Beginners and Beyond

2017 Race #58 - Break The Silence on Ovarian Cancer 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.  

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2057%20Ovarian%20Cancer%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them.     All in all, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save. J

BEFORE MY START

My 57th race of 2017, on Sep 2, was Break The Silence On Ovarian Cancer 5K.  Held at Missions County Park in San Antonio.   This race supported research for finding a cure for Ovarian Cancer.  9:30 a.m. start time for the 5K, so I got to sleep in a bit, then drove to the park where a friend had kindly gotten my packet for me, got my bib and timing chip, and then wandered around taking some pre-start photos.

I have arrived.  In front of the Ovarian Cancer poster

Some of the first ones I encountered were these colorful and talented folks.

photo 001_zpsr3njvobb.jpg

photo 006_zpsterpamr2.jpg

Nice place to stay in the shade and keep cool while waiting for the start

photo 012_zpsqwtvjpfa.jpg

These two had to hold up the start/finish line for the whole event..   Wink   Caught them while they were waiting for all the air to fully pump it up.

photo 022_zpsxsq073l8.jpg

Some of the goodies laid out....mmmm....cookie....my favorite dessert!

photo 023_zpsqghzwqcn.jpg

photo 024_zpsd4mecgkb.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, supporters, etc

photo 002_zpsbphqp9ba.jpg

photo 003_zps4itawp9o.jpg

photo 004_zps7mtnt2bi.jpg

photo 007_zpsx6mgcss7.jpg

photo 008_zpsshmfgjab.jpg

photo 011_zpsubhfic2s.jpg

photo 014_zpsvwwfwole.jpg

photo 016_zpsruknuumb.jpg

photo 018_zpsbbasbzmo.jpg

photo 019_zpswqjuodqa.jpg

photo 021_zps61mgei7v.jpg

photo 025_zpsglgutnho.jpg

photo 026_zps8ihwdwbt.jpg

photo 027_zpsrijyv18d.jpg

Ovarian cancer color is teal...right down to the lipstick

photo 029_zpsag5r0io1.jpg

photo 030_zpsnbjxrbph.jpg

My two friend here - banditing the event!  Just joking.  They live nearby and were doing their training run on their own and stopped by for a look at all the activity.

photo 031_zpsndhvxifg.jpg

photo 032_zpsb5qvs3m1.jpg

Taking a bow - this guy with the violin played the National Anthem beautifully on it.  Apparently one of the dogs there agreed - every time he hit certain notes, the dog would sing along.

photo 033_zpsnynqek6k.jpg

Thanks for being there for us.  I told these guy I did not want to see them at the finish line when I got there, lol.

photo 034_zpsicjv2bok.jpg

One of our MCs giving us instructions right before we start

photo 035_zpsvoqkqvii.jpg

photo 036_zps5pqzh6ky.jpg

photo 038_zpsf1qdmxih.jpg

He had to be hot in this outfit

photo 039_zpssy5e1mjb.jpg

photo 040_zpsrc8dkjxm.jpg

The start and finish line is ready...let's go!

photo 037_zpsup0ywiw9.jpg

ON THE COURSE

As noted, start time of 9:30 a.m., a bit of a late start for us San Antonio and Texas runners, especially as Sep 2nd is still considered part of our summer season, so we much prefer earlier morning starts; so it was pretty warm by the time we got going.  Even so, felt pretty good out on the course – thank goodness over the summer I do some weekly 5 pm runs when it is 90+, so that probably helped – and did pretty well.  The course was a tad short – about 2.9, instead of 3.1. – but that was okay for me – don’t know about the other participants - it was just a fun run for me.  I ended up with a chip time of 31:04 for the 2.9 miles. The course was an out-and-back along the Mission Reach part of the San Antonio Riverwalk, had a couple of fairly mild hills, and some really nice views of the river.

photo 041_zpso9tbdgic.jpg

photo 042_zps1s2u69si.jpg

photo 043_zpsi5qbz19s.jpg

I am on a hill above, looking down at this bridge I just crossed moments ago

photo 044_zps7ejhlw44.jpg

and where I was before.

photo 045_zpso9zxqbdh.jpg

Moving forward again

photo 046_zpsnfkeiekb.jpg

photo 047_zpsbee5qosh.jpg

Halfway point - turn-around volunteers

photo 048_zpsevbjm6oi.jpg

Heading toward the finish, river on my left as I go back

photo 049_zpswpvgpabg.jpg

photo 050_zpsinyp1kcq.jpg

photo 051_zpsqrzqflbi.jpg

photo 052_zpszvvrl9ug.jpg

photo 053_zpslsr5n30e.jpg

photo 054_zpszin6zdan.jpg

photo 055_zpsog4oqugk.jpg

Standing on the bridge as I head back to the finish, looking down the river

photo 056_zps4ge5avit.jpg

And then up the river

photo 058_zpsp5stk1o6.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

After I got done, got a few photos around the finish line, and then wandered around the park grounds getting some of more of the ‘happy finishers’, volunteers etc

photo 060_zpsuud9r4vv.jpg

photo 061_zpsrpviggf8.jpg

photo 062_zpsiyhv2xyj.jpg

photo 063_zpsktpk4kbv.jpg

photo 064_zpsslpajyl2.jpg

photo 065_zpsz1ecxcxp.jpg

photo 066_zpskb9btktq.jpg

Three 'sisters'   

photo 067_zpsdt7se1r5.jpg

photo 068_zpstiqu6qil.jpg

photo 069_zpskspcti7x.jpg

photo 070_zpsytroa1uf.jpg

photo 071_zpsic0wjbpi.jpg

If I remember correctly, I believe this young lady on the right was first in her age group

photo 072_zpsqj5xk8pk.jpg

Announcing the winners - which was not me, lol

photo 073_zpsktgyq4bh.jpg

photo 075_zps4kq0jkuo.jpg

photo 076_zpsmt87cehs.jpg

photo 077_zpsquz3iute.jpg

photo 078_zpswdbwtggc.jpg

photo 083_zpsldf9ryvo.jpg

Batman found his girl....

photo 084_zpsezjov8jq.jpg

And finally....

Two old dogs, lol

photo 079_zpsrtbuiewf.jpg

photo 081_zpshyayiyg7.jpg

EPILOGUE

Aside from the late start, this was a pretty well organized event with a lot going on.  Packet pickup for race day was at 7 a.m., there was an ‘opening ceremony’ at 8 a.m., then a ‘strut parade’ for costumed people at 8:30, then a photo at 9 of all the ovarian cancer survivors there; a warmup at 9:15 and then the 5K got going at 9:30.   I enjoyed myself and would recommend this one to my fellow runners and walker, even with the late start –I would do this one again – but I sure hope they do change the schedule around a bit next time for an earlier start.  The only ‘glitch” I heard about from a few participants was that the bottled water provided ran out too early before the start, my guess being probably from people trying to stay hydrated while they waited around for the late start.  Thankfully, the park did have several water fountains, so people could drink from those, but might want to order more water for the next one.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for the participants: all the sponsors, volunteers, park police and EMT folks that were there, et al. Without all of you doing what you do, there would be no events for us to do, so thank you very much for what you do!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt