Beginners and Beyond

Monday penguins are hot and cold (Read 16 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!

Zelanie

Hot in the SW, not too bad out here (it might get up to 60), but I know that a lot of you are still freezing your tail feathers off.

Yesterday I had 8 on the schedule, but was behind on my miles after getting home late on Friday.  So I ran my 8, came inside for a few minutes, then too the dogs out for 4.  Today I have 6-8 with the group.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Asthma doctor this morning. Pilates and 6-7 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

'Morning.  Short run inside again this afternoon, but looking good for getting back outside later in the week.

Philliefan33

Found out this morning that I gained entry into the Broad Street Run (10-miler straight down Briad Street in Philadelphia). It's on May 1st -- I've got some time to build mileage.

Almost four miles out in the cold and snow this morning.

GinnyinPA

Well, I completed my marathon, but it wasn't pretty.  I'm not really sure what happened, but after 13 good miles, I began to walk and I pretty much walked most of the last 8 miles.  The weather wasn't that hot (high 70's), but it was more than I was used to.  I may also have overdone the previous day with a short hike and run in about 85 degrees.  Or maybe just not sleeping much the previous week got to me.  In any case, at some point I decided I'd rather enjoy a brisk walk then suffer a slow jogging shuffle. Final time was 4:46:20. Oddly enough, I still came in second in my age group. Of course, there were only 5 of us in my AG who finished.  (Another woman finished before me, but she never passed the timing mats at 13 and 23, so they disqualified her. ) I actually ended up in the first aid tent after the race, when I found I couldn't breathe and then had a panic attack, or something, and really couldn't breathe.  They ended up giving me oxygen, and made sure I wasn't having a heart attack. 20 minutes, later, I was fine.

It was a pretty race, starting before dawn in the mountains, running down a dirt road through the desert, then into a nice neighborhood, then a mixture of houses and desert out to the park. I saw a coyote, a hawk and some quail as well as some folks on horseback that had to wait for the runners to pass. The desert was surprisingly green. It was a well run race.  They offered all sorts of goodies at most of the aid stations, including bacon and donuts. They had cold towels at two of the stations, but I never managed to find them, except discarded on the ground.  They would have helped.

Today I'm stiff and sore, but not as bad as  I was after my last race.  I was able to climb up into our camper with only a little pain, and this morning we walked about 2 miles around the park before heading to my brother's house.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, sorry it didn't go as planned but that seems like a decent time for walking a third of the race.  High 70's seems hot to me.  Glad you got checked you out after the race and are okay.  Enjoy the rest of your trip.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

At our track today (the one where there is always some issue), just as we finished running and were cooling down, a HS kid reversed direction for several laps.  Never seen that on an open public track.  I'm guessing that their coaches have them unwind on their school track at the end of a workout.  Must not have told them it's not a great idea on other tracks.

Zelanie

We always reverse direction for recoveries at the HS track, but I don't think I'd do it on an indoor track if all off the other traffic was going the other direction.

Ginny, that sounds absolutely hellish.  Glad you're OK.  2/5 in your AG (and all of those people who trained and finished) says a lot about the course and the conditions out there.  Congrats on earning that medal!