Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 56 - Alamo Beer 5K and 10K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2056%20Alamo%20Beer%205K%20and%2010K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 56th race of 2018 was the Alamo Beer 5K on August 5th, held at Alamo Beer, a local brewery near downtown San Antonio.   There also was a 10K. The event was put on by local race management company “Scallywompus” which has some of the best local area races around.  Timing was done by one of their partnership companies, iaapweb., another local race management company which puts on some pretty darn good races too..  This was the first race in a series of 4 races designed to gradually build up mileage for the upcoming San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon  and Half Marathon.  Each increasing race distance event – starting with the 10K for the first one – also has a 5K included at each of the races.   I live fairly close to the Alamo Brewery – it’s almost a straight shot right down the highway from my area – so was able to sleep in a bit and then arrived with about an hour to go to the 8 a.m. start of the 10K.  The 5K started at 8:30 a.m.  Parking was already pretty crowded when I arrived, but found a space, got my timing chip, and then got some pre-start photos of some of the 10K and 5K people, volunteers, sponsors, vendors, etc.

With "Mr. Scallywompus" - Bart

photo IMG_4642_zpsuhv9pusw.jpg

Welcome to Alamo Beer

photo IMG_4638_zpsr0vnhwqn.jpg

Our Music Man

photo IMG_4662_zps6ylkw7ul.jpg

Friend Jose, co-owner of iaap which did the timing, results, etc.

photo IMG_4664_zps1kfydhm2.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc.

photo IMG_4635_zpsmuthdvkl.jpg

photo IMG_4637_zpsahudem2d.jpg

photo IMG_4639_zpsys2ecsht.jpg

photo IMG_4645_zpsnbawq5bk.jpg

photo IMG_4646_zpskwsvwoq8.jpg

photo IMG_4648_zpsh3vaf3g4.jpg

photo IMG_4649_zpszpedlme7.jpg

photo IMG_4650_zpsnxbuxlun.jpg

photo IMG_4651_zpsovwtky4h.jpg

photo IMG_4652_zpsthi5g2l5.jpg

photo IMG_4653_zpsvuzrqcf7.jpg

photo IMG_4654_zpsee8ngksj.jpg

photo IMG_4655_zps5ygwrbxo.jpg

photo IMG_4656_zpskqdc39ve.jpg

photo IMG_4657_zpssdm6ysxx.jpg

photo IMG_4659_zpszr5ehpix.jpg

photo IMG_4658_zpsojjvqlg6.jpg

photo IMG_4660_zpsqyrcbvg0.jpg

photo IMG_4661_zps0qb4oefa.jpg

photo IMG_4665_zpsmnv4dnsl.jpg

Official photographer, my friend Cecilia

photo IMG_4669_zps7psciosx.jpg

With her hubby, 'adversting' for their upcoming Loteria 5K

Our MC, Jason

photo IMG_4676_zpstzn5yiak.jpg

photo IMG_4675_zps87irb7th.jpg

photo IMG_4677_zpsoz835acs.jpg

ON THE COURSE

National Anthem was played and then the 10K folks took off at 8 a.m.  The 10K participants were doing two loops of the course, the 5K folks one loop.  The 5K folks started at a different start line to keep the finish area clear for the 10K folks doing their two loops.  The finish line for the 10K and 5K was the same.  The course was on local neighborhood streets near the brewery, with a climb up and then down historic Hays Street bridge and also on a challenging but not too steep hill – more long than steep.  After that hill we did an out-and-back part on the course, then down the hill and headed to the finish.  I was near the back of the pack at the start, to took me a while to get going after I crossed the timing mat – this is a very popular event so was quite crowded – and then took a few more photos on course than I normally do.  Also, with my recent back episode, did not really want to push it just yet. Ended up with a 36:19 finish time, 5th in my age group and felt really good the whole way, so I was happy with that.

10K folks getting ready to go.  My friend Max always runs with the flag - and quite speedily too - 7-something mintute pace.  Our MC, Jason, doing the countdown

photo IMG_4666_zpskuizq3nh.jpg

My friend George was bike pacer for the 10k

photo IMG_4667_zpsl3dk0ibx.jpg

photo IMG_4668_zpsgpxrwu4b.jpg

And the 10K folks are off!  The guy that won did it in 39:18

photo IMG_4670_zpslggbpps7.jpg

Dogs were allowed

photo IMG_4672_zpsmv1bwogx.jpg

photo IMG_4673_zps50qwtrpo.jpg

On the 5K course now. Historic Hays Street Bridge above me.  I will be there in a few minutes, going up that thing.

photo IMG_4678_zpsuchskjzb.jpg

photo IMG_4680_zpsofdhc5sw.jpg

photo IMG_4679_zpsxznjws1b.jpg

Heading toward the bridge ramp

photo IMG_4681_zpsumrdn87v.jpg

photo IMG_4682_zpsmsau0rm8.jpg

Bridge behind us now.  We made a left turn at the next corner, and the bridge ramp was on our left.

photo IMG_4683_zpskyozdwe6.jpg

photo IMG_4684_zpshfkc7wuz.jpg

On the bridge, looking ahead, into the sun

photo IMG_4685_zpshaw3tijz.jpg

Behind me...nice view of some of downtown San Antonio

photo IMG_4686_zpspaufexi6.jpg

photo IMG_4688_zpsoto36ohq.jpg

Down the bridge, right turn, left turn onto the long hill on the course, and then on the road where we did an out-and-back.  It was not really that far to the turn-round point but mentally, lol, it felt like it took forever.

