Beginners and Beyond

Five days you work, One whole day to play - It's Saturday! (Read 45 times)

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nurunner, nice race! Nice to have no wind, it's such a rarity on the shore.

Coastal

Baboon- Nicely done! Congrats on the PR!

Coastal- What happened?

Well I tried to run today. Wednesdays run didn't go so well and was in some pain with this hip flexor. Kept it really conservative with just 2m. No pain but some tightness. Will give it a go again tomorrow for something short.I'm loosing my freaking mind. I know its only been a week off but I feel like I'm loosing all my fitness (I know I'm not). You know; you think taper crazies are bad...this sucks. My hope is that I can resume some easy running while this thing fully heals up. Will probably be starting my HM cycle in Jan so I need to be 100% and in decent aerobic shape.

It's just the knee thing.  Finally got into the doc last week and have a referral for PT.  Only another 3 weeks to wait for that.

Sorry to hear about the hip flexor.  It sounds trite, but don't worry about losing fitness.  You haven't lost any and if you do you'll regain it quickly enough.   It's harder than taper madness because at least when tapering you're doing some running.   Hang in there.  Just get well.

Docket_Rocket

It's just the knee thing.  Finally got into the doc last week and have a referral for PT.  Only another 3 weeks to wait for that.

Sorry to hear about the hip flexor.  It sounds trite, but don't worry about losing fitness.  You haven't lost any and if you do you'll regain it quickly enough.   It's harder than taper madness because at least when tapering you're doing some running.   Hang in there.  Just get well.

Ugh.  What part of the knee is it?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

Ugh.  What part of the knee is it?

It the same right knee thing we discussed a while back.  I should have just gone in to the doctor when it started.  Doc thinks it is plica syndrome.  My knee cap is tracking to the outside which is putting stress on the medial plica.  We're going to do PT to see if it resolves.  If not we can try an injection, MRI, etc...  My Dr. appt was 2 months to the day after I had to walk home from a run.

oldfartrunner

Thanks...as far as the coach goes, I asked him twice "Are you sure you really want me to race a 5K?"  He insisted I'd be fine but I had my doubts.  I know to trust him though.  I've got a 10K next Saturday too.

Short RR:

My warm up felt better than I expected, but there was definitely some fatigue there.  I lined up a couple of rows back because I was expecting something like a 21 minute 5K.  Tired legs, plus I have a cold.  I ran "comfortably hard" from the start and not at 5K effort.  I just didn't know how my legs would respond.  I didn't count the people in front of me because there were so many of them.  So for the first mile, I was just cruising, feeling good, enjoying the run.  Lots of people around me were sucking wind already, so I knew they were doomed.   My Garmin was being a dick.  I had no pace reading, then it was in the 9's, and my HR would not connect.  So, I stopped looking at it.  I hit the 1.5 mile turnaround feeling good, so I picked up the pace a little and starting passing people, and more people, and suddenly there were only three people in front of me.  A course marshall at mile 2 yelled "12:30!" and I thought, "Oh shit, that's close to a PR."  So, I stepped on the gas and gave it my all the last half of the race.  I passed another guy (kid) and was running side by side with another for the next half mile.  I pulled ahead into second by a few steps with a quarter mile to go, but he had another gear and flew past me, but I knew I was well ahead of the next person.  The race timer at the finish line shouted "19:01" as I crossed and I was like holy shit.  I collapsed in the grass for a few minutes, totally spent.  Splits were 6:20, 6:30, 6:06.  The old PR was over two years old and I am thrilled to have beaten that.

Garmin only got 3.03 miles, but the course is certified and I see other people on Strava got 3.1 miles, so this counts.  I also figure my HM and FM PR's are both long, so screw it.  Even if the course was short, which I don't think it was, this would equate to a 19:35 which would be my second best 5K.  Hell of a race either way and I don't know how the hell I pulled this off.

Way  to go Baboon!!! You are a Beast for sure!  Feels good to move to another level don't it.  Go get that sub 40, 10K now!

oldfartrunner

It the same right knee thing we discussed a while back.  I should have just gone in to the doctor when it started.  Doc thinks it is plica syndrome.  My knee cap is tracking to the outside which is putting stress on the medial plica.  We're going to do PT to see if it resolves.  If not we can try an injection, MRI, etc...  My Dr. appt was 2 months to the day after I had to walk home from a run.

Hang in there Coastal. Sad

RunningOnSand

Coastal & JayB, heal up!

Coastal (and maybe JayB, too (minus the PT part)), I know you're on the waitlist for your PT right now, but is there anyone in the area who does ART? I started seeing a chiro who specializes in ART in October and IDK if it's that or other things, but he's really helped loosen up a ton of my joints that seemed to be "stuck" (super tight, lots of scar tissue built up, ligaments & muscles weren't gliding smoothly). Maybe you've already tried it or have no interest in it, but it may be worth looking into? 

Nurunner, nice race! Nice to have no wind, it's such a rarity on the shore.

So true.  I was sweatin' bullets!

Sorry about the knee, Coastal.  We can be a stubborn lot when it comes to getting ourselves to the doctor.  Hope PT goes well and you're on the mend soon!