Beginners and Beyond

ThursDaily Penguins (Read 31 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Morning Penguins!  I decided that I'd take the lead today.  I'm pretty excited.  After this evening's run, I will hit 200 miles for the month.  That's a milestone that I've never hit before, and I'm feeling good.  No dog issues this morning, and my weight is looking really good.  I'm starting to consistently come in under 220 pounds.  I'm right on schedule to be at or below 200 by the time my first marathon roles around.  I know that will help my paces, and help reduce the impact on my body.  Yes, I love having a plan.

Baconista - I saw yesterday that you're signed up for another 5K.  Go out there and have a blast.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

Wow, Awood -- 200 miles in a month is a big milestone.  congrats!  And good job with the weight loss also.

I got out and did 4.5 miles before work today.  It put me over 100 miles for the month, that makes 7 months in a row with at least 100 miles.  But I don't think I'll get to 200 miles per month any time soon.

Have a good day everyone.

Bin Running

Awood, 200 miles.. wow! I have yet to conquer this monster yet..

Margo, Good job on the 5M (round up pls).. 100M is a good number too...

Haze was not too good this morning and I chicken out.. Spend some time playing with DS before he goes to in-law.. Working late tonight and the haze level is a tad worse than morning.. Still in the moderate level though.. DW and DS are not in today.. And I have nothing to do after work later.. Maybe will put in 5M at 10-11pm depending what time is off-work..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  5 and weights later.  Asthma still feels bad but I know my chest can handle it.

Awood, nice job on the miles.

Phillie, great news about the miles.

Bin, haze is never good.  Better safe.

All this talk about miles makes me wonder if you guys are not running for the rest of the month since we have like 4 days left, ha!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I got in 6 miles in some nasty soup like humidity.

Awood. 200 miles is awesome. 220lbs and below is super sweet.

Phillie- 100 mile months are solid. Keep up te good work.

Bin - hope you get some miles in later. Have fun with your son.

D- get your swole on girl. And those 5 miles.

Make today great

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

I went a read some of the late stuff from yesterday. The promotion is cool and I get a bunch of other cool titles.

Jr high principal

District transportation director

District food service director

Alternative school director

Baconista- chafing sucks. Vaseline is my friend.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

SheCan

Morning Penguins!

Awood-- wow!  Great job on this months miles!

Margo-- good job to you too.  There's a lot to be said about consistency.

Bin-- How frustrating all this pollution must be.  Glad you're going to try to run tonight, but I hope it doesn't make you ill.

Docket- good luck with your run tonight.

tomas-- congrats on the promotion to principal!  I'm a little scared of you now though.  Wink  Good job on getting the miles in despite the humidity!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Tomas, congrats on the promotion.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!

Today I've got work and then work, but I'm hoping to make the social run tonight.  It will only be my second time back.  It will also be my 7th day in a row running, but Monday was only 1 mile so it hardly counts.  RD tomorrow, I promise!

Awood- Congrats on reaching 200 miles!  I am itching to get back there.

Margo- I love your consistency!  Congrats on 7 straight months over 100!

Bin- Hope you are able to get some miles in later.

D- I'm with you.  I need every day this month to get my miles in.

Tomas- Nice run!

Cherie- Morning!  Hope vacation is still going well!  Do you have a race this weekend?

From the Internet.

Morning! 3.01 sluggish miles in ~32 minutes - 2 minutes walk/8 jog x2, 1 walk/9 jog and strides. I worked the legs yesterday and am feeling it.. I tried to casually jog across the street when I left the gym yesterday and almost collapsed in a heap in front of a bunch of cars so I kinda figured I'd be hurting today. Hope you all have a lovely Thursday! Big grin

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Awood: Holy cow!!  Man, that is a ton of miles!!! Good job!!

PF: I'm more your speed. Smile

Bin: Enjoy the quiet time. Sorry about the haze.

Docket: Have fun on the five.

T-rod: Jeesh, I don't know how you guys do it in that humidity!

She Can: I bet it's a bit cooler in CO than AZ. Have fun on your COOL runs and enjoy the beer!

Zel: Just be careful on that knee. By the way, why did you become a teacher if you want to work all summer? Wink

Lauren:  There is nothing wrong with "sluggish" miles. Heck, you're out there doing it, that's what counts.

As for me, I ran seven easy miles early this morning. It is going to be hot here, like 105 hot by Saturday. Any miles I do will have to be done early. We have no humidity, which is nice, but when fires start burning at some point, it won't be good. I was up in our local hills the other day and it is DRY up there.  I can't wait to go to MT. Oh man, that is going to be nice!

Enjoy.

SheCan

Today I've got work and then work, but I'm hoping to make the social run tonight.  It will only be my second time back.  It will also be my 7th day in a row running, but Monday was only 1 mile so it hardly counts.  RD tomorrow, I promise!

Cherie- Morning!  Hope vacation is still going well!  Do you have a race this weekend?

Woooohoooo@ 7 days in a row running!   I'm glad you're doing so well, Zelanie!   Just don't over do it.

Yup, gotta 9 mile race in Victor/Cripple Creek, AZ on Saturday.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Thursday, Penguin!  Today, June 27, is National Sunglasses Day!

Which is appropriate for Texas, our heat index is going up to 105 degrees today!  One reason I got up and ran this morning.   Haven't run since Sunday, dealing with all this stomach crap.  Felt quite good this morning, however, and managed to get in 3.2 miles.  Felt like I could have gone farther, but did not want to push it after 3 days of resting and eating broth, crackers, applesauce, jello, etc., while my stomach got back to normal.   I started at 6:15 a.m. and the temperature was already in the 70s, with humidity a whopping 82% and the dewpoint already over 70.  Miami weather!  Please keep it down there, Damaris!  Joking  I sat on the bench outside the gym cooling off, and I had a nice little 'sweat--pond' building under the bench by the time I went in to take my shower.   The run also made me feel a bit better about that nodule found on my left lung...apparently it is not affecting my wind, breathing, etc.

It is going to be a nice quiet day at work today.  Just about everyone - including all the supervisors and big bosses - is at a retreat today, all day, downtown.  I was one of the few lucky ones that was not obligated to go.

Congrats on the 200 miles for the month, Awood!

100 mile streaker, Margo!  Congrats!

Dang, Bin, sorry your getting hazed every day!  Maybe Singapore should send some of those firefighting  water-carrying planes over Indonesia and start putting out some fires.  Wink   Would that be like declaring war on them?

Nasty soup-like humidity is right, Tomas, I think we got it all over Texas today!  Congrats on getting your run in today through that stuff.   Congrats on your promotion!  Since you work for the State - like I do - I guess that gives you a nice raise of about what...another $50 or so?  Wink  Gotta love working for the state.   We must love our jobs cuz we sure don't do it for the money.   Joking

Sorry your asthma is still bad, Damaris.  Run safe.

So what is on the Colorado plans for today, She Can?

Have fun at your Social Run, Zelanie!

Sorry about the sore legs, Lauren.  Sound like an ice-bath is in order. Big grin   Wow, 3.01 miles in 32 minutes would be quite speedy for me!

Congrats on your miles, Jack!  What, NO humidity? Wouldn't that make it AWFULLY dry where you are then, since the air would be devoid of all water vapor?  Joking  BTW,  a little 'factoid" I saw once on the Weather Channel:  The world's lowest recorded relative humidity value occurred at Coober Pedy in the South Australia desert when the temperature was 93 degrees and the dew point was minus 21 degrees producing a relative humidity of 1 percent.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ok, Scotty, "no" humidity is a relative term. Compared to what you and T-rod have in TX and what Docket has in FL, we have "no" humidity. I checked it and it's about 50%. I will take 50% over 90% any day.