Beginners and Beyond

Surftown HM RR FTS (Read 55 times)

delicate flower

FWIW, I think racing in conditions like you did (high 60s DP and temp) is more difficult than heat + high humidity. In the summer, you know you have to slow. When it is cooler, it isn't as obvious, until you hit a point where your body screams WTF are you doing, you need to slow now.  The last half I did in conditions like that, I had something like a 12 minute positive split.

+1 to what others said about not tapering & being in the middle of training.

I would think if this is your highest placement, then it probably reflects improvement & that conditions were tough for all.

I compared the finish times from last year to this year.  Finish times were slower across the board today.

<3

hog4life

Congrats Phil, that's a strong showing with no taper and the humidity. Here in the south, our runs often look like we just climbed out of the river, so I know how you feel about the dripping shorts!

I've PR'd every marathon by a lot and I know that can't continue.

I BELIEVE I AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT. 

I am obviously the last person you want predicting marathon times for you. But I don't think you can really draw any conclusions from a race at 68 DP.

What does your coach say about all this?

This was indeed a rough day for racing in the B&B, based on the RR's posted. And there's at least one more trainwreck that's not even up yet.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, I am not a distance runner any longer so I'll leave any advice, etc., to the others who are currently experienced in that area.  Sorry you did not get the results you wanted, but even so, I'm always impressed by your race times.  If I had HALF your speed, lol, I'd be setting new PRs every week.

Nice looking medal!   Good luck with your upcoming full.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

workinprogress11

I'm sorry it didn't go the way you wanted it to, but you did great in those conditions, regardless. I'm curious as to your gut feeling about the BQ. Do you still think it's possible?  Does your coach?  I would go for it if I were in your position too, but was just curious what you think your chances are of pulling it off.

delicate flower

I'm sorry it didn't go the way you wanted it to, but you did great in those conditions, regardless. I'm curious as to your gut feeling about the BQ. Do you still think it's possible?  Does your coach?  I would go for it if I were in your position too, but was just curious what you think your chances are of pulling it off.

Still waiting on Coach's input from yesterday.  My BQ confidence wasn't really high going into yesterday's race, and obviously yesterday didn't help.  My only saving grace from yesterday is that it is a fast PR course and nobody that I know PR'd.  Nothing I have done this training cycle suggest a BQ is possible...none of my training runs and none of my races.  I'll have to see how my running goes over the next couple of weeks when the summer weather clears out so I can see how my paces look.  I'm still going to try to BQ.  I'm willing to risk a late race death march.

<3

workinprogress11

Still waiting on Coach's input from yesterday.  My BQ confidence wasn't really high going into yesterday's race, and obviously yesterday didn't help.  My only saving grace from yesterday is that it is a fast PR course and nobody that I know PR'd.  Nothing I have done this training cycle suggest a BQ is possible...none of my training runs and none of my races.  I'll have to see how my running goes over the next couple of weeks when the summer weather clears out so I can see how my paces look.  I'm still going to try to BQ.  I'm willing to risk a late race death march.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I learn from stuff like that. I'm glad you're still going to go for it since it probably will be the last chance for a while with the ironman training which is awesome, btw.

music_girl117

I'm still going to try to BQ.  I'm willing to risk a late race death march.

I like this attitude; best of luck!  I agree with the others that the 68 degree dewpoint was really unfortunate.  Maybe you will surprise yourself as cooler temps start coming.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

delicate flower

Super terrible race pics are up.  This was around mile 8.  Full saturation achieved sans rain.

<3

I'm still going to try to BQ.  I'm willing to risk a late race death march.

WTG. You might not get it. But if you don't go for it, you definitely won't. You're certainly close enough that it's worth a shot. Still anxious to hear what your coach has to say.

Dave