Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 48: Beards VS Beans 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2048%20Bears%20Vs%20Beans%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 48th race of 2018 was the Beards VS Beans 5K held on July 1st at Comanche Park in San Antonio.  This event, put on by two brothers, raised money for the Alzheimer’s Association.  The race name is because of a competition between beards – which one brother is for, and one not – and beans, again, which one brother is for and another not.  So whomever wins the competition – I forget how they decide that – the loser has to either eat a pot of beans or grow a beard, all in the spirit of sibling rivalry and raising money for a good cause.   I think the brothers expected about 100 or so to register but it turned out closer to 200 or so, making for a nice turnout for their cause.  Race start time was 8:30 a.m. so, as I live pretty close to the park, I was able to sleep in a bit on this Sunday morning.  Arrived at the park with about an hour to go to start time and got some pre-start photos.

Race shirt

photo IMG_3954_zpskzwfdnyq.jpg

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_3895_zpsyhyyhlui.jpg

Our sound and music man

photo IMG_3931_zps0s4r7gto.jpg

The cause we are here for

photo IMG_3948_zpsmz9rzm84.jpg

With friend, Don.  Aren't I color-coordinated, lol.

photo IMG_3908_zpsvvix3smd.jpg

Race Director Erik (left) with friend

photo IMG_3906_zpsyt7gbipv.jpg

Various participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_3890_zpsvzr5llct.jpg

photo IMG_3891_zpskm0i6mmf.jpg

photo IMG_3892_zpsrarbjayr.jpg

photo IMG_3893_zpslmcpqmp6.jpg

photo IMG_3894_zpsiewzybtx.jpg

photo IMG_3898_zpsgbxrljid.jpg

photo IMG_3896_zpsnyprswb2.jpg

photo IMG_3899_zpsxq6ubruy.jpg

photo IMG_3900_zpsborjbcdl.jpg

photo IMG_3901_zps0voqgm9n.jpg

Our cook getting ready to grill up the post race sausages

photo IMG_3902_zpsbihcwevb.jpg

Boy Scouts did the Color Guard for the National Anthem

photo IMG_3903_zpsuin5tjsb.jpg

Athlete Guild guy hard at work getting ready for the start, timing, etc.

photo IMG_3905_zpstyzbrmy6.jpg

photo IMG_3909_zpsuud4bgwh.jpg

photo IMG_3910_zpsauxiengu.jpg

photo IMG_3911_zpshafywcqv.jpg

photo IMG_3912_zpskhlrajhj.jpg

photo IMG_3914_zpsdboszshd.jpg

photo IMG_3915_zpscdqe6m8q.jpg

Contemplative Race Director right before we get ready to start

photo IMG_3916_zpsiykmorh4.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Comanche Park is a very nice Bexar County park with lots of facilities and several well-paved asphalt and cement trails that have lots of shade trees along the way, making it a nice park to run or walk or bike in on a warm Texas summer morning.  This was an out-and-back on the park’s paved trails.   The 5K started right on time.  I had completed a 5K the day before this one and did pretty good (32:49) but still was a bit nervous after being a in-patient in the hospital this past week for 2 days due to what I thought was a mini-stroke but turned out to be a mild TIA episode, thankfully because I went to the ER right away and got it caught early.  After all kinds of tests over 2 days, the doctors cleared me to be released, with some needed meds, and did clear me to run again, no waiting.  I lined up pretty much in the back of the crowd to make sure I had a slow start and took it easy for the first half or the 5K, not push it.  Feeling good at the halfway point so after my last walk break I pushed it on into the finish, crossing the line in 34: 49, a little slower than yesterday, but that was okay, I was feeling good and just happy I could run at all.

photo IMG_3918_zpswdxqobh1.jpg

photo IMG_3919_zpsk9orhztw.jpg

photo IMG_3920_zpsgjgruqpu.jpg

photo IMG_3921_zpsl48lyzow.jpg

photo IMG_3922_zps2uew2eyo.jpg

photo IMG_3924_zpsvbeadpxd.jpg

photo IMG_3925_zps1pvb7e1u.jpg

photo IMG_3926_zpssgumfna2.jpg

photo IMG_3927_zpsnu2pdht1.jpg

photo IMG_3928_zpsxqfbdggx.jpg

photo IMG_3929_zps5oxtuujw.jpg

photo IMG_3930_zpsrhiuawbt.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

First thing, got some water, did a little cool-down walk, and then went and sat in my car with the a/c on for about 10 minutes, sipping some water and slowly eating a Cliff Bar to get some protein and nourishment back into me.  Felt very refreshed after that and it was off to get some after photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo IMG_3932_zps1vgretrf.jpg

photo IMG_3933_zpsvhiu3ads.jpg

photo IMG_3934_zpspc6xpjs1.jpg

Me with one of the brothers

photo IMG_3935_zpsa33lvdv4.jpg

He cracked me up..

photo IMG_3936_zpst3sdu7on.jpg

And then got arrested....   

photo IMG_3937_zpskiohitgf.jpg

photo IMG_3938_zpssuz4t8br.jpg

photo IMG_3939_zpsawwas6sc.jpg

photo IMG_3941_zpssaqdyqlj.jpg

photo IMG_3944_zpsaztm5vip.jpg

photo IMG_3946_zpsbpbdazyx.jpg

photo IMG_3947_zpswpcxlufm.jpg

My friend Carolyn

photo IMG_3949_zpswphddnru.jpg

I always behave around Carolyn...she works for Bexar County Sheriff Dept, has handcuffs and will use them. 

photo IMG_3950_zpshl0rvbr3.jpg

photo IMG_3953_zpszo1afydp.jpg

EPILOGUE

This was a very family-friendly and nicely organized event by put on by E. Dragon Productions, a local race management company owned by my friends Erik and Kristin Burciaga.  The company also does shirt printing and lots more.  Athlete Guild did the timing and results for the race.  Nice quality tee race shirt, finisher medals for all finishers, and award medals to the top overall people in various categories.  Post-race goodies that included sausage-on-a-stick, bottled water, iced-down towels right at the finish, various chips, fruits, and watermelon slices, and more.  Nicely shaded pavilion at the park to sit in too, post-race, making it feel cooler after a warm run or walk.  I believe this event was an inaugural 5K but is definitely y a keeper for the future if they keep on doing this one.  Great people, great race venue, lots of goodies and lots of smiles.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for we participants;  all the sponsors, vendors, park police out there for us, volunteers, E. Dragon and Athlete Guild, the two sibling-rivalry brothers, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Appreciate so much what all of you do so we can have an event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

You had a TIA this week and still ran 2 5ks this weekend?! Glad you are ok and sounds like you are being cared for. I guess the picture was with the pro-beard brother?