Beginners and Beyond

Week 26 Penguins ... did you see that UFO?? (06/23-06/29) (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hello, Penguins!!  Today is World UFO Day, so if you see something weird, say something!  I am facing my last week of work before a week's vacation, so it's time to buckle down and get stuff done.  So of course I've crossed off exactly one thing on my list.  Fixing to do another, though.  I had a lovely weekend, with a movie and video games and weeding and baking and knitting, good stuff all around.  Today is another hot sunny summer day, so yoga and biking done, walk scheduled for later.  Somehow I did something to the bottom of my foot, feels like a bruise right under the center of the ball of my foot.  That made me bail on Friday's walk, because I'm just not sure going for a limp is a good idea.  Wondering if it was wearing "regular" shoes in the lab, when I'm used to zero drop now.  So I brought in my Merrels, and I'm fixing to shop for a new pair of Merrels.  These are getting pretty worn on the bottom anyway.  Can't quite see my socks yet, but soon.  My foot is better today after being off of it a lot of the weekend, so we'll see how today's walk feels.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

Another vacation? Are you going someplace interesting? Sorry your foot hurts. I hope new shoes fix the problem.

My ankle feels better, so I'll try a few miles on the TM this afternoon and see how it does.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have Pilates and 8.  In Broward today and I have no scanner to send some of the paperwork that needs a wet signature for my transfer to Indy. Grrrr.  Fortunately the clerk's office will lend me theirs this afternoon.

HopesMom, sorry about the foot.  Have fun on vacation.

Ginny, glad the ankle feels better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

The last vacation wasn't a vacation, it was a conference.  However, I am going back to Georgia!  Since I did my grad work in Athens, a lot of my friends from that time have settled in or near Georgia -- we're actually the furthest away up in VA.  Anyway, every few years or so we try to get together around July 4th, and it's been a while, so I figured it was time and "suggested" it to the group.  DH and I will take the drive in two days, since we're headed all the way down to Macon, then party with the gang on the 3rd, hang out on the 4th, then head back.  Should be good times!

Singer who runs a smidge

Yoga and biking done, woo-hoo!!  It's going to be way hot today, and the rest of the week.  Actually, I think today is the coolest day this week, with a forecast high of 88 (at home, it's a lot higher in Richmond which is a little south and has a lot more pavement!)  We were all awake at 5:00, so we just decided to get up.  I don't know what that's about, solstice sun maybe?  Anyway, we'll probably crash as soon as dinner is over tonight! 

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is much like yesterday, except I managed to sleep until the alarm went off at 5:30.  Yoga done, biking done, walk later.  Most of the stuff from my PT days comes up somewhere in my yoga routine, except for clamshells.  Since my knees got better up to a point, but are still not all the way back, I decided to stick some clamshells in there.  Wow, my hips act like they've never done a clamshell in their life.  Guess that means it's a good idea ... sigh ...

GinnyinPA

Start of a heat wave here so I'll be spending the next few days running in the basement. In a way that's good because I'm much better at stretching afterwards when I have my yoga mat handy.

Singer who runs a smidge

Yep, it's hot.  Today, just like yesterday, just like tomorrow.  Hey, at least there's predictability!

Yoga this morning, no biking due to chorus.  I'll decide later about a walk -- might take the day off.  My foot is still bothering me a bit.  Dusty woke us up at 4:00 -- he's been chewing on the side of his leg for some reason, so DH got up to put some antibiotic ointment on it and woke me up too.  So we're all dragging a little today.  Luckily we're on vacation next week, although Dusty will get boarded, and I know they won't watch him as closely as we do, so that's a concern.

GinnyinPA

HM - you might try putting Listerine on the spot where he is chewing. It tastes bad enough he'll let it alone, but is antiseptic in case there is something like a bite that could get infected. Dogs get bad hot spots really easily when they lick or chew themselves, so it's good to head it off before it becomes serious.

We woke up early but it didn't really help much when we walked Ben; the feels like was already 90ish. I keep trying to talk myself into running anyway but with no shade and no breeze, I'm better off staying home and running on the TM.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ah, we will try the Listerine!!  Will Crest Pro Health work, do you think?

GinnyinPA

Same concept, though it doesn't taste as bad.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I'm back from my business trip and took today off.  Went to bed with a migraine from my BP being high all week so adjusting the dose again.  I want to curse my mother for giving me this crap that never gets better. 

HopesMom, poor Dusty.  Hope that helps.

Ginny, hi.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, we tried the mouthwash last night.  I slept fine, but DH said Dusty still chewed on his leg a bit.  We'll keep trying.  Yoga done, biking done.  Walk later, I think.  Tonight we're going to a barbershop show, and then I'm off all next week.  Heading down to Georgia (again, though not Atlanta) to see some friends.  So somebody start the Penguin thread on Monday!  ;-)

GinnyinPA

Have a good trip.