Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 14 - University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) Diploma Dash 5K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them. And for a few, when I asked someone to take a photo for me, I forgot to tell him/her how to focus the camera, duhhh..   All in all though, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.  J

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2014%20Diploma%20Dash%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 14th race of 2018 was Diploma Dash 5K held on March 24th.  This event is annually held at the university where I work to help raise funds for student scholarship. This is a very popular local event that continues to grow.  This year there were over 1300 registered finishers.  This race also includes a “Runners With Dogs” category $10 entry fee for dogs, who got then their own race number bibs - so those runners and doggies got separate awards from the ‘regular pack” of runners and walkers. There are also a lot of sponsors and vendors at this event, a DJ playing music, and the university mascot Rowdy Roadrunner was also there giving everyone lots of photo opportunities with him.  Start time of 8 a.m. I arrived with about an hour to go to start time and got a few photos.

With UTSA mascot Rowdy Roadrunner....he 'billed' me for this photo....

Various participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.

Love the little guy's look, lol, so serious...he is ready to get it done!

Since this was a dog friendly event these folks from a pet center were available too, and doggies got pre-and-post race treats

Some members of the UTSA Band out there for us.  Thanks!

Our race timers and results people getting ready...

Getting ready to start - people ahead of me and behind me

ON THE COURSE

Start and finish was in front of the UTSA Convocation Center, which is where our university basketball, volleyball, and other teams play, and also a venue for various events.  Weather was threatening rain.  It did not rain on us during the race, but very cloudy skies, temp of around 68 degrees, very humid and lots of wet spots along the course as it had rained pretty good the night before.  This was a loop course on which my friend Anne – Director of our Alumni Association –  or whomever laid out this course, put every darn hill on the campus on the course, lol – 4 total.  We also went through the tunnel on the campus that goes underneath a couple of our campus buildings. No big deal for me since I run on the campus quite frequently before and after work, so I do this route several times.  For those not used to hills, well, bet they had some fun.  😉   I finished in 34 minutes and change; did not come close to placing and my age group and did not expect to with this many participants.  Thoroughly enjoyed myself though.

Up the first hill

Made the turn-round, now going back down the hill.  Our second hill was going up toward those buildings at the back of this photo

Near the UTSA Campus Police station

Looking behind me.  That taller building - North Paseo Building - is the building where I work

Thank you  course volunteer!

Up the 3rd hill on the course

After that, nonstop running to the finish for the last 1.2 miles.  We had a 4th hill just past the UTSA baseball field. Climbed that, down the other side, and then it was flat back to the finish at the Convocation Center.

AFTER MY FINISH

After doing a short cool-down walk and getting some water into me it was time to walk around and enjoy the after-party and get some photos.  After I finished, it did begin to drizzle a bit on us but that did not last very long. Glad though that I had set a dry shirt aside, so got back into that and then walked around chatting with friends and getting after-photos.

Right after my finish...wait a minute...didn't I start like this too?  lol.

My speedy friend Bill, with Duke the Dog, also speedy - finished 2nd, in the 20 minutes range in the Runners With Dog category.

Friend Anne, Alumni Association Director.  Thanks for all those hills, Anne!  Wink

These Cherry Tomatoes ladies were a popular stop.  They ran out of their product in no time.

Randolph Brooks Credit Union was one of the sponsors that had a team there

My friend, Bernadette, as usual, placed in her age group...and did a little post-race 'shopping' for those goodies.

Two ladies modeling the race shirt for me..."Vamanos Runners!"

Drizzling at this point, a few drops of rain got onto my lens, sorry about that

I think they are sisters..... 

UTSA Alum April Ancira helped with the MC duties.  Her family owns several local car dealerships.  The Ancira family has always been very community-oriented,  helping a lot of causes.

Two of my speedy friends who both placed in their age groups

EPILOGUE

Well organized by UTSA Alumni Association and all the volunteers, etc., who got this all put together.  Runner, walker and dog-friendly.  Hilly but very nice course, well laid out, with plenty of room for all participants and a different finish than past courses. I like this course much better than previous courses and hope they keep this one in the future. Tons of post-race goodies that included sausage wraps, beer, water, various other drinks, cherry tomatoes, and so much other stuff I can’t remember it all. Lots of free give-aways which, of course, our university students loved – one thing about college students, they  are usually always on the go with classes, sometimes crazy class and study hour schedules, and so forth, and they are always usually hungry, lol – so all this free food give-away was probably surely appreciated by them.  This event just puts on one really darn fine after-party, pretty close to what local race company Scallywompus does, a company known for their after-race parties.  Have done this one several times in the past and will continue to this one lots more in the future.

Mucho thanks to all the people that made this one happen for us, including UTSA Alumni Association staff, all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors, law enforcement out there for us, etc.  Without all of you, no race for us, so thank you very much!

And after I got home, I spent some time following the example of my cats, Peanut (left) and P2.   Cats really know how to totally relax. We humans should probably take a lesson, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt