Beginners and Beyond

Race Report : Talladega 21000 Half Marathon (Read 76 times)

outoftheblue

You did fantastic and are easily going to go sub 2 on your next one.  Congrats!

Life is good.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Nice first HM attempt!

I have the remnants of a blister just like that on the other foot!  And it is a bitch.

Did I see pictures of you doing *static* stretches?  tsk tsk.   Could have lost your 7 seconds right there.

music_girl117

I echo everyone else - awesome job!  I completely understand the frustration of falling a little short though.  In my first HM, I missed my goal by 16 seconds, and I had also walked a bit toward the end.  But I learned from it and crushed my goal in the next one!  Anyway, I still think you did great.  Congrats!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

From the Internet.

Nice job Jimmy! And your kids are too cute Smile Agree with everyone else - only 7 seconds off, you'll crush it next time!

PADRunner

Great job for our first HM!

Zelanie

Congratulations on getting through your first HM!  Now you know what to expect, everything will be that much easier the next time around!  I have to agree with the others that I think what happened was just a plain lack of mileage base to draw upon here, coupled with an ambitious goal pace.  All things considered, you held it together really well!

PS- My HM PR is 2 seconds away from my goal, oh well.  I'll get it eventually.

Good report and pics, Jimmy.

Glad you got a HM under your belt, *and* came incredibly close to your A goal.  Nice job!

The next one should be a shoe-in for sub 2.

tracilynn

I saw it on FB but loved reading your RR. Very impressive holding that pace with sketchy training.  You should be very proud of that!  Gorgeous kids and your little man is growing fast Smile

~~~~~~~

Traci

MI_Tim

Shake And Bake

happylily

You did so well! Congratulations, Jimmy! And congrats on your family as well, you and your wife have beautiful children. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Dad on the run.

Yes, Yes we do!

You did so well! Congratulations, Jimmy! And congrats on your family as well, you and your wife have beautiful children. 

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

Nice job! I wish I had been as smart as you and backed out of my HM when the injuries popped up. You waited until the time was right and rocked it! 

Love the Half

Ouch at the blister.  I know that some folks will tell you that you shouldn't be pissed off at the result but hell yes you should be pissed.  I've PR'd and been pissed when I knew I could have run better.  But, you can take that and channel it into a positive and it looks like you have already done that.  You analyze what happened and train/race better next time.  I agree that speed work is important even if your mileage is lowish.  It terms of workouts that teach you to push at the end, I like taking a long run and making it a progression run.  So, on your normal long run, rather than just jogging the whole thing, finish the last 25-30% at a tempo effort.  That will seem easy when you start but it's very tough by the end.  The good thing though is that it doesn't put a whole lot more stress on you than a typical long run but you get a lot of benefit from it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).