Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Chocoholic Frolic 5K and 10K (Read 6 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:    http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%207%20Chocaholic%20Frolick%205K%20and%2010K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 7th race of 2017, held on Feb 5, was the Chocoholic Frolic 5K  (there was also a 10K) at Morgan’s Wonderland [www.morganswonderland.com], a beautiful park designed especially for those with special needs.  This park now has a world-wide reputation and parks like it in other locations have been made using its design.   This event supports The Academy at Morgan’s Wonderland, a special needs school co-located near the park.  I live about 3 miles from the park so, with an 8:30  a.m. start time, I was able to sleep in a bit.  Then it was off to the park, arriving with about 40 minutes to go to start time and getting some pre-start photos.

I have arrived at the park and the start line..

photo 001_zpsrzr4g4yl.jpg

photo 002_zpsa9fdv7gl.jpg

photo 004_zpsukuedknp.jpg

Always love seeing my lil "Munchkin" friend, Karen, lol...

photo 024_zps6hmcj5fr.jpg

photo 025_zpskpriwfus.jpg

Just inside the park...

photo 005_zpspqj9umd9.jpg

photo 006_zpswwfnvcop.jpg

Home of professional soccer in San Antonio is Toyota Stadium, right across from Morgan's Wonderland

photo 015_zpsmurkedqa.jpg

Various participants, supporters, etc.  The blue zipper shirts some people are wearing is the shirt that participants got in the goody bag.

photo 008_zpszgn6wotr.jpg

photo 007_zps7tasfvtz.jpg

photo 009_zpsllcedpqu.jpg

photo 011_zpsyba4aoff.jpg

photo 012_zps638csbzv.jpg

photo 013_zpsx4umhy59.jpg

photo 014_zps6050j2ce.jpg

photo 016_zpsys4pttq9.jpg

photo 017_zpshyotmhyo.jpg

photo 018_zpsvbej38gs.jpg

photo 019_zpshhkj0ybz.jpg

photo 020_zpsqtnmtm0j.jpg

photo 021_zpsycxy2ktn.jpg

photo 023_zpsvmiybchn.jpg

photo 026_zpsl3go3tkc.jpg

5K folks in the start area.  We started at 8:30 a.m.  The 10K folks started at 9:30 a.m.

photo 027_zpsvznhfjlh.jpg

photo 028_zpshauiapge.jpg

photo 029_zpskadg8i9o.jpg

photo 032_zpszoqj2kyu.jpg

Start line selfie with my old-fashioned Canon camera, lol.

photo 030_zpsyfxjkiwf.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start in front of Morgan’s Wonderland, do a loop around the roads near the park, Toyota Stadium, and Heroes Stadium, then finish by going inside the park and around the park’s man-made lake.   The course was actually a bit short – some people around me at the finish with garmins told me 2.9, others said 2.8, and a few said 3.0….so I’ll just ‘average it, and say about 2.9 miles.  No big deal for me, I am not training for anything, so whatever the actual distance was, I still enjoyed myself on this course.

San Antonio weather – and probably all around Texas too – was crazy again. We were just in the low 80s on Wednesday during the past week.  Then on race day, the temp dropped into the upper 50s, low 60s, rain threatening – it did not rain on us – and the humidity was pretty high, in the 90 percentile range.   Jeez, Mother Nature, make up your mind!

I did my usual 8-min run/2 min walk thing and took 2 walk breaks, getting some on-course photos during those.  After that, it was non-stop for me to the finish.    My finish time was 31:34...and the last mile I did, I noticed I completed in 10:18. That is speedy for my old legs, lol.

photo 033_zpsuti0hig3.jpg

photo 034_zps0w86hysm.jpg

photo 036_zpswu4z7zwi.jpg

photo 037_zpsmnc7uovz.jpg

photo 038_zpszujd9ggo.jpg

photo 039_zpsvqvsn8kn.jpg

photo 040_zpsrrb2518u.jpg

photo 041_zps8zhqizdw.jpg

The hill where the turn-around point was....I think this is where the course got 'shorted'....my guess is the turn-around point was not moved back enough on the hill....the 5K folks did this hill once - the 10K folks did it twice as they did 2 loops of the course.

photo 042_zpspok4myxk.jpg

photo 043_zpsixexrn1z.jpg

Heading back to the park and the finish...

photo 044_zpsxnwqa8rv.jpg

photo 045_zpsqcfbaurw.jpg

photo 046_zpswv2i1unl.jpg

photo 047_zps0idpir5p.jpg

photo 048_zps2bkxraff.jpg

photo 050_zpsxknzpnai.jpg

On the way back, saw this sign...

