Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Zip dat ass up! (Read 31 times)

Cyberic

I ran 8 on my lunch break 

I used to be able to do that, but then new bosses came in 

onemile

I used to be able to do that, but then new bosses came in 

My boss lives in Florida.  #winning

workinprogress11

Now we just need to figure out how to run WHILE we are working without the laptop bouncing around.

Docket_Rocket

Nobody cares what I do during the day as long as I get my job done and don't take advantage of their good nature.  My boss is pretty laid back and awesome.  I'm in sales, which requires client lunches and dinners, etc., so they don't worry too much if I take long lunches on other days because they know I put in my time and work hard.

Sounds like my new boss and totally contrary to my old boss who once yelled at me for leaving at 4:28pm

and told me I owed him 2 mins after which I told him he owed me 58 mins for coming in early which ended the conversation pretty fast.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Now we just need to figure out how to run WHILE we are working without the laptop bouncing around.

You can just bring your work phone and answer one fucking phone call that lasts 2 hours. 🤦‍♀️

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Dave

Docket_Rocket

I have asked for one but the budget only goes to standing desk which is awesome when I have court on the phone.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

KCRuns

Been working at my current job for 18 years. Not a stressful job, which is very rare in my field of work (programmer-analyst) of 35 hours per week, all holidays are vacation days, and so on.

I would make money elsewhere, no doubt, but my salary per hour would not necessarily be greater, and my stress level would most probably be higher. I'm also afraid that if I change job, that newer job will lats for a year or two, and then I'm over 50 and looking for employment.

They're after me like leeches because I have good experience on a technology on which there's a big shortage of qualified professionnals. But that could change, fast.

Sounds like you're in a good place.  But it must also feel nice to be wanted, right?  Could you leverage their interest in you into a raise at your current company?  Or maybe it doesn't work like that in your field, I don't know.

KCRuns

I have asked for one but the budget only goes to standing desk which is awesome when I have court on the phone.

You should work that into your next big settlement.  Whoever you beat has to pay all the $$ plus buy you a treadmill desk Smile

sdWhiskers

Nobody cares what I do during the day as long as I get my job done and don't take advantage of their good nature.  My boss is pretty laid back and awesome.  I'm in sales, which requires client lunches and dinners, etc., so they don't worry too much if I take long lunches on other days because they know I put in my time and work hard.

Same here. I could be gone for 3 hours every day for lunch as long as I'm getting shit done.

One of my previous direct reports used to swim over lunch time and would tell me every time she needed to go a little earlier or later than her normal time. I told her to "stop telling me, just go and do what you need to do!" She was very productive so I had no worries about her gaming the system and I didn't need the daily workout updates

LRB

My job is awesome with the flexibility I'm afforded but running at lunch is basically impractical. I could pull it off if I really wanted to I suppose, but the disruption to my schedule would be significant plus the optics just wouldn't look good. And I'm all about optics (meaning I'm not going to do something that puts me in the spotlight and forces management to officially take a side)

Docket_Rocket

You should work that into your next big settlement.  Whoever you beat has to pay all the $$ plus buy you a treadmill desk Smile

I am actually bringing around $300K in UST feees a quarter with my three giant bankruptcies so paying for 1/4 of the payroll for my office. Maybe they ahould give me that for my next performance award.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Cyberic

Sounds like you're in a good place.  But it must also feel nice to be wanted, right?  Could you leverage their interest in you into a raise at your current company?  Or maybe it doesn't work like that in your field, I don't know.

Has its pros and cons, but suits me.

I cannot ask for a raise, because I'm at the highest step of the ladder possible right now in my field of work (which might sound like I'm rich said like that, but our salaries are the same as the provincial government, so I'm middle class). To earn more money at this company, I'd need to get a bonus for extra duties. I had a 4% extra for a while, but I had to interact with management too much. Wasn't worth it, lol.

We have a very good pension plan, too. If I can stay until I'm like 60, I can retire and I'm OK for life. I could retire at 55, but I'd have too many penalties. Full pension would be at 65, so right now the target is 60. I'll see when I get there.

onemile

My job is awesome with the flexibility I'm afforded but running at lunch is basically impractical. I could pull it off if I really wanted to I suppose, but the disruption to my schedule would be significant plus the optics just wouldn't look good. And I'm all about optics (meaning I'm not going to do something that puts me in the spotlight and forces management to officially take a side)

I'm salary and expected to do work on nights and weekends as needed as well as travel when asked. It's not frequent but it happens. I usually check my work email on my phone before and after running (sometimes during if my run goes much longer than an hour) just to make sure I respond to anything if it arises.  If I have meetings around noon, I plan my run around it. I don't think anyone notices how long I'm gone and no one has said anything about it. I really dgaf about optics because it's not like I'm going places at this company.

the optics just wouldn't look good. 

Yeah this is always out there. Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Just a question of knowing your company, both management and co-workers.

Dave