Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Luckenbach Texas Outlaw Half Marathon and 5K (Read 31 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO and SHORT REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 17th race of 2015.  There was a 5K, which I did, and a half-marathon.  Put on by iRun Texas, a very good local running and race company.  Held at Luckenbach, Texas, about an hour's drive from where I live. This was the 2nd year this event has been put on and so far I'm on a streak for it, as I did the 5K last year too. The inaugural event last year was hugely successful and word must've gotten around because this year there were lots and lots of folks there.    I ended up 4th out of 15 in my age group (60 - 64) with a time of 33:03.  And since I did only the 5K, I got a head start over the half folks on the beer and food. 

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

I got up very early for the drive, so I would be there about an hour or so before start time. Luckenbach - of the song fame - is a quaint little place right off of a very rural country road.

Population 3.....

photo 055_zpsp5nxiuvj.jpg

Here's two of them....

photo 051_zpsa68cdz09.jpg

photo 073_zpszfatdzeg.jpg

Me and Mitch, owner of iRun Texas.  Super nice guy!

photo 012_zps71tyodli.jpg

Nice, wide area for everyone to spread out...

photo 009_zpsv0j8gmv5.jpg

photo 010_zpsxkcv3gls.jpg

Got some pre-start photos of some of the participants, supporters, and volunteers....

My apologies for this first photo.  I began using a new camera for this race, so naturally my first 'focus' attempt did not go so well.  OK, what REALLY happened is I was taking this photo and the Luckenback marshal came along and told me to 'blur it up a bit' because these two were his protected witnesses...    Well, you can still kinda make out who they are, but again, my apologies to them, and the next time I see them at an event, I owe them a drink and few good photos.

photo 001_zpsxiqpsdvf.jpg

The rest of the photos came out fairly well after I got my head out of my butt and began paying attention to the camera's focus signal....

photo 002_zpscprm6oqc.jpg

These 3 are wearing the nice tech tees that participants got...

photo 003_zpswdspn4nc.jpg

photo 004_zpsgzzdxdf6.jpg

photo 005_zpsfty4yqfa.jpg

photo 006_zpshsnywftu.jpg

photo 008_zpsentqz5pd.jpg

photo 013_zpsy1tcuakb.jpg

photo 014_zpsciasggpf.jpg

photo 015_zpsplb3nigy.jpg

photo 016_zpsc3ghnzph.jpg

photo 017_zpsagkosufi.jpg

photo 018_zpsbnhqdrjc.jpg

photo 019_zpsgy87beuc.jpg

photo 020_zps85o0q1t4.jpg

photo 021_zps6qmohb6r.jpg

photo 022_zpsm8kz8ji8.jpg

photo 023_zpsmlxcq12z.jpg

photo 024_zpsheo5xcz8.jpg

At the start area, people in front of me and behind me...

photo 025_zpsn1lrwmnr.jpg

photo 026_zpsmdhb7xpa.jpg

On The Course

The course started on dirt/gravel road with a 'light' climb' and then onto paved country roads - with no road shoulder, but the local residents I think knew about this event and I only saw 3 cars on the course and all those drivers were very patient with we participants, so thanks to them very much!   The course was out-and-back for both the half and the 5K, with the half, of course, having many more hills than the 5K did; and of, course each race participant had to do his/her course in reverse once he/she all got to his/her respective turn-arund point..   The last mile to finish was pretty much a downhill, then flat for a bit, and then a slight downhill and flat to finish after that. From what my friends who did the half told me, Mile 5 was apparently the "brutal" hill on the course.   Luckenback is in "Texas Hill Country" so some of these hills ain't no baby hills, that's for sure.   Temp was around 64 degrees or so at the 8 am. start time and it was also a bit humid and 'misty' - as you can see in the photos -  as our area has had off-and-on rain and storms that started Friday....but Mother Nature was kind to us and did not storm or rain for the races.

On the way to the turn-around point...the first two photos were on the road we started/finished on

photo 027_zpsnurferbj.jpg

photo 028_zpsrtxkwler.jpg

photo 029_zpsag5zfzzy.jpg

photo 030_zpskbnrekws.jpg

photo 031_zpsc8j4sgmo.jpg

photo 032_zpsef661qow.jpg

I've made the turn-around point for the 5K and am heading back now...

photo 033_zpspnn6skgo.jpg

photo 034_zpsbx4keqpe.jpg

photo 035_zpswhul2m85.jpg

photo 036_zps1tyhoign.jpg

photo 037_zps86k5xj7z.jpg

photo 038_zpsadwtuxqd.jpg

After the Finish

My first stop - the Shiner Bock tent.

photo 039_zpszbyjgobw.jpg

Yeah, beer!

photo 040_zpsgurwnrlu.jpg

There were also some very good sausages or bratwurst, or whatever they were...they were really good!  Compliments to the sausage crew and the cook!

photo 041_zpsu8mz9k7z.jpg

photo 042_zpshpvwyrgj.jpg

It's time for your close-up, Mr. Sausage...

photo 043_zpsivb2fd4n.jpg

Other goodies included....

photo 058_zpsdbciihcr.jpg

photo 067_zpsbmzlkwem.jpg

Massages available post-race

photo 053_zpsjl6zvnwk.jpg

The "massage crew"....and please think good thoughts for the young daughter of one of them, who is a fellow cancer survivor and is dealing with some health issues right now.

photo 070_zpspmiqka4c.jpg

Nice area to relax post-race and enjoy the goodies

photo 047_zpsn4bbe8zz.jpg

"Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporters...

photo 044_zpsvevf4o1d.jpg

photo 045_zps0mg0tq5e.jpg

photo 046_zps7opo64vo.jpg

photo 048_zpski4ppumq.jpg

photo 049_zpscmiwi3bk.jpg

photo 050_zpsoriao8ov.jpg

photo 052_zps69itqpdb.jpg

photo 054_zpsn5netxti.jpg

photo 056_zpsk6fmy7yb.jpg

photo 057_zpsia0jmpkx.jpg

photo 059_zps26dihyrr.jpg

photo 061_zpslbk12ihx.jpg

photo 062_zpsz5hy1wnc.jpg

photo 063_zpsy6jt1czx.jpg

photo 064_zpsomzuzldp.jpg

photo 065_zpscy8i0ev2.jpg

photo 066_zpsnyfnnypq.jpg

photo 068_zpss8xehxiy.jpg

photo 071_zpsktbwzctf.jpg

photo 072_zpsr0uik8fw.jpg

photo 074_zpsvsjrz4tm.jpg

My speedy 63 year old friend Jim, who finished the half in 1:52.

photo 075_zpsxag8vae2.jpg

This half finisher is very tall...when I first saw him coming in, I thought he was running on stilts, lol.

photo 076_zpsojgsti4x.jpg

photo 077_zpslayw0qyt.jpg

photo 078_zpsm9hvycoi.jpg

No, he did not ride the course, he just happened on it, not knowing about the event today.  Nice guy, took it all in stride (no pun intended) and the iRun folks let him hang out with all of us, cuz that's just the way those good folks at iRun are.

photo 079_zpsxwqskue1.jpg

photo 080_zpsgplcgfd2.jpg

photo 081_zpseekgnwme.jpg

photo 082_zpsrgbfa3ci.jpg

photo 083_zpsmskvvf9w.jpg

photo 084_zpsbdmutdvi.jpg

This is my friend, Eileen, with her husband.  It took me 3 photos before I finally got him to 'sorta' look straight at the camera, lol.

photo 085_zps3ubg2upg.jpg

photo 086_zps2wwxiyd4.jpg

photo 087_zpsxtibbeoj.jpg

photo 098_zpsw7lxjat4.jpg

photo 099_zpsj6hdzdtj.jpg

The Longhorn Guy from last year rode in around 10 a.m.

photo 103_zpslzbj3w3b.jpg

People could get a photo with the Longhorn.  I did not....me climbing anything, I have about as much balance and grace as a pig on ice...so I passed.....probably smart, as I may have ended up on the point of one of those long horns...

photo 108_zpswvxcjdte.jpg

photo 109_zps5uiaz6sp.jpg

These were the Age Group awards for the half-marathoners

photo 060_zpsjna0qp0c.jpg

photo 100_zpshvgy9duh.jpg

Friend Jim got 3rd in his age group...

photo 101_zpstupynogr.jpg

Some of the half marathoners coming in to the finish

My running acquaintance,  Mr. Galvan here, won the half in 1:19.  His wife, my friend Liza Galvan, was the first lady in 1:25.

photo 069_zpsm7cdp95e.jpg

photo 088_zpsshlddjfz.jpg

photo 089_zpsyh7s1pjz.jpg

photo 090_zpsprtz4qvp.jpg

photo 091_zpskxagoyke.jpg

This is one of the Luckenback 'population' and he was out cheering people in...he also had some music by "Journey"  loudly playing for us from his house right near the start/finish road.   When we all began the races, he started us off with "Don't Stop Believin'..."   nice!  As we went by his house at the start, I jokingly told a friend near me 'I guess our 'journey' has started... 

photo 092_zpszbqo7uvt.jpg

photo 093_zpsl8vyq35o.jpg

She and doggie were helping cheer the half folks in...

photo 094_zpsjkknl2ez.jpg

photo 095_zpsuuzsivz0.jpg

This lady had her own family cheer squad out there....

photo 096_zps86rl2hhn.jpg

...and here they are!

photo 097_zpssn1sxnad.jpg

Post-race music at the local dance hall....

photo 105_zpscf6zdilc.jpg

photo 107_zpshxwtm9x5.jpg

EPILOG

Love this event!  Mitch and his iRun Texas crew always do a great job with this event - and all the events they do!   Unique location, great course - although some of the half folks who don't like hills might not agree - a great turn-out of great people, lots of 'race comradery' all around, really super post-race goodies.  Definitely a keeper on the race calendar!  MUCHO thanks to all the folks that made this one happen for us:  organizers, sponsors, volunteers, post-race 'goodies and services' folks, law enforcement, etc.

Next up for me:  Race 18 for the year.  San Antonio RoadRunners Fiesta Missions 5K on April 18th. Yep, it is Fiesta time in San Antonio - party, party, party!  Viva Fiesta!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Very cool and memorable venue for the race.  Those age-group awards for the HMers looked awesome.

BTW,  my DW has a friend in San Antonio.  I politely informed my DW that  I  will accompany her to San Antonio if  and only if get to race with Scotty Dawg.  Who knows maybe in a year I will be able to run with you.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

GinnyinPA

I remember this one from last year.  It looks like a fun event.  It certainly is a popular one.  Nice AG awards.  It's always good to have something unique.

Zelanie

Looks like a blast again this year- and a ton of people were out!  Hope they put it on again next year!

Cool pics, Scotty.  Growlers as AG awards, brilliant!

LRB

Population 3.....

photo 055_zpsp5nxiuvj.jpg

Here's two of them....

photo 051_zpsa68cdz09.jpg

lol

LRB

This was pretty entertaining, nice job!

Say what kind of bun was that for the sausage? It looked like a pretzel roll.

outoftheblue

I love how much fun you have at your races.  And and race report with chicken pictures in it is a winner!

Life is good.

B-Plus

Congrats Scotty! Great photos and it looks like a fun event.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Nice photos. As usual. Love reading these. Congratulations.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**