Beginners and Beyond

Which Race Would You Do? (Read 50 times)

Brilliant

It would be a nice vacation for the family, we don't have a camper and I'm not buying a tent for a week nor trying to keep 2 dogs and a kid in a tent along with DH and my 2 stepsons. It would be a nice getaway from Indiana and our shop from a Monday to the following Sunday. We like to try and have at least one full week vacation a year.

Oh...if you think you will take a one-week vacation in the mountains anyway, then it's not really a cost of this race.  Or at least that's what I tell *my* husband when I'm trying to talk him into going with me to a race in a fun location - he can't blame the hotel cost on my race. Smile

Cyberic

If it's only the medal bothering you, just run that race and BYOM (buy your own medal).

But it would bother me to have given one payment on the cabin and lose my money. I think I'd go with that one since it would double as a vacation, and one fourth of the price is already paid for.

But I'm only answering because I have time to lose since DH will decide

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh...if you think you will take a one-week vacation in the mountains anyway, then it's not really a cost of this race.  Or at least that's what I tell *my* husband when I'm trying to talk him into going with me to a race in a fun location - he can't blame the hotel cost on my race. Smile

Exactly 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If it's only the medal bothering you, just run that race and BYOM (buy your own medal).

But it would bother me to have given one payment on the cabin and lose my money. I think I'd go with that one since it would double as a vacation, and one fourth of the price is already paid for.

But I'm only answering because I have time to lose since DH will decide

The medal is a big part of what is bothering my pride, and need to prove my self lol.

But yeah, I feel that since I've already paid one part of it, and the 2nd payment isn't until the middle of next month, and the 3rd sometime in July, and the then the 4th isn't due until shortly before the reservations, I don't really see a huge problem with it.

But DH does have a say, so I'll wait until the end of next week to talk to him about it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Mmmmm...beer

My vote is for the Mark Twain 50.  The Spirit Crusher sounds like an interesting race, but maybe not a good way to try to get your first 50 in.  If you're cool with missing a cutoff and getting booted before you hit the mileage you want then it would be worth a shot.  But if you want to do 50, then I'd go for the other one.  Having just done my first 50, and come out of it feeling fantastic (granted, it was a training run, I probably would have run a lil faster if it had been a race, so I probably wouldn't be feeling as good lol), I will say that I think the key to 50-100 mile endurance is back to back long runs.  I think those have really given me the endurance that has allowed me to not only do the 50, but to feel this good afterwards.  Getting used to running on tired legs is very important, not only physically, but mentally, being able to push yourself late in the race will be a critical key to finishing.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

My vote is for the Mark Twain 50.  The Spirit Crusher sounds like an interesting race, but maybe not a good way to try to get your first 50 in.  If you're cool with missing a cutoff and getting booted before you hit the mileage you want then it would be worth a shot.  But if you want to do 50, then I'd go for the other one.  Having just done my first 50, and come out of it feeling fantastic (granted, it was a training run, I probably would have run a lil faster if it had been a race, so I probably wouldn't be feeling as good lol), I will say that I think the key to 50-100 mile endurance is back to back long runs.  I think those have really given me the endurance that has allowed me to not only do the 50, but to feel this good afterwards.  Getting used to running on tired legs is very important, not only physically, but mentally, being able to push yourself late in the race will be a critical key to finishing.

I'm definitely leaning more and more towards the Mark Twain 50..... that's for sure.

PRs