Heading into the sun again. Some of the 10K folks, who did 2 loops and some of the speedier 5K folks coming toward me.

photo IMG_4689_zpsotisvnqo.jpg

photo IMG_4693_zpsypie9po8.jpg

photo IMG_4694_zpsrpboegu9.jpg

Looking behind me where I'd just been

photo IMG_4691_zpscows9fep.jpg

photo IMG_4692_zpswhxd5msz.jpg

Made the turn-round and an now heading for the finish.   I am on the right.  People coming toward me are heading to the turn-round.

photo IMG_4695_zpsl7yvdbth.jpg

photo IMG_4697_zpsyi5mjtjc.jpg

photo IMG_4698_zps9yj2zgyf.jpg

photo IMG_4701_zpsv0hmqekk.jpg

photo IMG_4700_zpsbpmtquga.jpg

Looking behind me...

photo IMG_4696_zps0wpxptis.jpg

photo IMG_4699_zpsbf9msfzj.jpg

photo IMG_4703_zpspfyuicpf.jpg

Looking ahead again.  Once this incline is crested it will be down the hill we came up, a right turn and then back to the finish line.

photo IMG_4702_zpsmt2ze16z.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

First-thing, got a banana and some water and sat down in the shade just to relax for a few and cool down and get rehydrated. Pretty warm day, in the upper 70s for the event and not a lot of shade on the course.  After that, got my free Alamo Beer – hit the spot – and between my rehydrating and banana-eating and enjoying my beer, and after too, wandered around taking photos of the happy finishers, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Various

photo IMG_4704_zpswj95h0ve.jpg

photo IMG_4705_zpsmozz6mpf.jpg

Award guys, displaying the age-group award glasses

photo IMG_4706_zpsioz5iide.jpg

photo IMG_4707_zpsczc0kknk.jpg

70+, enjoying that beer he earned on a warm 5K day

photo IMG_4708_zpsvlqekx4e.jpg

All participants got a finisher medal

photo IMG_4709_zpsd9czoxx2.jpg

photo IMG_4710_zpsgfk5nyju.jpg

photo IMG_4711_zpsg7dndyqf.jpg

My friend Don (holding the walking stick), inspiring guy.  This guy - a brain cancer survivor - is one speedy walker and he does long distance walks too.  He is inspiring.

photo IMG_4712_zps3xb0hy6u.jpg

photo IMG_4713_zpsa5dkgwaj.jpg

Enjoying the beer!

photo IMG_4714_zpsdq54k8vg.jpg

photo IMG_4715_zps4tyhdiei.jpg

photo IMG_4716_zpsls25frkl.jpg

photo IMG_4717_zpsv0bughr4.jpg

photo IMG_4718_zpsytrdxae1.jpg

photo IMG_4720_zps29azgu7g.jpg

photo IMG_4721_zps9eslrz4s.jpg

This guy walked the course.....hills and all...took him a while, but he sure did it!  Way to go!

photo IMG_4723_zpslmws5xqg.jpg

photo IMG_4724_zpsfe1zmzu3.jpg

photo IMG_4733_zpshizk5faa.jpg

photo IMG_4734_zpsdupje9jc.jpg

photo IMG_4735_zpsl3gbkimw.jpg

photo IMG_4736_zpsdm7ckzpg.jpg

photo IMG_4737_zpspy02fngw.jpg

My friend Joe - 2nd from left - has overcome so many challenges, it's amazing he's still here.  One inspiring guy.

photo IMG_4738_zps3c88wjbv.jpg

Some of the age group winners   photo IMG_4719_zpsxfmwrf4w.jpg

photo IMG_4725_zpsuwpulmo7.jpg

photo IMG_4726_zpsywhrdejr.jpg

photo IMG_4727_zpsqvw6lpfw.jpg

photo IMG_4728_zpsuifuesdq.jpg

photo IMG_4729_zpsnndkpaqz.jpg

photo IMG_4730_zpscfvxqtht.jpg

photo IMG_4731_zps0yk8blqr.jpg

photo IMG_4732_zps0b7yqedp.jpg

Finally....a look at the race shirt....

photo IMG_4739_zpsuxwx148v.jpg

EPILOGUE

The Scallywompus slogan is “Come for the race. Stay for the party.”  They are not kidding either.  Always a great after-party for their events.  Bottled water, Gatorade, cold beer – and some vendors with stronger drinks if you wanted  that – sausage on a stick, several kinds of fruits, lots of give-away stuff by the sponsors and vendors, food truck on the premises…so much stuff I forget what some of it was; but all good and lots of fun.  Also, our Music Man Paul playing tunes.  Nice quality-tee race shirt and nicely laid-out course – challenging in places, but nice.  Scallywompus age group awards are always these really nice glasses and mugs.  I’ve been doing Scallywompus events for years…will certainly continue to do them as long as I am able….and most assuredly would recommend them to others.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for we participants:  all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors, police officers out there for us, Alamo Beer for hosting, and, of course, “Mr. Scallywompus” himself, Bart Childers.  Also anyone I may not have mentioned

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt