Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) Diploma Dash 5K (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%2012%20Diploma%20Dash%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 12th race of 2017 was the UTSA (University of Texas at San Antonio) Diploma Dash 5K held on Feb 25th.  This race helps fund Alumni Association scholarships.  The route that goes around the university campus.  This is a great event with a really great after-party too.  Dog friendly event too, for those who like to run with their dog(s). I work for UTSA so I try to do this event whenever my race calendar permits.  I have not done every one of them but in the 20 years I’ve worked for UTSA I have done quite a few of them.   Arrived with about an hour to go and got some pre-start photos.

Let's get me out of the way first, so you can then get to the actual photogenic people. 

I have arrived.  In front of the UTSA Convocation Center

Roadrunner colors are orange and blue... I prefer orange...my favorite color....matches my personality..  

photo 007_zpsondl4eld.jpg

photo 009_zpszbwfi9dn.jpg

Me and my friend Jim.. my very speedy friend, who finally got out of my age group this year...

photo 015_zps9v4xvkk7.jpg

Jim's tickling me!  

photo 016_zpsyj63erly.jpg

Me and UTSA co-worker and friend Anne of the Alumni Association....she is one of the key people who gets this race put all together every year.  Thanks!

photo 017_zpsjlch2irv.jpg

With UTSA mascot, Rowdy Roadrunner

photo 025_zpsv5guvvsc.jpg

Sausage cookers and the sausage wrappers

photo 003_zps5df2r0pq.jpg

photo 004_zpsnmtbbata.jpg

Music Man...giving the UTSA Roadrunners hand sign....  "Birds Up!"

photo 006_zpsdmqaqn8g.jpg

H-E-B Mascot, Buddy

photo 012_zpsdvk1c7pv.jpg

These guys were walking around picking up any litter and debris on the ground so nobody would trip over anything...thanks guys!

photo 018_zps1i3zio1m.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, et al

photo 001_zpsfj4ngqcb.jpg

photo 002_zpsy6cqvj6b.jpg

photo 010_zpsayzw9f5f.jpg

photo 011_zpsu30y0yew.jpg

photo 013_zpshzxwvxsq.jpg

photo 014_zpskt4qknrm.jpg

photo 019_zps4q2laiba.jpg

photo 020_zpsfnuwhuck.jpg

photo 021_zpspgta3e4e.jpg

photo 023_zpsb8m1nsqy.jpg

photo 022_zpsdj2ls0uy.jpg

photo 026_zps4llcbzgw.jpg

photo 028_zpsbmc1awf6.jpg

Getting ready to start....ahead of me.....and behind me..

photo 029_zpscv8hs24t.jpg

photo 030_zpssuemjkgz.jpg

ON THE COURSE

As usual, Mother Nature was on another roll with the crazy Texas weather thing.  We were in the 70s and 80s most of the work week and then the temp dropped for the weekend, with a bit of a chilly wind, and temp at the 8 a.m start time around 48 – 50 degrees; we did have sunshine.  Not too bad, but that wind was blowing pretty stiff in places along the course. The course changed a bit this year from the course we did last year.  Although there were a few more hills on this year’s course, I like this course better and hope they keep using it in the future. At one point we did a small out-and-back on one of the campus hills, so I got to see some of the faster runners – something I don’t usually ever get to see at my slow pace, lol, in a point to point or loop course – and cheer on friends as we passed by each other going in our respective directions. 

Up the first hill I go....

photo 031_zpsonzaerk6.jpg

photo 032_zpskhxhypie.jpg

photo 033_zpsmumynqkm.jpg

photo 034_zpsc9m0kugp.jpg

photo 035_zpsc890qrod.jpg

photo 036_zpsv1hrsk2v.jpg

Down the other side I go.....as you can see toward the bottom of the photo, we had another hill to go up after we did this first hill.  That second hill I ran up nonstop.

photo 037_zpsplpqnzt7.jpg

Top of the 2nd hill, these guys were out there playing music for us

photo 038_zpsdwil9fd9.jpg

Just past the halfway point...heading for the third hill..

photo 039_zpsm2ot7ewh.jpg

photo 040_zps5yljhqkr.jpg

photo 041_zpsj1c0atfu.jpg

photo 042_zpsfcgbysoe.jpg

On Hill 3....

photo 043_zps6j8ond1w.jpg

photo 044_zpsyfz2qpq7.jpg

photo 045_zpsruotuunm.jpg

photo 046_zpsjmlijqmu.jpg

After that, it was nonstop the last 1.3 miles back to the finish.  We did have one more hill to climb just before we went to the finish line.

