Beginners and Beyond

Runner killed so sad (Read 119 times)

Nevrgivup

Not sure how to post links here so I will just give the url and whoever can link it please do so. This poor girl was killed by a drunk driver yesterday and there will be a dedication run this coming weekend. A FB page has been set up in her honor and can be found in the "link". Please help share your support. So sad.

http://wtvr.com/2014/01/14/michael-carlson-bond-hearing/

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

After having had too many close calls with vehicles (the latest a full-fledged one on a bicycle) I've got to say, I wish there was more to be done for runners/cyclists.  Multi-thousand pound vehicles are just too much for people.

Fair weather areas are bad enough.  Looks like eastern/north eastern areas could be even worse.

I plan to frequent one of many converted trails (from old railroads no longer in service) to avoid traffic altogether for both my running *and* cycling, though I will admit that I've etched a pretty safe path for my running route over the years.

Nevertheless car vs human means car wins almost every time! 

Randy

LRB

That is a horrible way to go, made worse by the fact that is was completely avoidable.

Love the Half

I don't have the option of trails in my area but I try to limit myself to mostly residential neighborhoods and I stay on the sidewalks if they are available.  Although this is the case of a drunk driver, it only takes a driver's moment of inattention for you to wind up dead.  We have all run off the road at one time or another and we are just lucky there wasn't a person there when we did so.  The bottom line though is that the only way to be 100% safe from traffic is to stay on a treadmill (because even trails have bikes) and I'm not willing to do that so I'll take my chances.  I just try to minimize the risk.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

The death of a human life is always sad. The death of a runner is a loss to our community and it forces us into reflexion. Such a waste...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

The death of a human life is always sad. The death of a runner is a loss to our community and it forces us into reflexion. Such a waste...

Well said Julie. A DUI at 8:15am obviously happens but it still surprises me. So sad.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Shitty situation.

Awful.  And what is even more distasteful, the driver will get off with a fairly mild punishment and go on with his practice and his life.

delicate flower

A DUI at 8:15am obviously happens but it still surprises me. So sad.

He was a .11 BAC, which means he probably had a number of drinks...at 8:15 in the morning.  Can't say I ever did that even when I was a drinking man.

It sucks...I hate cars.  Like LtH said, all you can do is minimize the risk.  I try to stay off busy roads and hit the rail trail whenever I can.

<3