Beginners and Beyond

Woman sues because frozen pizza has trans fats....which is on the nutrition label (Read 173 times)

MrNamtor

sorry guys, i'm a sarcastic sob. I still love you all.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

that's today's generation. When i was a kid, i would have demanded trans fat in my pizza. But then again at your son's age i was already smoking and drinking.

Seriously though, that illustrates that "silly" law suits like this really do help inform people. Your son is smarter than me. I was actually, until reading about this suit, unaware that trans fats were still allowed in frozen foods. I thought they had been basically eliminated from the food supply.

Dude...if it doesn't have trans fats, it says so on the label.  Even if it's obvious, they throw that badge of honor on there.  It's like carrots say, "no trans fats".  I check 2 things on every label.  I check sugar, and what types of fat.  I don't necessarily avoid fat.  I avoid saturated fat, and trans fat, but the occasional trans fat won't kill you.  If that were the case, I'd go all YOLO on the world.  I was raised on food made with Crisco.  These lawsuits are out of control.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

MrNamtor

Dude...if it doesn't have trans fats, it says so on the label.  Even if it's obvious, they throw that badge of honor on there.  It's like carrots say, "no trans fats".  I check 2 things on every label.  I check sugar, and what types of fat.  I don't necessarily avoid fat.  I avoid saturated fat, and trans fat, but the occasional trans fat won't kill you.  If that were the case, I'd go all YOLO on the world.  I was raised on food made with Crisco.  These lawsuits are out of control.

Can I ask you something though? Why do you have a problem with a lawsuit that may have the result of removing a toxic substance from commonly sold food items? Whose interest is being served by having those substances in the food?

SusanRachel

I object because of the structure of the suit.  It was on the label.  She didn't read it and is blaming the company.  If someone passed a law requiring the removal of trans fats, I wouldn't object, but I strenuously object to her getting rich for being dumb enough not to read the labels on her food.  Doing the right thing the wrong way is the wrong thing.  Gotta do the right thing the right way for it to be the right thing.

Can I ask you something though? Why do you have a problem with a lawsuit that may have the result of removing a toxic substance from commonly sold food items? Whose interest is being served by having those substances in the food?

MrNamtor

I object because of the structure of the suit.  It was on the label.  She didn't read it and is blaming the company.  If someone passed a law requiring the removal of trans fats, I wouldn't object, but I strenuously object to her getting rich for being dumb enough not to read the labels on her food.  Doing the right thing the wrong way is the wrong thing.  Gotta do the right thing the right way for it to be the right thing.

She is not some dumb woman who didn't read the label on her frozen pizza. She's an activist attempting to correct something she feels is wrong. Also it's a class action lawsuit, she is not trying to get rich, that payout will be distributed to a large group of people.

I see your point though about if it were against the law to have trans fats you'd be ok with that.  But I think the court systems, our tort system and the things it can influence are just as democratic (or not democratic) as the actions of our legislature or regulating agencies. Like it would be just as legitimate for a dangerous product to be litigated out of the market as it is to have a law passed against it or banned by an agency.

robinde

My opinion is that we should vote with our dollars and not legislate through the legal system.  If people stopped buying poisonous products, they'd stop making them.  I think it's pretty common knowledge that fast food is bad for you.  Even among the low information population.  Yet, those places are making millions and billions of dollars.

On a side note, I haven't had "real" pizza in over a year.  I make it myself with a cauliflower crust.  It's so good and so much healthier.

catwhoorg

Labrat

She is not some dumb woman who didn't read the label on her frozen pizza. She's an activist attempting to correct something she feels is wrong. Also it's a class action lawsuit, she is not trying to get rich, that payout will be distributed mainly to LAYWERS.

I see your point though about if it were against the law to have trans fats you'd be ok with that.  But I think the court systems, our tort system and the things it can influence are just as democratic (or not democratic) as the actions of our legislature or regulating agencies. Like it would be just as legitimate for a dangerous product to be litigated out of the market as it is to have a law passed against it or banned by an agency.

Fixed the bold ....

I doubt class members will see 50% of the pot between them.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Trans fats are just the new MSG.  People will be bullied into changing recipes, and people will panic about foods that don't.  A couple of decades from now they'll find that it's not as bad as they thought.  Coffee used to be terrible for you, now it's good for you.  Bran was a wonder food, and now it's thought of as pretty inconsequential.  Pasta used to be considered a health food, but now that darn refined white flour's gonna kill ya.  How about the new study that shows that egg yokes are good for you?

It's all about everything in moderation, and all of these scary new studies and lawsuits force people into drastic swings that destroy our ideas of moderation.  Atkins diets, gluten free vegan diets, overpriced organic diets, etc.

This lawsuit is ridiculous for multiple reasons.

