Beginners and Beyond

The LA Marathon (Read 95 times)

RSX

Congrats Brilliant!! I agree that you will be happier about it later.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Congrats Brilliant! I absolutely cannot imagine the courage and determination to train for and run in a full marathon.  You should be so proud of yourself.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

MothAudio

I'm done.  Apparently I beat Ryan Hall?  Wink  It was hot and horrible and I cramped and walked the last 7 or so, just like last year.  I'm so done with marathons until and unless I can get close to 2 in the half.

Congrats! I've only run one hot marathon. Marathons are rough. Hot marathons are stupid. Luckily it was my 2nd and I didn't know better! I believe slow marathons are stupid too, so I'm with you on that. And slow half marathons are almost as useless. Work on your speed before you take another crack at the longer distances  - it makes the ordeal easier even if the process is longer!

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

MothAudio

Very true, Mike. That's something I often think about myself, these days. I'm not of Hall's elite level, or even your level, but I think that what you said is true for runners of all skills. When you have peaked, there's no other way but down. .

Your PB is less than two years old. Hell, after I ran 3:12:23 on a bitter cold day in '95, 12 years after my 3:05, I thought it might be possible to take a crack at it. Then again, I tend toward the optimistic than realistic. There are faster courses than Boston. I beleive if you were to attempt to peak for one [1] race you could run faster than 3:27.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

on my way to badass

Wow Brilliant!  Heat and sun are not my friends.  I would have been a puddle by 10k.  Very inspiring!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No, I can see the future.

WITCH!  BREAK OUT THE TORCHES!  

Dang, Damaris, that is awful about the shooting in Puerto Rico.  Sadly, sounds a lot like San Antonio, we have a lot of that going on here too, in certain parts of town.

Congrats Brilliant!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

London 2012 - DNF
                  NYC 2012 - DNS (withdrew before Sandy Hurricane cancellation)
                  Boston 2013 - DNS
                  NYC 2013 - DNS
                  Boston 2014 - 2:17:50
                  Boulder Boulder 10K 30:12
                  Peachtree 10K 2014 -DNF
                  Napa-To-Sonoma Wine Country Half Marathon 2014 - DNF
                  RnR AZ 2015 - 1:14:16
                  LA 2015 - DNF

#inspire

<3

From the Internet.

Congrats on finishing in that nonsense Brilliant! Big grin You'll run another one, I'm sure. Come visit the East Coast for a fall marathon when you're ready, the weather around here is very conducive to racing in October/November!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

#inspire

He has more DNSs that I had pre and post surgery!

Damaris

Brilliant

Famous last words. I am sure you will feel differently later. And BTW, I have never even broken 2 hours in the HM, and still do marathons. It's OK to feel that way after all you went through today. Congrats!

You are so badass I didn't believe you and had to look up your PRs. Big grin  You are pretty darn close, and that's what I'm looking for, too!

Mmmmm...beer

I want to have a 2 hour half before my next marathon, so the next marathon will hopefully not be yet another almost- 6 hour death march....  Or my hubby pointed out that I can try a marathon that isn't in the 80s 3 hours in.

Congrats!!!

Ok, knock out your half, then plan to run Shamrock in Virginia Beach next year, flat, fast and the weather for the race this weekend will be in the 40s.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

You are so badass I didn't believe you and had to look up your PRs. Big grin  You are pretty darn close, and that's what I'm looking for, too!

That is a great attitude and goal to have.  There are runners however, who will never run a 2 hour half marathon or 4 hour marathon that still find joy in the sport. That joy begins with us trying to be the best that we can be, and not being ashamed to fall short of some arbitrary number that is completely unattainable for whatever reason.

So my advice is to do your best and live with the rest.

outoftheblue

Life is good.