AFTER MY FINISH

I ended up with a chip time of 32:38 finishing 9th in my age group of 60-64…there are some speedy old guys in my age group, lol, the first 3 all finished in the low 20s.  I was quite happy with my results and had felt strong the whole way and ‘blasted’ up all the hills I did in good order.  Also, it did not hurt that, as I work at UTSA, I often run around the campus after work and sometimes before work, so I was very familiar with the course roads, as I run them quite a lot, the hills included.  After cooling down a bit, I was out-and-about to take the after-photos;  and, of course, to enjoy some of the many post-race goodies, that included beer, sausage wraps, fresh fruit, cookies, water and various Pepsi products, some kid of rice-dish in a prepackaged box – very popular with the students, as most of them are on a budget, I am sure, with their tuition, etc., so these things were being handed out like crazy and taken pretty quickly by lots of students.  Another popular area was an automatic camera that was set up with a timer, and you could push the camera button, stand in front of the camera and get your photo taken…and then find the results later on line.   There were just numerous vendors/sponsors out there, all giving away lots of freebies, a music man playing music for us, and much more. .   Lots of stuff going on after this one, so much I can’t remember it all.  Nice after-party!

photo 047_zpslnuyvaj8.jpg

photo 048_zpsc88snlkp.jpg

I gave him a dog biscuit but he wanted a burger, lol.

photo 049_zps9svsb8pm.jpg

Good dogs!

photo 050_zpszgh8pabb.jpg

photo 051_zps8vzwwag3.jpg

photo 053_zpspwmtgfmo.jpg

Nice chat with this guy and the lady he was with, who is also a survivor....he loves the camera, lol.... good guy...

photo 054_zps3q3zkg9i.jpg

photo 055_zpsh9gh1nap.jpg

photo 056_zpspslziuit.jpg

photo 057_zpsmlegvaiq.jpg

photo 058_zpsy6iitqbj.jpg

Thanks for bringing all the beer, guys!

photo 059_zps7rgu4xai.jpg

photo 060_zps9p0xluab.jpg

photo 061_zpsc1vq3ytl.jpg

Two old vets...Army Airborne Guy and Air Force Guy

photo 062_zpsxebwoiru.jpg

photo 063_zpsxdgnegpr.jpg

Me with friend Carolyn...I've known her for several years now....and she never ages!

photo 064_zpsdbujbrkm.jpg

This young lady told me she was with her mother.....I thought it was her bit older sister...

photo 065_zpsgumed2un.jpg

My friend Bill with Duke....they are both speedy...I think they finished in 20-something...

photo 066_zpshlrsbhul.jpg

photo 067_zpspekhp6xe.jpg

photo 068_zpspdjf2jqc.jpg

photo 069_zps09qnp7on.jpg

photo 070_zpswtm2naqz.jpg

Just beautiful......oh, and the ladies too...  

photo 071_zpszk7xq3d3.jpg

One of my upcoming races these folks are promoting...Shamrock 5K, the oldest St. Paddy's Day in San Antonio

photo 072_zpszijlqrdz.jpg

Kept trying to catch the little one in front looking at the camera...nope..he's not gonna do it, lol

photo 073_zps3werhdsk.jpg

photo 074_zpstb43tzj1.jpg

One of the sweetest dogs I ever met...she is very friendly...

photo 075_zpsbrxf28vv.jpg

We kind of look alike, lol...I know when I run I breathe like she does...

photo 083_zpshk0tksjn.jpg

photo 085_zpswnvurjyk.jpg

photo 076_zpsdfwuaa82.jpg

One of my co-workers with "Duke Andy", who will be one of the dogs in the Fiesta San Antonio Royal Dog Court this year

photo 077_zpskopy29u3.jpg

photo 078_zpsqq8u5dx9.jpg

I am with doggie, lol....nap time!

photo 079_zpscdbjzvgt.jpg

photo 080_zpskynde5bd.jpg

photo 081_zpslr3u9hx9.jpg

photo 082_zpsop0yot2p.jpg

Uh oh...he's baaaack.....

photo 086_zps5wd0glwb.jpg

photo 088_zpsnsxkxlhm.jpg

OK, Beast went back to his palace...now it's just the beauties... 

photo 090_zpsq4szp2zz.jpg

photo 091_zpsvnym3q7d.jpg

photo 092_zpswnvyjr2r.jpg

These folks know how to relax post-race

photo 093_zpsim2fx1oe.jpg

On my way to the UTSA gym to shower and change, ran into these two friends of mine..

photo 094_zpsa3m4zywg.jpg

Before I headed home, got a photo of the iaapweb crew....they were too busy for me to get them during race time...thanks, guys, for the course set-up, timing, race results, etc.

photo 095_zpsbcjhqvce.jpg

EPILOGUE

Really nicely organized event for a good cause, nice quality tech tee race shirt, nice course, heckuva party, good facilities at the UTSA Convocation Center – inside bathrooms instead of porta-potties, always appreciated by participants – and really nice UTSA Roadrunners ‘goodie bag’ – this one is a keeper bag, nice design:

photo 096_zpsq8u0pg9r.jpg

Yep, this one is definitely a ‘keeper” on the race calendar.  If you’ve never done this one, you should give it a go, I do not think you will be disappointed.

MUCHO THANKS to all the Alumni Association folks and UTSA volunteers that work really hard to get this all organized, and to all the volunteers out there for us;  and also to law enforcement, the many, many sponsors supporting this one, etc. - all the great people who made this one happen for all we participants.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

I love all the dog pictures from your races. Almost all the races in MD are no dogs.