Beginners and Beyond

Rock CF Rivers Half Marathon Race Report (Read 79 times)

LRB

No I didn't "pay" for this.  I got it free off the internet. 

Docket_Rocket

Nice picture!  But me thinks you have been lying about your true height from us.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Seriously LRB, nice run.  Just one thought, not a criticism.

You noted that you made 2 surges in the race, one at mile 5, the other at mile 8.  Here are my thoughts.  It was not necessary to surge the first time as you are not gunning for an OA win, or even an AG win.  If the breathing and slapping were bothering you, then you could have simply slowed down and let them get ahead of you by about 5 meters of so, out of hearing range.  That might cost you 5-10 sec total, but you are not expending energy to eliminate the distraction.  Then when you crest a hill, that's when you surge -- most runners slow slightly at the crest to catch their breath - surge is really effective (that's how we did it in our XC days).

Secondly, you have heard it many times, but run the hills with even effort.  Your push to maintain pace probably expended a bit too much energy.  Again surge just over the crest if you want maximum effectiveness.

Thirdly, I wonder if you could have targeted a 6:40 pace to allow for tangents and hills.  Then I looked back at your splits and figured that no, you ran right on the appropriate level of fitness.  So here's to ya'

LRB

Nice picture!  But me thinks you have been lying about your true height from us.

I am actually 6 feet tall but always aspired greater heights in life so I have fun with it. When you are confident in who you are you can do that...

have fun that is, not lie. lol

LRB

Seriously LRB, nice run.  Just one thought, not a criticism.

You noted that you made 2 surges in the race, one at mile 5, the other at mile 8.  Here are my thoughts.  It was not necessary to surge the first time as you are not gunning for an OA win, or even an AG win.  If the breathing and slapping were bothering you, then you could have simply slowed down and let them get ahead of you by about 5 meters of so, out of hearing range.  That might cost you 5-10 sec total, but you are not expending energy to eliminate the distraction.  Then when you crest a hill, that's when you surge -- most runners slow slightly at the crest to catch their breath - surge is really effective (that's how we did it in our XC days).

Secondly, you have heard it many times, but run the hills with even effort.  Your push to maintain pace probably expended a bit too much energy.  Again surge just over the crest if you want maximum effectiveness.

Thirdly, I wonder if you could have targeted a 6:40 pace to allow for tangents and hills.  Then I looked back at your splits and figured that no, you ran right on the appropriate level of fitness.  So here's to ya'

No it's cool I appreciate it.

I could have slowed down but I did that once before when someone was drafting behind me and never recovered.  Of course that was forever ago and doing so now would probably have a different outcome.

I probably should have just gotten over myself and stayed right the hell where I was.  : : eggs on face : :

And hell yes to even effort on hills!  That's why I said I made a business decision to maintain pace, allowing for someone to say it was a baaaad  move!  lol

Docket_Rocket

I agree with fourouta.  But at least this time you registered and arrived earlier than your last race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

But at least this time you registered and arrived earlier than your last race.

Yes D, I reluctantly took your advice on that.  Emphassis on reluctant. lol

Docket_Rocket

Yes D, I reluctantly took your advice on that.  Emphassis on reluctant. lol

It work, so stop whining.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

workinprogress11

Nice race!  Congratulations on the AG award. Nice pics too.