Beginners and Beyond

Weekend Penguins Wishing for Spring (Read 25 times)

Zelanie

Brilliant- There was a 75 degree high for my marathon, and although it wasn't hot at the start (although I was already not cold in the corral), I do wonder if I'd have finished better if I'd have started more slowly.  That could have been from many things in addition to the heat, though!

Traci- Sounds like a hell of a run today!  Do you feel like running a HM next week would set you back at all?

LRB

My lower back aches at the ends of all my long runs. Do I need more core work?

I dealt with this as well back in the early days. My back would lock up immediately after a long run and inhibit my ability to stand upright or sometimes even walk.

The solution was to add more mileage during the week so that my long run was not a greater percentage of my weekly mileage. This may not be possible for you yet as you are finally to the point where you are running consistently, but as you continue your mileage build up it should become less of a problem.

The number you are looking for is 30, so when your long run is 30% of your total weekly mileage (or less) you will be golden.

Nice job fighting your way back!

Hi Pens!

Ticking in for the night, but sounded like an exiting weekend for all. Glad we are all safe and sound and getting through the last bit if winter with some if us getting teased with an emerging spring. Loved all the photos and race results, plus all the good stuff shared.

Was supposed to run 13 today, but cut myself short on time. The time change didn't help, but managed 10.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K