Beginners and Beyond

Wildlife Wedn ... erm ... Fauna Fri ... no ... Hey, it's Thursday Penguins! (Read 4 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

So this morning I got up and did yesterday's chickened-out-on bike ride.  I scoured the internet yesterday for advice, because of course the internet is the source of the collective wisdom of the world, right?  Anyway, the best thing I found was "Just keep trying,  you'll get it soon."  Pointing out that bike riding is not something you can figure out, it's pretty much all muscle memory, and your muscle memory gets a little better every time you do it.  So, I did it.

Saw a mama deer and her fawn running across the road, and didn't fall off.

Saw a car pulling out of their driveway (hey, humans count as fauna, right?), and I stopped well short of his turn and stayed out of his way.  Still didn't fall off.

Then after my ride was done and I was walking back to meet DH and Dusty, DH said there was some animal stuck in a culvert pipe just down the road.  I told him it was probably one of the feral cats and not stuck, but he said it was barking back at him.  I propped up my bike (no kickstand) and walked back with them, then held Dusty so DH could get down and shine his phone flashlight in the pipe.  I heard the bark too, and DH said he saw pointy ears (so not a frog or a possum), but he couldn't make out what it was.  I told him it was probably a fox, and still not stuck, but there have been posters up lately about a missing small dog ... so ...

We walked Dusty home, then grabbed a handful of kibble and walked back.  I stood near one end of the pipe while DH went to the other end (it runs under this guy's driveway) and made encouraging noises.  At which point a lovely fox popped out of my end of the culvert and ran off into the trees.  So now we know what a fox sounds like when he wants you to go away and leave him alone!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  The tech just fixed my TM, yay.  I have Pilates, Orange THeory and 5-7 miles total.

HopesMom, awwww. Good story though.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Glad to "see" you, Docket!  I was going to be bummed that the ONE day I had a good story, nobody was around to read it!

Also glad to hear you got the TM fixed!!

GinnyinPA

HM - great story about the fox. I've heard baby foxes barking nearby when camping. Very different from coyotes. Good job on your morning bike ride too.  How far did you get?

D - hurray for getting the TM repaired.  I bet you were ready to hug the repairman when he got it going again.

I went into town with Jim and ran back to the house while he sat at the auto shop getting the truck inspected. For some reason, both of our usually trusty vehicles are being a pita lately.  I ended up with 9 sweaty miles. I was doing okay until the sun came out, then it got a lot hotter. I really didn't want to continue, but Jim was still sitting at the mechanic's so I had no choice but to keep going. I did the last 3 miles at a walk/run. I think when you get used to running in AC comfort, heat feels much worse, even when it isn't all that hot.

Docket_Rocket

yeap, and he is so nice.  He does this on his own (instead of me calling this company), so I have his number for next time!

I hit myself on a piece of apparatus at Pilates.  my feet slip and I was feet up and the apparatus (wood one) hit the back of my bad knee.  It's sore but nothing bad (I did Orange Theory and pushed it all the way and ran on my TM and it's OK).  Just feels sore.  This wouldn't be too worrisome if I had not JUST had surgery AND have a marathon this weekend. Grrr.

I was reading, HopesMom, but I was busy and had to come back later to comment!

Ginny, nice sweaty miles.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page