Beginners and Beyond


2017 Race #58 - Break The Silence on Ovarian Cancer 5K (Read 4 times)


Barking Mad To Run


    I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

    And a big thanks to for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more


    Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.  


    Link to photos only:


    A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them.     All in all, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save. J



    My 57th race of 2017, on Sep 2, was Break The Silence On Ovarian Cancer 5K.  Held at Missions County Park in San Antonio.   This race supported research for finding a cure for Ovarian Cancer.  9:30 a.m. start time for the 5K, so I got to sleep in a bit, then drove to the park where a friend had kindly gotten my packet for me, got my bib and timing chip, and then wandered around taking some pre-start photos.


    I have arrived.  In front of the Ovarian Cancer poster


    Some of the first ones I encountered were these colorful and talented folks.

     photo 001_zpsr3njvobb.jpg

     photo 006_zpsterpamr2.jpg


    Nice place to stay in the shade and keep cool while waiting for the start

     photo 012_zpsqwtvjpfa.jpg


    These two had to hold up the start/finish line for the whole event..   Wink   Caught them while they were waiting for all the air to fully pump it up.

     photo 022_zpsxsq073l8.jpg


    Some of the goodies laid favorite dessert!

     photo 023_zpsqghzwqcn.jpg

     photo 024_zpsd4mecgkb.jpg






    Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc

     photo 002_zpsbphqp9ba.jpg


     photo 003_zps4itawp9o.jpg

     photo 004_zps7mtnt2bi.jpg


     photo 007_zpsx6mgcss7.jpg


     photo 008_zpsshmfgjab.jpg


     photo 011_zpsubhfic2s.jpg


     photo 014_zpsvwwfwole.jpg


     photo 016_zpsruknuumb.jpg


     photo 018_zpsbbasbzmo.jpg


     photo 019_zpswqjuodqa.jpg


     photo 021_zps61mgei7v.jpg


     photo 025_zpsglgutnho.jpg


     photo 026_zps8ihwdwbt.jpg


     photo 027_zpsrijyv18d.jpg


    Ovarian cancer color is teal...right down to the lipstick

     photo 029_zpsag5r0io1.jpg


     photo 030_zpsnbjxrbph.jpg


    My two friend here - banditing the event!  Just joking.  They live nearby and were doing their training run on their own and stopped by for a look at all the activity.

     photo 031_zpsndhvxifg.jpg


     photo 032_zpsb5qvs3m1.jpg


    Taking a bow - this guy with the violin played the National Anthem beautifully on it.  Apparently one of the dogs there agreed - every time he hit certain notes, the dog would sing along.

     photo 033_zpsnynqek6k.jpg


    Thanks for being there for us.  I told these guy I did not want to see them at the finish line when I got there, lol.

     photo 034_zpsicjv2bok.jpg


    One of our MCs giving us instructions right before we start

     photo 035_zpsvoqkqvii.jpg


     photo 036_zps5pqzh6ky.jpg

     photo 038_zpsf1qdmxih.jpg


    He had to be hot in this outfit

     photo 039_zpssy5e1mjb.jpg


     photo 040_zpsrc8dkjxm.jpg



    The start and finish line is ready...let's go!

     photo 037_zpsup0ywiw9.jpg




    As noted, start time of 9:30 a.m., a bit of a late start for us San Antonio and Texas runners, especially as Sep 2nd is still considered part of our summer season, so we much prefer earlier morning starts; so it was pretty warm by the time we got going.  Even so, felt pretty good out on the course – thank goodness over the summer I do some weekly 5 pm runs when it is 90+, so that probably helped – and did pretty well.  The course was a tad short – about 2.9, instead of 3.1. – but that was okay for me – don’t know about the other participants - it was just a fun run for me.  I ended up with a chip time of 31:04 for the 2.9 miles. The course was an out-and-back along the Mission Reach part of the San Antonio Riverwalk, had a couple of fairly mild hills, and some really nice views of the river.

     photo 041_zpso9tbdgic.jpg


     photo 042_zps1s2u69si.jpg


     photo 043_zpsi5qbz19s.jpg


    I am on a hill above, looking down at this bridge I just crossed moments ago

     photo 044_zps7ejhlw44.jpg


    and where I was before.

     photo 045_zpso9zxqbdh.jpg


    Moving forward again

     photo 046_zpsnfkeiekb.jpg


     photo 047_zpsbee5qosh.jpg


    Halfway point - turn-around volunteers

     photo 048_zpsevbjm6oi.jpg


    Heading toward the finish, river on my left as I go back

     photo 049_zpswpvgpabg.jpg


     photo 050_zpsinyp1kcq.jpg


     photo 051_zpsqrzqflbi.jpg


     photo 052_zpszvvrl9ug.jpg


     photo 053_zpslsr5n30e.jpg


     photo 054_zpszin6zdan.jpg

     photo 055_zpsog4oqugk.jpg


    Standing on the bridge as I head back to the finish, looking down the river

     photo 056_zps4ge5avit.jpg


    And then up the river

     photo 058_zpsp5stk1o6.jpg





    After I got done, got a few photos around the finish line, and then wandered around the park grounds getting some of more of the ‘happy finishers’, volunteers etc


     photo 060_zpsuud9r4vv.jpg


     photo 061_zpsrpviggf8.jpg


     photo 062_zpsiyhv2xyj.jpg


     photo 063_zpsktpk4kbv.jpg


     photo 064_zpsslpajyl2.jpg


     photo 065_zpsz1ecxcxp.jpg


     photo 066_zpskb9btktq.jpg


    Three 'sisters'   

     photo 067_zpsdt7se1r5.jpg

     photo 068_zpstiqu6qil.jpg

     photo 069_zpskspcti7x.jpg


     photo 070_zpsytroa1uf.jpg


     photo 071_zpsic0wjbpi.jpg


    If I remember correctly, I believe this young lady on the right was first in her age group

     photo 072_zpsqj5xk8pk.jpg


    Announcing the winners - which was not me, lol

     photo 073_zpsktgyq4bh.jpg


     photo 075_zps4kq0jkuo.jpg


     photo 076_zpsmt87cehs.jpg


     photo 077_zpsquz3iute.jpg


     photo 078_zpswdbwtggc.jpg




     photo 083_zpsldf9ryvo.jpg


    Batman found his girl....

     photo 084_zpsezjov8jq.jpg


    And finally....

    Two old dogs, lol

     photo 079_zpsrtbuiewf.jpg


     photo 081_zpshyayiyg7.jpg





    Aside from the late start, this was a pretty well organized event with a lot going on.  Packet pickup for race day was at 7 a.m., there was an ‘opening ceremony’ at 8 a.m., then a ‘strut parade’ for costumed people at 8:30, then a photo at 9 of all the ovarian cancer survivors there; a warmup at 9:15 and then the 5K got going at 9:30.   I enjoyed myself and would recommend this one to my fellow runners and walker, even with the late start –I would do this one again – but I sure hope they do change the schedule around a bit next time for an earlier start.  The only ‘glitch” I heard about from a few participants was that the bottled water provided ran out too early before the start, my guess being probably from people trying to stay hydrated while they waited around for the late start.  Thankfully, the park did have several water fountains, so people could drink from those, but might want to order more water for the next one.

    MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for the participants: all the sponsors, volunteers, park police and EMT folks that were there, et al. Without all of you doing what you do, there would be no events for us to do, so thank you very much for what you do!

    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt