Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins are gettin' it done (Read 30 times)

From the Internet.

Hi pens! Weights during my lunch break today - Bulgarian split squats, dumbbell press, deadlifts and then I had to get back to the lab. I may or may not have spent my rest period between sets admiring my shoulders Blush

Running 2 experiments at the same time today so the morning was a little crazy. Hard part's over though, most of the afternoon will be non-active work.

I'm still at a point in my recovery where every little ache and pain has me nervous D: I managed to bang my shin getting out of my car on Saturday and it's still a little bruised, and today my legs are a bit stiff from yesterday's run combined with heel walks... every time I reach down to massage my tibialis I hit the bruise, freak out for a second, and roll up my pants to make sure it's still just a bruise. I can't wait until shin splints are just a distant memory and not a legitimate fear!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Damaris, did you win again in court?  Wait, what am I saying..you always win!   How are the shin splints of the hubby doing?

Congrats on your 8, Bin.  I keep forgetting about the time difference over there, probably already past dinner time for you.

Good luck with the hip exercises, Jerry!  Hope they help.

Yay for the Mets winning, Kristin, since they played the Giants and not my Cubbies.  Big grin  Altho it probably wouldn't matter anyway..my Cubbies are just about in the basement in their division.

Safe trip back home, Tomas.  You ran on the beach in NC today?  Isn't it raining up there?   I saw on the Weather Channel, NC looked like it was getting ready to be whomped with rain.

HsM, looks like you may be getting all that NC rain that Tomas is going to leave behind for you.   And no worries, about me, I always behave myself. 

Ohh, okay.  I thought maybe you were doing a weight-lifting routine, Margo.  Dewpoint of 58, I would not have any sympathy for him either!

Good luck with your miles tonite, Traci, hope your dewpoint behaves!

Good luck with the trails, Zelanie.  Hill?  No problem, the dogs are with you, they will pull you right up it! Wink  Just be careful they don't pull you off the trail if they suddenly see an animal they want to go chase.

New Orleans for the day on a weekday, Coralie?  Must be nice to live that life of leisure and be able to go to New Orleans midweek.  Wink  Yeah, England is definitely not accustomed to those temps, all right, lol.  My first year there, we wore COATS while we watched the fireworks on the 4th of July, lol.  The next 3 years after that, thank goodness were "Goldilocks Summers"...they were just right, not too hot, not too cold.     Well, unlike Damaris, at least we DO get a break from our weather.  Temps drop into the 60s and 70s by November, and then we even get some 40s and 50s in December and January and February.  Then March gets here and we slowly start going up again.   But at least we get a break.

Dang, Cheri, I can't believe you are getting 'cool' miles in Arizona!  What's up with that?   Nice weather, enjoy it while it lasts!   Nope, still don't like sugar cookies, but enjoy most other kinds. My favorites though are still oatmeal raisin.   6 probably would be better, but it's too late for me, lol.  I like to be home around 6:30, showered and ready to sit my butt down and be lazy the rest of the evening.  When I run after work, I bring my gear to work, then change after work, and then drive to where I am going to run, and then go home after that.  If I waited to do that until 6,  I would not be home until around 7:30 or so.   Not like I have any big plans anyway, but even so, I like being home by a certain time on the weeknights.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hi pens! Weights during my lunch break today - Bulgarian split squats, dumbbell press, deadlifts and then I had to get back to the lab. I may or may not have spent my rest period between sets admiring my shoulders Blush

Running 2 experiments at the same time today so the morning was a little crazy. Hard part's over though, most of the afternoon will be non-active work.

I'm still at a point in my recovery where every little ache and pain has me nervous D: I managed to bang my shin getting out of my car on Saturday and it's still a little bruised, and today my legs are a bit stiff from yesterday's run combined with heel walks... every time I reach down to massage my tibialis I hit the bruise, freak out for a second, and roll up my pants to make sure it's still just a bruise. I can't wait until shin splints are just a distant memory and not a legitimate fear!