photo 107_zps34nzt4rz.jpg

And this Morgan's Wonderland 'water park" being built to open in Spring 2017...a water park designed specifically for those with special needs. Nice!

photo 109_zpskwobpvzi.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Postrace goodies were pretty simple, bottled water and you got a chocolate bar.  I gave my chocolate bar away, drank the water, and then wandered around getting some more photos.

photo 051_zpseytnbplv.jpg

photo 052_zpsfnlkoqwh.jpg

photo 054_zps1apgr04u.jpg

photo 055_zpserlw6zov.jpg

photo 056_zpswqrt6olg.jpg

photo 057_zpshdii9n5n.jpg

photo 058_zpsziu3ipde.jpg

photo 072_zpsnoaw5cm7.jpg

photo 073_zpsyraygeow.jpg

photo 074_zps4ekf3clv.jpg

photo 075_zpszvaliiqj.jpg

photo 076_zpsr2gcvvbh.jpg

photo 077_zps9trkfy2f.jpg

photo 059_zpsavshg0bq.jpg

If you are an old guy like me....surround yourself with pretty ladies, and you then look great! 

photo 061_zpsx5gtp3cz.jpg

The Race Director

photo 062_zpscucmglv1.jpg

Got some photos of the 10K folks as they began to gather for their start..

photo 063_zpsloong1yf.jpg

photo 065_zps1twa6h0e.jpg

photo 066_zpsapya2hgq.jpg

photo 067_zpssdoz8cek.jpg

photo 068_zpsudspcjhd.jpg

photo 069_zpsak5ew22j.jpg

photo 070_zpswlo4vljn.jpg

photo 071_zpspx7p6psl.jpg

After letting the 10K folks get a good start, I walked onto the course and got some photos of them on the course.  My friends from Team Beef had quite a few folks out there.

photo 078_zpsccxkqgmm.jpg

photo 079_zpsr3ulg9mi.jpg

photo 080_zps3e96o59a.jpg

photo 081_zpsew2qvrgk.jpg

photo 082_zpsdpyxf0gw.jpg

photo 083_zpslwsdzphe.jpg

photo 084_zps8gbuqgpy.jpg

photo 085_zpsku6b4klf.jpg

photo 086_zpskniamu6n.jpg

photo 087_zpskhkjswz8.jpg

photo 088_zpshl4vdywa.jpg

photo 089_zps3q6eahpk.jpg

photo 090_zpsgua2cjov.jpg

photo 091_zpsmdohh4cb.jpg

photo 092_zpscyyej1x7.jpg

photo 093_zpsz3trqzja.jpg

photo 094_zps6pg5kpkl.jpg

photo 095_zpsup8vdiig.jpg

photo 096_zpsjt6aoam8.jpg

photo 097_zpszzcrtbmd.jpg

I believe this guy was the overall male winner for the 10K

photo 098_zpsio2nja8s.jpg

photo 099_zpsgzpt3zah.jpg

photo 100_zpscwlqa9wp.jpg

photo 101_zps3pivtfru.jpg

photo 102_zpsmyacuhgu.jpg

photo 103_zps2hkhgwso.jpg

My friend Karen walking the 10K

photo 104_zpscfmdx6uk.jpg

photo 105_zpsxl1lhmmx.jpg

This lovely lady - her name went right out of my head, sorry - stopped to get a selfie with me, lol

photo 106_zpsbt7a8fja.jpg

EPILOGUE

Aside from having no post-race beer for me, this is a really enjoyable event.  When you get to run inside the Morgan’s Wonderland park grounds, it is always a very unique venue, and very nice.  This is the first time I’ve done the Chocaholic event and it seemed kind of low-key to me.  No results posted – you go online to find them – and no age group awards.  This one was all about just having fun and chocolate and getting a very nice pull-over zip-up shirt too in the goodie bag.  Lots of friendly people, a good race ‘atmosphere’ and pretty nice course, even if it was a tad short, but I’m sure that will probably be fixed in the future.  I would probably do this one again sometime.

MUCHO THANKS to all the people who made this one happen for us, volunteers, all the sponsors/vendors, law enforcement/park police,  Morgan’s Wonderland. etc.    Hope you enjoyed the report and photos.   Now I gotta go eat some chocolate..  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

That's different, having the 10k people start so much later.  It means a long morning for the volunteers, especially if you have walkers.  Looks like a lot of people participated in both races.

Zelanie

I was expecting more chocolate in this race report!  Is chocolate one of the things that you don't like, Scotty?

That park and water park for kids with special needs looks fantastic, and overall it looks like a great event!