Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 39 times)

LRB

Then I won't answer any of them!

Not literally! Okay, fine. For the sake of Cyberic, DISCUSS.

LRB

Or not. 

bluerun

Super B****

Or not. 

I'm busy weeping because I can't sleep and I'm so tired I can't see straight. Tomorrow!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I'm busy weeping because I can't sleep and I'm so tired I can't see straight. Tomorrow!

When you get to never sleep-land, I'll already be there! 👎

Docket_Rocket

When you get to never sleep-land, I'll already be there! 👎

This circus is too entertaining to go to bed...

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Define soft? If we are talking about people who do not run, how can running a faster time six months from now be viewed as soft? If that is the case then he should set the bar, but if he is setting the bar, how realistic is it? What's it based on? Running is not a beauty contest, by that I mean something to be judged. Any improvement is improvement. On what basis does one begin to quantify improvement to the point that my improvement is better than yours? We both worked hard, why shouldn't you be recognized for your efforts?

Those are all rhetorical questions by the way.

Yep, I agree. You've structured an itch I had in the back of my mind into a clear point of view. Thanks.

But if the prize was big enough, I would agree with bluerun about intentionnally setting soft goals for oneself, to squash the goal and "cash in". A few participanrs jogged easy (for them). They could easily have run faster. That would not be improvement if they ran next year.

The prize, if there is one, will be small enough, or divided into three prizes to encourage more people into participating and improving, and less about cheating the system Smile

bluerun

Super B****

Define soft? If we are talking about people who do not run, how can running a faster time six months from now be viewed as soft? If that is the case then he should set the bar, but if he is setting the bar, how realistic is it? What's it based on? Running is not a beauty contest, by that I mean something to be judged. Any improvement is improvement. On what basis does one begin to quantify improvement to the point that my improvement is better than yours? We both worked hard, why shouldn't you be recognized for your efforts?

Those are all rhetorical questions by the way.

A "soft" goal would be something that isn't challenging at all.  Admittedly, it's easier to do when you've got something on which to base your prediction, but it's still possible to set the bar really low.  So, yes, while any improvement is an improvement, a "larger" one wouldn't necessarily be indicative of a harder effort -- some people are just naturally more talented, and you'd be rewarding that, not how hard they worked to achieve their goal.

But then, I have the same issue with the weight loss contests my office used to have.  It's just the way it works: it's easier to lose weight if you have a lot to lose.  I guess that's kind of the point, maybe, to "rig" it in such a way that the people who need it most will get the greatest benefit (via motivation), but it still kind of rubs me the wrong way.

And nope, sleep did not happen.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog