Beginners and Beyond

FriLongWeekendDailies (Read 35 times)

Makes sense SIAR. Didn’t know you were dealing with an injury. Really hope your plan works out for you

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Makes sense SIAR. Didn’t know you were dealing with an injury. Really hope your plan works out for you

I like to think of it as successfully moving beyond  Somehow my hamstring had turned into what the doctor equated to a shriveled, dried up piece of leather. I'm on a voyage to suppleness again though!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Last year I did 4:27. I'm thinking I can take a good 10 minutes off that, if not 15.

Considering I'll be attempting a 3:05 marathon in the Fall, which is roughly a 7:00 pace (buffer for the extra 0.1-0.2 miles in most marathons), I'm targeting a much slower pace.

Hmmm.... I'm betting if things go well, which really means if nothing goes terribly wrong, you should knock off more than 15 minutes from last year.  Finding the right pace early I think will be key.  Also, I wouldn't think of it as a 50K, but rather a 4.5 hour race.  Looking forward to it!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I like to think of it as successfully moving beyond  Somehow my hamstring had turned into what the doctor equated to a shriveled, dried up piece of leather. I'm on a voyage to suppleness again though!

There are worse body parts that could end up this way.   Glad you are on the mend.  I've been battling a chronic hammy injury since late 2016.  After Chicago last year, I told DW that I won't be running anymore marathons.  But I didn't mention anything about ultras. 

3/17 - NYC Half

Cyberic

Hmmm.... I'm betting if things go well, which really means if nothing goes terribly wrong, you should knock off more than 15 minutes from last year.  Finding the right pace early I think will be key.  Also, I wouldn't think of it as a 50K, but rather a 4.5 hour race.  Looking forward to it!

The race director/organizer says that typically only sub3 marathoners go sub4 in this 50K race.

It's also a fun race, or at least I see it that way. I want to be chatting with others for at least the first 20 miles or so. That means hooking up with people. In a 60 participants race, I'll see what pace that is. To me it's like a 25 mile warmup before a 6 mile race.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

To me it's like a 25 mile warmup before a 6 mile race.

That works too. 

Do you think it's the unplanned stops (intersections) that contributed to the 1 hour delta (sub-3 to sub-4)?

3/17 - NYC Half

Cyberic

That works too. 

Do you think it's the unplanned stops (intersections) that contributed to the 1 hour delta (sub-3 to sub-4)?

There's that, and there's also the aid stations that are different from in a marathon. In this 50k, you don't run through. You stop and choose  on the table full of yummies what you want. You also need to give your bib number to the volunteers, although I've seen that done without stopping.

But the main thing is that with about 5-6 miles to go, you're by the river, so at the lowest point in the city, and the race finishes at the top of the mountain

Coastal

Hmm, never really thought of the idea as being unique, but I guess it is. I had just gotten to the point where my hamstring pretty much ruined all of my running. I took a bunch of time off, but it never healed. When I finally got around to seeing someone about it, there was a lot of junk to work through. Ultimately, after working on the initial damage, what he said was that I needed to run to make it better. The problem was, running hard still aggravated it. So, I basically need to get my body built back up to the point where I can run the kind of volume I want while still being able to include speed.

My thinking is, I'd rather get the volume to where I want it , and then start adding in the speed. Since I'd like to be running in the 80+mpw range, I almost need the bulk of the year to get there while staying healthy. It's not to say my paces aren't picking up, because they definitely are, but that's primarily just off the benefits of volume and not training faster.

The other aspect of it is that I just needed to commit mentally to being a runner again. For that, I made the goal to run every day this year (so far so good - just couldn't get this site to grab all of my data when I came back on board). To a degree, it's a dumb pursuit. But, having that goal is giving me the consistency I need to actually have something to build off of again.

And then to actually answer your question, yes, I'll kick back into full marathon cycles next  year and working to be more competitive again. In some ways, I'm looking at it like I'm running for 2020 right now...this year to build the volume, next year to train, 2020 to reap the rewards.

Sorry for all the me talk...it was kinda hard to put that in words, so I hope it makes sense.

This makes a lot of sense.

Half Crazy K 2.0

It was hot here too, my car said 93 on the drive home. 7.5 miles, went through the neighborhood where the police officer was killed Monday. It felt odd--like what exactly is the right thing to do while going by the small memorial of flowers? Are you supposed to pause? Bow your head? Reflect? There was also a large heart in the road, which I think may be where she actually was. Pretty somber to go by that, but by contrast, kids were out playing in the court. There is a much larger memorial at the police precinct, this neighborhood is tucked off the main road, but I am guessing by the slow, kids at play signs that just appeared, traffic has greatly increased. Drivers have gone back to being assholes & totally ignoring crosswalks,, They were nice for about 3 days.

Docket_Rocket

Calling Docket away from her day of rest....

Have you tried these Inknburn shorts? https://www.inknburn.com/womens-batik-4-shorts/ wondering how they fit.

LOL, yes.

PS, I have all the inknburn...

They are really comfy.  I only run marathons now in either their 4" or the 6" shorts. I put 5 gels in one pocket and the phone and my iPod in the other and they fit comfortably.  I find that their shorts/capris/tights are a bit generous.  I wear a Size 4 in those shorts and I'm nowhere near a 4.  What size do you wear in other brands?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

It was NOT hot here as it has been raining since one storm left us and another one is moving in.  It was only 76F, neener neener.

And I ran 5 because I ran out of time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

LOL, yes.

PS, I have all the inknburn...

They are really comfy.  I only run marathons now in either their 4" or the 6" shorts. I put 5 gels in one pocket and the phone and my iPod in the other and they fit comfortably.  I find that their shorts/capris/tights are a bit generous.  I wear a Size 4 in those shorts and I'm nowhere near a 4.  What size do you wear in other brands?

I wear a 6 in lulu. Sizing down to a 4 makes me nervous, lol 😂

Docket_Rocket

I wear 6 in Lulus except the speed shorts (I wear 8 in those).  Try the 6 then and see.  Shouldn't be too big anyway.

Damaris

Fundraising Page