Canyon Lake, Texas, about an hour's drive from San Antonio.  The race supported the local Food Pantry, helping those in need with food items, etc.   Canyon Lake is a very rural and pretty area, with a big man-made lake, a dam, and nearby Canyon Lake Gorge, none of which we saw on the race course. At least not in the 5K.  There was also a 10K too, so maybe they saw some of that.  The race started and finished near a local community center.  I arrived there with about an hour to go to the 8 a.m. start time.  As Canyon Lake is up in Texas Hill Country, it was a bit chillier than in San Antonio, so was glad the community center was open so we could stay inside and get some warmth before the start.

Upon my arrival, greeted by this as I went inside the community center

The center had been turned into a Christmas Village for the holidays, very nice.

Various volunteers, participants, etc

My pal, Yeti the Wonder Dog with his humans

Yeti herded all these people together for a photo

Our MC giving us some info on the courses, etc

ON THE COURSE

The route was on very rural roads which were still open to traffic.  The drivers - at least where I was at any given time - were quite polite and cautious about moving around us and giving us room.  10K people left first and made a big loop.  5K people did an out-and-back.

We had views of the nearby hills, etc

5K winner heading to the finish

Me now heading to the finish

photo 040_zps9l2bg8fm.jpg

Young lady coming into the finish...I think she did the 10K...

Another 10K finisher coming in.

AFTER MY FINISH

Finished in 34-something, 2nd in my age group.  Got a photo of my friends from Athlete Guild who did the timing, results, course setup, etc.  At least we were moving.  They had to sit here the whole time and it was pretty darn chilly on this race morning.

With friend and fellow retired vet, Mary K., an amazing person and talented runner.

Mary and her #1 supporter

Happy Finishers, etc....

Nice after-party in the community center, with beer, sausage wraps, cookies, all kinds of stuff....very nice!

I thought these ladies were in their late 30s, early 40s...they were not...but they look it.  

Medal winners...Yeti got to wear my pal Joe's medal...well, it was Yeti's medal too, he did the course also.

With friend Donald....one age group above me....thank goodness, so I don't have to compete with him, lol, he is very speedy.

EPILOGUE

Very nicely done event!   A smaller event, but a lot of fun with great people.  Nice laid out course - altho that darn road had a heckuva camber, which my braced knee does not like too much, lol, so I tried as much as possible to run on the most level part of the road, watching out for traffic, of course, and moving over when I had to.   No big deal, not like I haven't done it before at other events too.  I don't remember how many times this has been put on, but this was my first time doing this one.  I would certainly do it again.  For a small race, they put on a heckuva show with a really nice after-party.  The medals and race-shirts were pretty nice too.  Definitely would recommend this one to others.

MUCHO thanks to all the people that made this one happen for us, e.g., sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement out there for us, community leaders, community center for opening up for us and all the others not mentioned here.   Without you, no event for us, so thank you very much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a hilly course. Congratulations on #88.

Docket_Rocket

Nice!  Congrats!  How many more you have left before the end of the year?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks like a hilly course. Congratulations on #88.

We had some mild inclines, that was about it.  The 10K folks had some hills to deal with.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice!  Congrats!  How many more you have left before the end of the year?

2 more.  Will end up with 90 races for the year.  My new all-time high, probably one I will never beat, lol.  I need to start taking it a bit easier now.