Beginners and Beyond

Happy MLK Mondailies! (Read 73 times)

LRB

Uh no, it was the actual ligament.  You know the kind of pic that makes your butt cheeks clamp shut!

delicate flower

Uh no, it was the actual ligament.  You know the kind of pic that makes your butt cheeks clamp shut!

From what I understand, the meniscus tear and bone bruising is what's keeping me from running right now.  I've decided not to try it again until I'm no longer limping, and I've still got a pretty good limp going.

<3

runmomto3boys

Robert: Congratulations on knocking out your longest run to date!!  Incredible job!!!

LRB: I hope the Myrtl stuff went well.

Sarah: Rock that 5-6 mile run today!  Windy, but not terrible.

Jedi: Impressive job on that 5K PR this weekend.  You are clearly getting faster!  Nicely done!

Damaris: I hope the shot wasn't a big deal.

Jneilt: I hope the 6 miles go well today!

D2: Well, how awesome is that assessment????  Bravo!

Shari: Great job on the 8 w/some speed work thrown in for good measure.

Tom: Nicely done!  Great progressive run!

Phil: Good job getting in that elliptical work.

DVD done. The formerly impossible hip exercise sequence (previously, I couldn't complete it w/o taking a breather mid-way through) is now doable. Yay for that!  FX all this extracurricular work/stretching/rolling pays off and helps ward off any more injuries.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I want a produce place like that here! And it would be nice, too, to have a TJ's closer. There is one a little over an hour away, but I cannot justify driving there. And what is cookie butter? Sounds incredibly, awesomely unhealthy.

It's amazing! It's a spread like a nut butter, but it tastes like a COOKIE. The label says to use it on pancakes or waffles. I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!

I lied. I ended up going for a run. 4 miles done... a little faster than I wanted due to having run over 26 miles over the past 4 days, but my body didn't want to slow down so eventually I just went with it. The high for tomorrow is only 21, so I wanted to take advantage of the sunlight on my day off. Rest day tomorrow! Big grin

StepbyStep-SH

SIAR - Obviously, there is a point where the run no longer serves as recovery, which will vary based on individual fitness. I would say that, for me, more than 6-8 miles would be too far. For you, it may be longer, but the key is in the effort, both cardio and muscular (so hills depend on how much it impacts your muscles). I would say it is a recovery run if the effort level never goes beyond one that lets you speak in nearly full conversational mode (multiple sentences), and you never feel as though you are taxing your muscles. JMO.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Pinktastic

DVD done. The formerly impossible hip exercise sequence (previously, I couldn't complete it w/o taking a breather mid-way through) is now doable. Yay for that!  FX all this extracurricular work/stretching/rolling pays off and helps ward off any more injuries.

Which DVD are you doing?   I hope to avoid the dreaded hip issues so I want to get a jump start on all this stuff.

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

LRB

FX all this extracurricular work/stretching/rolling pays off and helps ward off any more injuries.

I stretched religiously for a spell last year and after awhile got bored with it and quit, only to be told months later that I need to stretch!  Had I never stopped, I likely would not have had an achilles problem.

It is one of those things that only matter when you don't do them, like wearing a seat belt.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR - Obviously, there is a point where the run no longer serves as recovery, which will vary based on individual fitness. I would say that, for me, more than 6-8 miles would be too far. For you, it may be longer, but the key is in the effort, both cardio and muscular (so hills depend on how much it impacts your muscles). I would say it is a recovery run if the effort level never goes beyond one that lets you speak in nearly full conversational mode (multiple sentences), and you never feel as though you are taxing your muscles. JMO.

That's my general understanding too, but I thought I'd throw it out to see what others thought. I think 10 miles is probably the upper limit of recovery for me, but it's hard to "give up miles" on recovery days when trying to do more miles. The pace definitely stays conversational for the duration. I guess over 10 and I might need to double it.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

StepbyStep-SH

That's my general understanding too, but I thought I'd throw it out to see what others thought. I think 10 miles is probably the upper limit of recovery for me, but it's hard to "give up miles" on recovery days when trying to do more miles. The pace definitely stays conversational for the duration. I guess over 10 and I might need to double it.

That's just what I was going to say. I think a lot of the higher mileage plans (and I think Hudson even talks about it) will have two recovery runs in a day, each in the 5-7 mile range. So you get the total miles, but without it overworking your muscles.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  The allergy shot was meh OK.  A bit swollen but nothing like the last time they shoot me with this one.  4 hours of driving were worth it to FE with a fellow forumite and we had a great time!

Now off to rest.  Drinking might be involved.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I'm going to work out tonight and may try the Eleptical for the first time. I did get the Garmin Forerunner 10 yesterday and looking forward to trying it out in a few days.

Happy Monday everyone!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice holiday weekend for me:

Saturday:  Did a 5K, relaxed at home with Gail after that.

Sunday:  Gail and I went to a local park. Did 4.2 miles in the beeeyooteeful sunshine and nearly 70 degree weather.  Watched the playoffs later and both teams I was rooting for won.  Now hope Baltimore takes the Super Bowl.

Monday:  Slept in a bit, then went to the gym at Randolph Air Force Base.  3.2 miles done then went inside the gym and did my full-body weight training circuit post run.  Now at home, enjoying more sunshine and a 71-degree day, sweet.

Dang, 55 posts, y'all have been busy!   Now back to read everything and maybe do a few personals.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Top of the morning to y'all!

Getting hitched today. No, it's not what you think - I'm getting the trailer receiver installed on my car this morning, then off to work this evening for night shifts.

Take a little time to reflect on the words of Martin Luther King. I'm not convinced that we're fulfilling his dream very well.

Well, Tom, some guys are married to their RVs..or their boats...etc.  Wink

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Mornin' Peepsters!

Ran a little race yesterday so I'm switching my days off from yesterday to today.

Here's some vitals:

Time: 1:43:39 (was shooting for a 1:42)

Overall: 28/279

Women: 8/163

Age Group: 1/8 (pays to be an old fart!)

My legs are a tad bit tired, so I'm going to stretch today. A lot.

Have a wonderful day off (or not) today everyone!

Way to go flarunner!

Women 8/163.  For some reason I always assumed you were male, so excuse me for that. Now that I know otherwise, I just have one question:  where's the Great Legs photos of you from the race? Big grin Wink

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Sa-weet!

I'm gonna get my Myrtle on here in a bit.  I've been looking for other ways to target my adductors (inner thighs) and there just isn't a lot out there that I am not already doing.

I did come across this page in case anyone is interested, but what I really like to do are the lateral hops and walks in this video.

I also have some running drills that I will be looking to add to my workouts when weather permits.

I watched the video of that link, LRB, and then I just had to laugh...at myself! Cuz I can't even do some of those exercises, with my hips, even though the video makes them look not that difficult - altho once you start doing them, I bet it is tough.  Anyway, I had a hip and spine birth defect and even today my hips will simply NOT move into certain positions without major discomfort/pain.   So much for myrtle, I guess.  I admire my fellow runners that are flexible enough to get into those positions.