A) People need to take responsibility for what they put into their bodies.

B) You're asking a judge and jury to make decisions based on scientific studies that will probably be walked back over the coming years.

C) A SINGLE PERSON is going to change the consumption of an entire population of free people.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

happylily

I hold activists in high regard and I think that we need them to bring about any positive changes. I adimre what they do for all of us. However, because I live in a more social type of society, here in Canada, I think that since the government is responsible for passing those laws, we should turn our anger and demands for better protection (of any kinds; cigarettes, meds, etc...) to those elected. The problem at its core is that the government does not act to ban those very unhealthy foods. We pay a lot of taxes here and we expect a lot in return. I think that for us, in general, we get what we want if we speak loud enough. Especially come election time. We would never consider sueing a company directly if the label was indicating the ingredients correctly and said ingredients were legal in the country. After all, isn't food regulated in the US? Then, they simply followed the regulations... It's up to the government to ban trans fats from all products, not just a few. Just my opinion... But maybe I think like this because I really dislike lawyers (except our own D., of course).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I hold activists in high regard and I think that we need them to bring about any positive changes. I adimre what they do for all of us. However, because I live in a more social type of society, here in Canada, I think that since the government is responsible for passing those laws, we should turn our anger and demands for better protection (of any kinds; cigarettes, meds, etc...) to those elected. The problem at its core is that the government does not act to ban those very unhealthy foods. We pay a lot of taxes here and we expect a lot in return. I think that for us, in general, we get what we want if we speak loud enough. Especially come election time. We would never consider sueing a company directly if the label was indicating the ingredients correctly and said ingredients were legal in the country. After all, isn't food regulated in the US? Then, they simply followed the regulations... It's up to the government to ban trans fats from all products, not just a few. Just my opinion... But maybe I think like this because I really dislike lawyers (except our own D., of course).

Shocked  Sooo....because they take money out of my check against my will, they should also be able to take the delicious pie out of my mouth!?!?

I don't need the government to be my mother, and my father.  I don't want them to tell me what I can and can't eat.  Just because a handful of people want it to be so, you're okay with over 300 million people having their liberties infringed upon?

You're basing your view on trans fats on 2 studies that I've heard of.  Find me someone in their 90's, or that's over 100, and they've probably eaten their share of trans fats.  Heck, they probably switched from frying in lard at some point to using Crisco.

Bottom line, I pay taxes just like everybody else.  I pay for my own healthcare costs.  I've never had high cholesterol or high blood pressure.  Just because you have your money stolen by the government, doesn't give you the right to tell me that I can't have the frozen pizza that I chose to purchase.  It's all fine and dandy until your fellow countrymen decide that any run over 10 miles is bad, and they ban your favorite running event.

If it doesn't break my leg, or pick my pocket, then I don't care what you do with your life, and there's no need for legislation to stop you from doing it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

One last point.  I believe hydrogenated oils were developed as a healthy alternative to things like butter.  If we had legislated based on that belief, we'd all have been raised completely on trans fats and butter would be completely outlawed.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

happylily

That's a very American point of view. One that we hear all the time here and it makes us scratch our heads... We are so different on some aspects... But if it works for you and you're happy, then it's all good. Your ways, our ways. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

The Mc

That's okay, I really dislike Canadians...except for DJ Jan.  I mean, you all gave us Rush for Christ's sake! 

Papa don't take no mess.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I admittedly love the H outta this stuff......

http://www.digiorno.com/Products.aspx/Supreme/7a0fa510-7615-40d1-92c5-b181f159b4f9

Fortunately, I see zero trans fat, however, I don't think I ever thought to look for it on pizza as I usually think of it on snack-type foods.  Nevertheless I can't deny I love the Supreme.

That said.......2 things come to mind......

#1.). Remember that even when it says ZERO TRANS FAT, that doesn't mean it isn't in there.  A little trickery in the label allows them to put in up to a half gram per serving and still call it "ZERO".

#2.). Almost every brand of off the shelf peanut butter has FULLY HYDROGENATED OILS!!!!!!!!  Care to guess as to whether they're bad for you or not the next time you grab that spoon and start shoveling the creamy slice of heaven into your pie hole????

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm

Randy

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That's a very American point of view. One that we hear all the time here and it makes us scratch our heads... We are so different on some aspects... But if it works for you and you're happy, then it's all good. Your ways, our ways. Smile

I understand that, and I like the fact that we're different.  I feel like Americans that want a government that provides that parental role of laying down rules, and providing things would move to a country like Canada that already has that.  Once you change America, there's no place for people who enjoy independence, liberty and freedom to go.  To me, freedom means that you have to the right to make good AND bad choices.  Maybe what I see as a bad choice will work out well for you.  I don't claim to know what's best for anybody else.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost