Beginners and Beyond

Photo Report: Memorial Day Run for the Fallen (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

BEFORE THE START 

Organized by the local chapter of the national organization Wear Blue - Run to Remember, (www.wearblueruntoremember.org) , this event was held at Brackenridge Park in San Antonio.  Initially scheduled to be a 5K, the course had to be shortened a bit due to all the run, water on some of the park roads, etc.  It turned out to be around 2.4 or 2.5 miles; when I talked to some folks with Garmins post-race, the course varied among their results by about 1 to 2 tenths of a mile, so I'll just call it 2.5.  No awards, no official timing, etc., this was simply and emotionally a run to honor and remember the fallen.  Nice turnout, around 60 or so folks, including some of my fellow veteran team-mates from the San Antonio chapter of Team RWB (www.teamwrb.org).      I got a few pre-start photos.

Yours Truly, with friend and Team RWB member, Steve

photo 042_zpsedo6hmx7.jpg

Due do the rain, the river water in the park was pretty high

photo 050_zps1qmmdpgm.jpg

Egrets were taking to the trees.

photo 051_zpsnbaw5iow.jpg

and the ducks were out in force....

photo 007_zpssctxq4if.jpg

...which excited this doggie, who suddenly took to the water in an attempt to get one of them.....you can see his little black head in the water....he did not succeed

photo 005_zpsguh9amwz.jpg

...he got pretty close, though, until the duck finally got smart and took to flying to get out of there.

photo 006_zpsp7bzhdjc.jpg

Wear Blue had some memorial photos up at the start/finish site.

photo 010_zpsqt2dhuf5.jpg

Some of the participants

photo 003_zpskxomoqq4.jpg

photo 004_zps2qpcdugs.jpg

photo 008_zpsxqc1fgsl.jpg

photo 009_zpscinylbjs.jpg

photo 011_zps3uy3ebb9.jpg

photo 014_zpsisnsouqj.jpg

photo 016_zps4g8zz9gu.jpg

photo 017_zpsfwb4zi8i.jpg

Before we went onto the course, each participant got a slip of paper with the name of a person who had fallen during a past Memorial Day weekend, and then an 'honor circle' was formed and each name was read out.  After that, people were invited to announce the names of anyone he/she was personally running for.  Finally, a short prayer was said in group comradery, with each person holding the shoulder of the person in front of him/her.    Then we lined up and we were off.   then we were off.

ON THE COURSE

Going along the San Antonio Zoo fence-line near the aviary part of the zoo.

photo 019_zps2haqmyiy.jpg

photo 020_zpsbu3qhkb9.jpg

photo 021_zpslm4tgrpc.jpg

photo 022_zpseyxbopfj.jpg

photo 023_zps6qyf7fh7.jpg

photo 024_zps8yqdp9jq.jpg

photo 025_zpsjdevrj7v.jpg

One of the organizers and also a course marshal

photo 026_zpsau08gniu.jpg

Being greeted by the San Antonio Zoo/Brackenridge Park little train

photo 027_zpsigdedigr.jpg

On St. Mary's Street

photo 028_zpsmpbzuuvl.jpg

photo 029_zpswrhms2aq.jpg

On Mulberry Street, heading back to the park

photo 029_zpswrhms2aq.jpg

photo 031_zpstxoufpdc.jpg

photo 032_zpsomuay4yp.jpg

AFTER I FINISHED

Got a few photos of some of the participants coming in.

This kid and I were near each other for pretty much the whole distance.  One speedy kid.  If his mom had not slowed him down at one point, I don't think I would have passed him, lol.  As it was, he did beat his mom in - that is not his mom in the photo, she was still behind him - and while he was running away from her, a few of us 'Old Dog" guys ran with him and kept an eye on him for her.  I see medals in his future.

photo 033_zpsknalby6f.jpg

photo 034_zpsj1bfoy5i.jpg

photo 035_zps8gspbzig.jpg

photo 036_zpsgl68m2aw.jpg

photo 037_zps8i53bwsl.jpg

photo 038_zpsn6muikjw.jpg

photo 039_zpskbthpcc8.jpg

photo 044_zpshkjqou7e.jpg

photo 045_zpsybbpgbm3.jpg

Happy finishers...

The speedy young man with his mom.  I wish I had half this kid's energy, lol.

photo 040_zpsaviipdim.jpg

photo 041_zpsqw2dqdgy.jpg

photo 046_zpsjbifgci7.jpg

photo 047_zpsxki2xdwa.jpg

photo 048_zpsnpshlwcd.jpg

photo 049_zps6vumi9ex.jpg

Then it was off to the Team RWB area, where we celebrated the birthday of team-member Sylvia and enjoyed some really tasty grilled food, cold beer, water, etc., and birthday cake.  Nice way to end a run.

Birthday Girl Sylvia (2nd from right) and friends

photo 052_zpshv4k0xq4.jpg

Sylvia with son and daughter-in-law

photo 054_zpsitrmpotk.jpg

Team RWB grillers and food preparers.  They put on a good spread!

photo 001_zpsaq9ru8et.jpg

photo 053_zpsfhndeq3a.jpg

Soon to be our newest Team RWB family, mother and her twins.  I like that little girl already  - Go Cubbies!

photo 059_zpsf05mn1mf.jpg

photo 060_zps14tgwmmn.jpg

Sylvia cutting the birthday cake...

photo 061_zpsbxeaynld.jpg

photo 062_zpszxnaruj5.jpg

Group photo - some members of Team RWB San Antonio post-run, enjoying good food and good company.

photo 057_zpsrn41czmx.jpg

photo 058_zps5tmswjxh.jpg

EPILOG

A very nice way to spend Memorial Day morning. This is the first time I've done this event, as I was not all that familiar with Wear Blue Run to Remember..  Very nicely done, well organized, really nice people in this group too.   Definitely would do another of their events in the future.  Mucho thanks to all the organizers and volunteers, and mucho thanks to the Team RWB folks who gave us a great post-race feast.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a great way to celebrate/commemorate Memorial Day. You seem to have a really good active RWB group in SA.