Beginners and Beyond

Serious Question Ya'll (Read 98 times)

LRB

I  don't do lunges or squats either but some do. Just depends on your overall goals and needs.

Right. When you have weak hips as I do/did, lunges are a recipe for disaster so I placed emphasis on hip strength and lateral movements over the other stuff.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Do you have access to a local running store? The ones in the Baltimore area often have events where for a nominal fee (like $20 or less) you meet with the licensed medical professionals they bring in. Sometimes it is physical therapists, orthos, chiropractors, etc. Pretty sure it is a way for the medical folks to get their name out in the running community. It's not a full eval, but it could be a starting point.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks guys, originally in 2011 I did realize that I was going to have to make a choice between running and going further in body-building or fitness such as the ladies of Oxygen magazine and FitnessRx for women because that dream and long distance running just do not mix.

It sucks to have to make that choice, but running makes me truly happy.  The main reason I wanted to get back to doing squats and lunges is because sometimes I fear losing my booty and I know how good squats are with giving one a really good, popping butt.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Do you have access to a local running store? The ones in the Baltimore area often have events where for a nominal fee (like $20 or less) you meet with the licensed medical professionals they bring in. Sometimes it is physical therapists, orthos, chiropractors, etc. Pretty sure it is a way for the medical folks to get their name out in the running community. It's not a full eval, but it could be a starting point.

We have a couple of running stores, that is where I went in 2013 and found out that the GT 2000 series are perfect for me.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

RSX

I could never do squats to save my life. It didn't matter what weight I put on, or how my form was as I did it by a mirror to try not to screw it up. I always hurt for too long after. I started doing a lot of work on machines which helped as I can't screw it up.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I haven't done squats since a weight training class in college, but I've often included lunges in my routine, even lunges with hand weights. I've never had any pain from them even when running higher mileage, e.g 50+ mpw.  It may very well be your form or another muscular weakness that needs to be addressed

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Thanks guys, originally in 2011 I did realize that I was going to have to make a choice between running and going further in body-building or fitness such as the ladies of Oxygen magazine and FitnessRx for women because that dream and long distance running just do not mix.

It sucks to have to make that choice, but running makes me truly happy.  The main reason I wanted to get back to doing squats and lunges is because sometimes I fear losing my booty and I know how good squats are with giving one a really good, popping butt.

I don't necessarily think that weight training & running aren't compatible. It's a matter of what is your focus at that point in time. Winter months, I put more emphasis on strength training. If I am training for something, running is the focus.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't necessarily think that weight training & running aren't compatible. It's a matter of what is your focus at that point in time. Winter months, I put more emphasis on strength training. If I am training for something, running is the focus.

I am not talking about just your average weight training, I am talking about the athletes who put in hours a day at the gym, focusing on all parts of their body. People just as Jamie Eason (she has always been my favorite and an inspiration), Nicole Wilkins... and I can't think of other names but the website I've always used for workout ideas is www.fitnessrxwomen.com or www.oxygenmag.com, these women are serious about body building and total transformation which was something of a goal I had set back in 2010 but I fell in love with running.

I've never seen or read about a fitness/body building athlete running long distances such as 13.1 and up, or with weekly mileage of 40-50+, usually they only run for cardio or on the track for speed and their mileage doesn't normally pass 25-30 mpw.

30-60 minutes of strength training about 3-5 days a week is actually good for runners, but I used to go to the gym for an hour 6 days a week, and for all of March back in 2010 I was going twice a day, 6 times a week, an hour each so 2 hours a day - one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. Serious Weight/strength training was how I lost 20-25 lbs in 4 months and toned/trimmed my body, not cardio/aerobics. Smile I figure once I get up to a weekly mileage I am happy with, say 50 mpw as base mileage and my body has had time to adapt to it, then I can maybe get back to the kind of strength training I used to do. Smile

PRs

Village people

This is what I would do. I do a shit load of squats and lunges, weighted and jumping. I also lift. It took me a long time to be able to do a lunge correctly and I had someone helping me with form for several months. You need to find a balance and that might change depending on the season.

Hip Redux

If it's hurting me, and I don't have to do it, I would stop.

I have this debate in my head about running all the time lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have this debate in my head about running all the time lol

Lol.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Very Important Mention!

I should probably mention too that the irritation and aches would also occur whenever I would use my hyperextension machine for my lower back,

I haven't used it since November though, I've been focusing on doing Supermans instead, so far no issue there.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yesterday morning I added the Leg Curls, Leg Extension and Hip Abductor machines to my gym workout, so far 24 hours later I am still feeling good. No aches or pains, sadly though I have a freaking cold.

PRs