Beginners and Beyond

Spring SaturDAILIES (Read 24 times)

LRB

LRB - it makes sense to me. I've had a hard time being motivated to do more the past year with races cancelled and my body continuing to act up. I do need to run though, partly so I can continue to eat like a longshoreman, but mostly for mental health. As frustrating as running can be sometimes, it is better for me than doing nothing.

It looked like spring today (sunny and low 50s) except for the lack of leaves on the trees. I did see crocus and daffodils in several yards. I ran 12.5 easy miles. It was actually a good run.

I spoke with my coworker regarding the vaccine. They drove to somewhere called McKeen (SP?) PA. They went back for his second shot today, it was sponsored by a supermarket and given at a church...something parish or another. She said the distribution there is "jacked to all hell", as apparently there are two major metropolises (Pitt and Philly), another not as major metropolis (Harrisburg) and the rest rural, each with their own rules.

She said you have to be relentless, something I'd heard from people who had scored an appointment here. At one point I was on two computers with multiple tabs open and my cell and still couldn't get an appointment through my county's website, so I don't know how much more relentless I could've been!

Anyway, she's one of those people who just has that touch. Indeed, she's helped multiple people secure appointments on a Facebook page for seniors and offered to help you as well. I'll PM you her info if you'd like.

LRB

LRB - I feel a lot of your post and feel bad re: the other part (race relations/idiots) 

Cyberic- solid LR workout!

DaveP - yay on scoring a vax appointment. That has to feel good.

I ran 10

It is what it is. I'm an ESTP, so while in theory I suppose I could be overreacting, I'm not someone who relies on emotions for decision making, I sense things. And my senses told me running during the heat of all of that nonsense just wasn't a good idea! Hopefully things calm down but if 45 announces another run at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, I might be stuck on that boring ass trail for a while yet as the tension will just ramp right back up!

LRB

All makes sense.

I also would be ok with never racing again as my remaining goal(s) are not necessarily finishing times. Sure it would be nice to beat my PRs again, but I'm ok with them.

I'm lucky that my running has purpose, as it is keeping me healthy. I enjoy the feeling of getting a run in first thing in the morning, and I also enjoyed the sense of purpose that run commuting gave to my running.

I have almost completely stopped to look at pace when I'm training. If I look at a metric, it will usually be HR. If I get slower by doing that, so be it. But I do not enjoy the feeling of going for pace all the time in training. I essentially run by effort, and look at my pace afterwards. For some reason, that makes a big difference for me.

By doing what I like and not doing what I don't like, I run consistently, and the rest is bonus.

I will enjoy training for a marathon again this summer, but I will cut down on the amount of training sessions and try that. Usually I get sick of marathon training way before the taper, and maybe by doing less, the pleasure will stay all the way through.

Hopefully races start again and you can find some mojo back.

You're doing great! I've actually substituted a lot of my time with resistance training during this lolly gagging period and am happy with the results, so no real downside as of now. I started back in September and have come a long way. We'll see what this summer brings...

sdWhiskers

I do not enjoy the feeling of going for pace all the time in training. I essentially run by effort, and look at my pace afterwards. For some reason, that makes a big difference for me.

By doing what I like and not doing what I don't like, I run consistently, and the rest is bonus.

This is me too. I add in a quicker workout once per week and make it about 3 weeks until I think "this isn't fun" then run easy for a few weeks. Repeat.

sdWhiskers

It is what it is. I'm an ESTP, so while in theory I suppose I could be overreacting, I'm not someone who relies on emotions for decision making, I sense things. And my senses told me running during the heat of all of that nonsense just wasn't a good idea! Hopefully things calm down but if 45 announces another run at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, I might be stuck on that boring ass trail for a while yet as the tension will just ramp right back up!

I'm sorry you don't feel safe while running 

Docket_Rocket

May that fucker never thinks of running for office at all.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I ran/walked 2 with hubby and lifted. The knee will tell the tale tomorrow. If Ok, I’ll run 3 tomorrow.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Ginny, are you looking for a place to get the vaccine? It seems like the Martins in Hagerstown has a good amount. Both my parents got appointments, my mom asked the pharmacist at my dad's appointment if they had "extras" for my brother (not elgible until the last phase) and they put him on a list and then called about 2 days later. Not sure if this will be changing now that MD opened up registration to more people.

GinnyinPA

I'm not eligible yet and won't be for quite a while under the current rules. I'm 64 and group 1A is 65 and up. 1B and 1C are people who work with the public, I don't. I am healthy so I get to wait until everyone who works is vaccinated. I haven't talked recently to the 75 year old friends who are in group 1A and couldn't get a vaccine.  Hopefully they figured out something. I'll suggest Hagerstown when next I see them, though I'm not sure MD allows people to cross the border to get it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm not eligible yet and won't be for quite a while under the current rules. I'm 64 and group 1A is 65 and up. 1B and 1C are people who work with the public, I don't. I am healthy so I get to wait until everyone who works is vaccinated. I haven't talked recently to the 75 year old friends who are in group 1A and couldn't get a vaccine.  Hopefully they figured out something. I'll suggest Hagerstown when next I see them, though I'm not sure MD allows people to cross the border to get it.

It looks like you can if you are eligible:

While we are not turning anyone away (if eligible), we are certainly prioritizing Maryland residents for vaccine administration. Any individual may receive a vaccine at any time, provided that their priority group has been identified as eligible and an appointment is available at a vaccine clinic. A COVID-19 vaccine administration site may establish additional appointment requirements or other restrictions necessary for the management of individuals and administration of the vaccine.

Phase 2 starts at some point next week and is 60+.

From what I've read, it sounds like the pharmacy sites take your word for how you are eligible and aren't turning people away.