Believe me, you are normal.  Everyone coming back from an injury goes through that.   And even if you've gone through it before, it still does not help.  I've had 4 knee surgeries and every darn time I rehabbed from each one, I was still freakin' out for quite a while over every little ache-and-pain I felt during the rehabs.   My hernia surgery recovery was even WORSE.  Every side-ache or groin ache I got, I thought for sure I'd just given myself a hernia recurrence!   So you are normal, believe me.  Not everyone can be like Phil aka Baboon, who is Super Rehab Guy. Joking

No worries, it's all really more mental than physical and one day you will eventually get to the point where you will do a run, a workout, or something, and you will feel great and it will hit you that you are not made of glass, and you are fully functional again, and what a great feeling that is!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Just be careful they don't pull you off the trail if they suddenly see an animal they want to go chase.

One of the many reasons they will not be on a leash. Smile  If Mia is running on-leash, she's usually behind me and I'm pretty much pulling her.  Off-leash, she's zooming around having a great time.  Zoe is the responsible one, so she is good on or off leash.  But she is pretty sure that she will catch a squirrel one day.

Lauren- I hear you!  Soon those shin splints will be a distant memory, I'm sure!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Did the weight machines at the HC (arms only) and then did my hipercises, but I rationalized doing them for 20sec to start.  Used my frozen water bottle to ice the leg.  Front Desk attendant says "wow, you were here along time".  I need a beer.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Jerry: I like the way you think. I think I am about ready for one as well.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry: I like the way you think. I think I am about ready for one as well.

Jack, you probably would be upset that I'm having a Bud 55.  It makes everything else taste better.

Just got my NB 870's from RW liquidation, but too small.  Didn't even walk around the house with them.  Just sealed up the box and dropped at UPS.  Maybe I should join the Kinvara Klub?

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm all for a beer.  Jerry, I'll be passing through Chicago on my way home from Iowa on Friday if you want to grab a beer.

Second run of the day was not a lot better, than the first.  81 degrees, 86% humidity, dew point 76, no clouds, but you know what!?  I still felt great.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

tracilynn

4 miles done 78 DP Dead

jinxed myself by saying this morn that we havent been above a 77 DP this year yet.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

Lauren, I recovered from shin splints last year Apr..even now if I have a slight discomfort at that area.. I am worried.. Continue to do those calf strengthening exercise (which I tend to skip).. You will be fine.. Just listen to your body more.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My 7:00-8:00pm client cancelled tonight so I hauled it home and got a run in before it got super dark. I decided to do my longest of the weekday runs on my schedule since I didn't have a time constraint. Ended up with 5.6 miles. It was windy by the water and the breeze felt amazing and then it started raining. Never thought I would be so happy to run in the rain....beat the heat and humidity for sure!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

We drove home from our latest wandering today, only to discover that we could have stayed away a couple more days, as our next door neighbor mowed the lawn for us while we were gone. Sweet.

Ran 5 miles yesterday, then hiked 5 this afternoon, looking for the camera we lost when we were doing trail work two weeks ago. (Didn't find it in the ferns.)   After all the time we've spent in the car this week, both felt really wonderful.  It hasn't been hot (low 70's both days) but it was very humid, with DPs in the low 70's.   We got rained on today, and there was fog on the roads and the streams because it was so damp.

Scotty - I'm with you:  oatmeal raisin are the best, though I'll eat just about any cookie.  Least favorite for me are peanut butter, but my husband won't touch anything with nuts, so I eat those rarely.

Hope all the travelers have safe and happy trips.  Our pickup has 252,000 miles, so every time we make it home without incident, I'm happy.  I always wonder whether we'll end up stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead truck.  One reason I'm glad I'm a runner: if I have to go for help, it won't take as long to get out.  That was actually what inspired me to start hiking, many years ago.  I broke down someplace at night, and ended up accepting a ride from a passing car to a phone, because I didn't think I could walk that far (3 or 4 miles).  It made me aware of how vulnerable I was by being so out of shape.  The ride turned out okay, but I really wasn't happy about feeling like I had to accept the offer, so I started walking.  Nowadays I know there are few places I can't walk to, if I want or need to.  It's freedom.

Zelanie

Great post, Ginny!  Glad the pickup made it back and hope that you find the camera.

Back from my trail run.  It turns out my friend did want to run up the steep part- something like 1280 feet of elevation gain in the first 2 miles. Shocked  I am not conditioned for hills, that's for sure!  My pace was super penguiny, and I did walk one section, but ran the rest.  Mia plopped herself down on the trail just after we got to the top, so we stopped for her and gave her some water and a chance to cool off before we kept going.  She was her usual perky self after she got to jump in the creek further down.

Oh, and no complaints from the knee, the whole way!