Beginners and Beyond

Friday Fantasizing about Footwear Penguins (Read 19 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

... okay enough fantasizing about the K5s.  I ordered them because the color I had in my cart went up by $25 overnight.  I ordered the slightly uglier color instead.  $57 for shoes is an "okay" price for me.  Since I got them from amazon there are free returns if they really don't work for me.  I hope hubby doesn't kill me =D  When I brought it up he asked "how many new pairs of unworn running shoes do you have in your closet?"  Oops ;-)

Today is a streak running day.  Later on I have lunch with a friend and then Chinese class.  If I have time I'll squeeze in a massage because my sciatica is starting to be a little pissy, but I really ought to do my homework - so I suppose if I get that done then I can get my massage.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

5 days in a row now! 2.93 miles this morning, wore my heart rate monitor to keep my effort in check.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'd say good morning, but its 59* and raining.  Friday LR and alfresco lunch are in jeopardy.  Might have to run inside on the track again.  Our streak is at 8.

At least I made it to the gym this morning.

No new shoes for me until Christmas.

Good Morning Jill and Lauren.  Happy streaking !!!

Zelanie

Did I miss that we are supposed to be streaking?  I think the longest I've ever gone is 10-12 days, and not really on purpose.

sapf- Hope that you love the Kinvaras!  I got mine from Amazon, guess I'm glad I hit buy when I did!  I have had pretty good luck finding Kinvaras for $50 something as long as I'm willing to wear last year's model.

Lauren- Awesome!

Jerry- How many miles do you get out of your shoes that you can wait until Christmas?

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, my hubby says that to me periodically. Big grin  The answer right now is one! (well 2, if you count the one that doesn't fit right and needs to get sent back to Amazon soon).  Plus 4 in my current rotation (well 5, if you count the one that should be retired except "you never know when you might need it")  But we can all feel good knowing that our collections are about 10% the size of Damaris'.  

Jerry, nice streaking.  Hope the weather isn't too bad later.

Lauren, fantastic!

Zel, hi!

Headed out for a hot muggy 4 this morning.  I'm feeling Eeyore-ish this morning: Why bother running, all that getting up early and spending $ on shoes and I'm slow and something on my body always feels twinge-y and etc. etc. etc.  Well, I guess I'll feel better after the run.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry- How many miles do you get out of your shoes that you can wait until Christmas?

I just started tracking mileage this year.  Should be close to 500. I rotate 2 pair, so thats ~ 600/yr per shoe.  I'll leave the other pair for Father's Day.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Crazy weather after work yesterday in San Antonio. I went for a run/walk in Hardberger Park. It was nice until about the halfway point and then BOOM! Thunder and flashes of lightning. Incentive for speedwork, lol. With a half mile to go, it rained on me lightly. After I got back to my car it then REALLY opened up. Good timing, lol. I ended up with 3 miles. The drive home was NUTS. The park is only about 15 minutes from where I live...but it took me an HOUR to get home because of all the crazy traffic - accidents everywhere and traffic lights out all over the place - since I had to take a VERY round-about way to get home. Anyone else in the San Antonio area have a crazy time between 5 and 6:30 pm? Nutso out there! I was so glad to get home safely!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

6.5 this morning done. Still need another pair of riders to put in rotation.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Rain let up so we got our 12 mile RunWalkRun done.  Warmed up to 61* so it was perfect on the bike path especially with no bikes.

Brilliant

Rain let up so we got our 12 mile RunWalkRun done.  Warmed up to 61* so it was perfect on the bike path especially with no bikes.

Nice!  The weather sounds perfect for a 12 miler.

I ran 4 easy this morning.  Tomorrow, rest.  Sunday, HM.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey everybody!!  Our training is finished, so now I'm sort of letting my brain settle for the rest of the day, plus downloading some honking files for data analysis.  So glad it's Friday -- this has been an awfully long week for a short week!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Jill, put the shoes in rotation so he can't say they're not being used, lol.

My wife scored a last year's model NB for $25, and I got a pair of Mizuno for $65. I think this is the first time ever that I was able to get a pair at an expo. They usually are out of my size. Hydrating and carb loading....