Beginners and Beyond

Photos: Confluence State Park Run in Wenatchee, Washington (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

Here is yet another of my photo reports.

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more!

I went to Wenatchee, Washington, with my wife from Jul 29 - August 4, for her 40th high school reunion. During that week I did manage to get some running in, including a 5K on July 31,  a 4.2 mile run on August 1, a 3.2 mile run on August 1 in Confluence State Park, and a really wild trail run at Icicle Gorge Trail on August 2.   These runs were quite a change from San Antonio as the morning temps were usually in the low to middle 60s......sweeeet!   Below are some the photos I took at Confluence State Park, which is right near Wenatchee.

Across the bridge from the State Park

photo 071_zpswrttq3lh.jpg

View of the river from the bridge

photo 072_zpsz2mepj4l.jpg

photo 073_zps7eymtlal.jpg

In the Horan Natural Area, near the State Park

photo 074_zpskmqgvlik.jpg

photo 075_zpsvx0rpcei.jpg

View of the hills in the Eastern part of Wenatchee

photo 077_zpsih40wtsd.jpg

photo 079_zpspirkafar.jpg

Back in the state park and a nice view of the river from the park's paved trail

photo 080_zpsxfljhxu4.jpg

photo 081_zpsv8yyuzls.jpg

Mucho thanks to these two Rangers who gave me all the low-down on the park and the Horan area.

photo 082_zpsyoer7mu2.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt