Beginners and Beyond

Running related apps or games (Read 284 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I got an iPhone5 and am still figuring it out. I like my Garmin so I don't need any apps for measuring distance and such, but are there any other apps that you have found useful? This is my first smart phone and I am guessing that many of the apps and games are rubbish. Do you  like any?

clintmorningwood

Ive got an iphone..... most of the apps are pretty good, some are bogus, but the ratings are your friend.

Runners Log is one of the best training logs in app form

I also keep a notebook just to right down any pains i have so i can look back on how certain training affected me from an injury standpoint, for that i use Evernote

clintmorningwood

Some other good ones

Runkeeper (GPS)

Nike+ (Good if you have that sensor)

MapMyRun (GPS)

I also heard that this website has an app

Ultra Cowboy

On my Droid I have TimeRunner for intervals.  I didn't see it was supported  for Iphone.  I'd search for one 'cause intervals audible signals are pretty handy...

HandyRunner is not available for the IPhone that I can tell..The developer is looking for someone to take it over though...

Other than mapping or timing what app do you really need for running?

WYBMADIITY

Save

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

On my Droid I have TimeRunner for intervals.  I didn't see it was supported  for Iphone.  I'd search for one 'cause intervals audible signals are pretty handy...

HandyRunner is not available for the IPhone that I can tell..The developer is looking for someone to take it over though...

Other than mapping or timing what app do you really need for running?

Good point...  I don't know, maybe shoe reviews, upcoming races, etc... Like I said, I like my Garmin and don't want to carry a phone on runs. I guess it was a dumb question.

B-Plus

There's an app calls fit2run, which shows VDOT tables and some other things.

Zelanie

This app is developed by a local guy, I believe.

Lactate Threshold Field Test

tracilynn

Smack talk app. good for some laughs

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Maybe Runners World has one?

Wink

Will run for scenery.

Not really running related, but if you're looking to lose any weight there are some really useful calorie counting apps.  I used MyFitnessPal on Android. Having that app on my ever-present smartphone was the biggest single factor in my weight loss.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Not really running related, but if you're looking to lose any weight there are some really useful calorie counting apps.  I used MyFitnessPal on Android. Having that app on my ever-present smartphone was the biggest single factor in my weight loss.

Thanks, but I don't need to lose weight. DW and I were at a party the other night and someone asked me if I had a tapeworm.

SusanRachel

Things I use all the time (NRR): the Weather Channel, a news app (pick your favorite - they all have an app), Instapaper (allows you to see a web page that interests you and click the "read later" and then check it out on your smart phone when you have some time, the NASA app (check out the upcoming launch schedule and ISS fly-overs), StarWalk (hold your iPhone up over your head so you can see the sky and the screen both (screen facing the earth) - it will tell you all of the constellations you are looking at), ESPN sports center (hollers at you when your favorite team's game is starting, halftime score and final score, IHeartRadio - listen to the radio on your iPhone, Merriam-Webster (dictionary on your iPhone)

I also use the Podcasts feature a lot.  Download your favorite podcasts and listen to them while you run.  The calendar feature is my best friend.  It yells at me when I have a meeting in 15 minutes so I am never late.

muppy

I use an app "run st free", it keeps track of miles on my shoes, thinking it was free because it has ads on it, but it's free! When I'm bored I go to App Store and check out all the top free apps, and if I don't like them just delete them.

Jess runs for bacon

I like endomondo. You can upload your garmin info into it and join challenges. Tis fun.

I like endomondo. You can upload your garmin info into it and join challenges. Tis fun.

Endomondo holds your data hostage, doesn't it?  Meaning that once it's logged, it doesn't have an export function.

+ 1 to what Susan Rachel said

A few other NRR apps....

Weatherbug - especially good for local weather conditions while traveling

Redbox - can reserve movies and pick up later on in the day

Barcode Scanner - several out there..the one that I have scans a product then price compares w/ other stores.