Beginners and Beyond

Shoes - Use different pairs for speed work vs. long runs? (Read 34 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Is there any consensus on whether it's worthwhile having different shoes for different types of workouts?  I've seen more than a few discussions and comments about rotating through different pairs of shoes in general and sometimes using the pair that fits right that day, but I've not seen as much on choosing based on the workout.  For instance, is there a benefit to using one kind of shoe for easy/long runs, perhaps one with more support, and using a lighter shoe for speed work, especially on a track?  I've seen shoes recommended for race distances (e.g. 5k vs. half marathon) - would the 5k shoes be good for speed work days even while training for a marathon?  Or am I better off with my feet being accustomed to one kind of shoe even if I rotate through brands/models?

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

onemile

I wear my race shoes (Adidas Adios) for speedwork and my heavier more cushioned shoes (Brooks Ghost) for easy runs.  If I am doing a fast long run (with portions at MP and faster) I will wear the Adios and this is the shoe I use for race distances 5k to marathon.

I have before had race shoes that I reserved for shorter distances only (5k to 10k) and race shoes for longer distances (half to marathon) in which case I did intervals and similar workouts in those and tempo / long run workouts in the longer-distance race shoe. If that makes sense. But in no circumstance would I wear my easy run shoes for a workout of any kind.

onemile

Also, I have in the past used support shoes for easy runs and neutral racers for workouts and races. But at the moment all of my shoes are neutral.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I have a similar shoe selection as onemile.  Adidas Adizero Bostons for speed work, tempos, and races.  I also have Adios, but they're a bit light for my preference, but I'd use them for 5K or 10K if I ever get back to racing those distances.  I'll often wear the Bostons for regular long runs.  Brooks Ghosts for easy, light trails, and uber-long runs.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

But in no circumstance would I wear my easy run shoes for a workout of any kind.

Ha, I do this and I believe onemile has chastised me for it. I bought lighter-weight racing shoes for the first time only about a year ago (Brooks Asteria). And I've used them for all races 5k to marathon, but not necessarily for all workouts. My harebrained theory being (1) avoid wearing them out, (2) I don't need the extra speed as much in workouts, just the effort, which is not shoe-specific.

Anyway I am not the right person for shoe advice.

Dave

LRB

I have three types of running shoes which weigh approximately 11.6 ounces, 8.8 ounces and 6.4 ounces.

The heaviest ones were originally for long runs, until I started having injury issues, then I wore them for everything including speed work. I also ran a marathon in them, but was just there to cover the distance, not "race" it in the traditional sense.

I do most of my speed work in the middleweight pair, but have also raced and run long in them. I have raced distances from the mile to the marathon in my racing flats with no issue. I generally avoid jogging in my flats, but have on occasion, run 2 - 4 miles in a new pair to test them out before a race.

I think having different shoes for specific runs is an individual thing and not necessarily a prerequisite to the sport. It took me years to find shoes that work for me, but it's nice to be able to grab a sleek pair when you want to run fast to help with your mindset, if you're into that. Some people are not and that is perfectly fine.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Mizuno Wave Riders for everything. I have multiple pairs, I wear the newest ones for races.

onemile

I used to wear Brooks Adrenaline for everything including my first BQ

My first 2 marathons. And Ravennas for the next 5, including my first BQ.

Dave

LRB

I wore the Nike Lunarglide 3 for my first 2 marathons and every other run and race in 2012. Then they changed the style/fit of the LG4 and I started feeling pain in my ankle, and that was the end of that.

Cyberic

Don't need to have specific shoes for different workouts, but many do it. I like to have many pairs available. One of the reasons is for the workout type. The other reason is for injury prevention as LRB has mentioned. There are times when I need extra cushioning, other times when I need higher drop or lower drop, other times when I won't wear shoes that are tight on top, because the top of my foot hurts, and so on. I think having many pairs of shoes plays a good part in how I manage to run through minor injuries.

RunningOnSand

I never used to switch out shoes, but started to sometime within the past year?

I wear my NB 1400 v5 for all workouts, races, and workouts w/HMP to MP miles in them, and the Brooks Ghosts 10 for all my easy stuff and slow long miles.

Is there any consensus on whether it's worthwhile having different shoes for different types of workouts?  I've seen more than a few discussions and comments about rotating through different pairs of shoes in general and sometimes using the pair that fits right that day, but I've not seen as much on choosing based on the workout.  For instance, is there a benefit to using one kind of shoe for easy/long runs, perhaps one with more support, and using a lighter shoe for speed work, especially on a track?

IMO yes. Sometimes its nice to have a higher cushioned shoe for easy recovery runs. Any kind of speed work is always done in a lighter shoe for me. Longer tempos in the 1400V5s and Intervals in either that shoe or FastTwitch which is even lighter. I would never do any quality work in my heavy trainers. 

I've seen shoes recommended for race distances (e.g. 5k vs. half marathon) - would the 5k shoes be good for speed work days even while training for a marathon?

Absolutely. 

Or am I better off with my feet being accustomed to one kind of shoe even if I rotate through brands/models?

I think another reason to rotate shoes is just to change up the stress that your putting on your feet every day. Just have to see what works for you. Can always pick up a lighter/faster shoe and try some speed work in it and see how you like it. 

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I really liked having 4-5 pairs of different shoes in my rotation.  I figured my feet got pounded/strained in a different area/a little differently with every shoe type.  Some were a little lighter, some a little plusher.  Also, they had plenty of time to dry before I wore them again.

When I found out about my toe issue, I had to change everything. I went from forefoot to heelstriking, very minimalist shoes to Hokas, and added a carbon fiber insole in my left shoe.  I don't like switching the carbon fiber out every run; once I get it comfortably situated, I leave it alone.   I just wear the same pair every run now, and will until they are worn out.  I did buy a shoe dryer, and it's awesome.  It really helps with the stank as well.

Runner with a riding problem.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if you intend to race in racing shoes, you really should be doing some workouts in a similar shoe so that your body is adapted to the different stress put on it by a minimal shoe. Doing workouts in a shoe that is lighter and less cushioned than a trainer, but still more shoe than a racing flat, provides a nice bridge for making the adaptation.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn