Beginners and Beyond

Sleepy Tuesday Penguins (Read 23 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Where is everyone? =D

I got a very slow, short run in this morning.  I'm so bloated from all of my salty memorial day food that my joints and body just felt strange.  I may do a few more miles tonight after the sun goes down but I just need to hydrate and get rid of this water retention before I do so.  Errands this morning, then maybe some laps in the pool before work this evening.

Kathleen - I saw that you went on IR in the 2015 game.  Feel better soon and take care of yourself!

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning, 5 done this morning in a light mist. More with the group tonight.

Zelanie

Hello to my fine feathered friends!

My leg feels pretty good this morning.  If it continues to behave, I'll try a few miles after work.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a completely lazy weekend, even missing a couple of days of PT exercises.  Makes me worry about retirement (in 25 years or so), will I just become a complete slug, or will I eventually suck it up and actually do stuff?  Although I guess worrying about something that will happen decades down the road is kind of borrowing trouble ... anyway, I have a PT appointment tomorrow, will hopefully go for a walk today.  It's hotter this week than last week.

sapf -- drink, drink, drink!!!  No, I meant water!!  Smile

PAD -- your 5 in the mist sound nice, have fun tonight!!

Zelanie -- glad your leg is feeling better!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have either 4 or 6 with 2 at MP.  Undecided.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

5 miles early this morning, very pleasant. Kinda hilly in the middle, threw in some pickups toward the end. Feeling very much recovered this week, though I'll still hold off until Thursday or Friday before attempting any sort of workout.

Met with my coach this morning to discuss marathon training, I start July 6! He prefers to do a 20-week  plan for the marathon, so I will be slowly ramping up mileage for 12 weeks, peaking with 5 weeks of steady mileage with 3 ~20-22 milers alternating with 2 shorter long runs of ~16 or so, and then taper.

So much work to do, I was hoping to get to the gym today but I think I'll have to settle for some kind of modified workout when I get home tonight. I do believe I will need to get a coffee if I'm going to get everything done.

GinnyinPA

SRD for me today.  We have medical appointments that will take up most of the afternoon, then our anniversary dinner (19 years) this evening.

Z - I'm glad the leg feels good.  I still don't feel fully recovered from my marathon, and it was a month ago!  Not so much pain, as just heavy legs that don't want to move.

HopesMom - Good luck with PT tomorrow.  I hope you get your exercises done today.

sapf - good job getting the run this morning, even if you did feel bloated.  I hope you get to enjoy an evening run or swim.

PAD - misty sounds nice today.  Are you getting the torrential downpours we're hearing about on the news?

D - enjoy your short run this evening.

Lauren - 20 weeks is a long time focused on one race.  OTOH, it gives you time to base build first.  Have fun.  Which marathon are you targeting?

From the Internet.

Lauren - 20 weeks is a long time focused on one race.  OTOH, it gives you time to base build first.  Have fun.  Which marathon are you targeting?

I think that's why he likes to structure it that way - he said feel free to jump into races just for fun, come to the club track workouts (but not run super hard - 10K effort is fine, 5K and faster work isn't necessary), etc. during those 12 weeks. Philadelphia, November 22!

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom - Good luck with PT tomorrow.  I hope you get your exercises done today.

Oh, they're already done for today.  When I'm working they just slot themselves into my morning routine, after my shower and before breakfast.  It's those sneaky weekend and vacation days that mess me up!!

And in other news, I had at least been thinking about getting a new portable hard drive.  Mine is probably 10 years old, 60 GB.  But my new instrument makes files that are 7-10 GB each, and my old hard drive (FAT) won't copy the files.  So currently I don't have any way of getting them from the instrument computer to the analysis computer.  But $70 buys me a new 1TB portable hard drive with NTFS formatting, so it'll be all good.  And I bought it with personal money instead of work money, so I can put personal stuff on it as well. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Just when I decided I was recovered from Sunday, I am rained out, so I'll go to the gym after all.

Happy Anniversary, Ginny !!! Enjoy the appointments and dinner.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, they're already done for today.  When I'm working they just slot themselves into my morning routine, after my shower and before breakfast.  It's those sneaky weekend and vacation days that mess me up!!

And in other news, I had at least been thinking about getting a new portable hard drive.  Mine is probably 10 years old, 60 GB.  But my new instrument makes files that are 7-10 GB each, and my old hard drive (FAT) won't copy the files.  So currently I don't have any way of getting them from the instrument computer to the analysis computer.  But $70 buys me a new 1TB portable hard drive with NTFS formatting, so it'll be all good.  And I bought it with personal money instead of work money, so I can put personal stuff on it as well. 

I was going to ask whether you know they have ones with TB!!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, I have 2 TB backup drives on all my instrument computers.  But since this one will be mostly for file transfer and my own stuff, I didn't figure I needed to spend the extra money.  Although file storage has certainly come down in price in the past few years!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The rain around here seems to have stopped and the sun is actually trying to come out again, yay!  Around here, some clear days are needed so all the cleaning up can begin..especially for those poor folks who live in San Marcos and beyond, going towards Austin and out from Austin to the east and west, those folks really got hit hard.

Plan today after work on a very easy run somewhere on flat soft surfaces, after doing my race on Saturday, a couple of hills on Sunday, and more hills yesterday.

My race report and photos from Saturday is somewhere on the front page.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Buelligan

Terrible hangover today.  Held off on running until close to evening and then it started raining.   Got 7 in, feel better.