Beginners and Beyond

The Aftermath MonDAILIES (Read 45 times)

Cyberic

Okay so fall of 2013 I had 8 consecutive plus 4 consecutive with 1 week at 50 in between... but I also tried to do too much and that was actually one of my worst (relative) marathons. Actually, I think I was too focused on the mpw number

My worse marathon was Boston. The one for which I ran the most in preparation, by a lot. Conclusion?

Half Crazy K 2.0

My worse marathon was Boston. The one for which I ran the most in preparation, by a lot. Conclusion?

It was hot that day after a cold spring, so no chance to acclimate.

onemile

It was hot that day after a cold spring, so no chance to acclimate.

Cyberic

I know. I actually believe that more mpw is better, as long as you feel good all cycle.

IF I killed my marathon in training, and it is an "if", it was during my last long run. I think I made it a 21 miler, with 14 miles at MP, and an total avg pace faster than BQ. None of my subsequent workouts in the cycle went well.

But I felt strong on M day.

Okay so fall of 2013 I had 8 consecutive 

9 for me 

That was fall 2015. Did not do a tuneup half for that one - those tend to break the streak due to mini-taper. I had two other streaks of 7.

Haven't really seen any correlation. If anything, my average mpw has very slightly declined the last few cycles. But I assume the continued, accumulated mileage is doing its job. I have also had some pretty lengthy stretches of 50+, I will have to check into that one.

By the way, did I mention I BQ'd yesterday? That feels weird to say.

Dave

Hip Redux

FWIW, Mr. O ran his 3:08 on an average of ~40-45mpw and running ~4 days a week.   But with a total training load (swimming, biking) around 8-11 hrs/week.    He tried to ramp up miles for his first few marathons and had several frustrating races (with crappy weather to boot), but ended up with huge PRs once he changed up his training.    Just straight more miles isn't always the answer and sometimes it helps to have a wife who tells you to try something different. :P

sometimes it helps to have a wife who tells you to try something different. :P

I have that. Not necessarily anything to do with running.

Dave

Hip Redux

I have that. Not necessarily anything to do with running.

I don't know your wife, but I know she's likely always right. :P

I don't know your wife, but I know she's likely always right. :P

Hey! Sounds like you do know her!

Dave

Cyberic

9 for me 

That was fall 2015. Did not do a tuneup half for that one - those tend to break the streak due to mini-taper. I had two other streaks of 7.

Haven't really seen any correlation. If anything, my average mpw has very slightly declined the last few cycles. But I assume the continued, accumulated mileage is doing its job. I have also had some pretty lengthy stretches of 50+, I will have to check into that one.

By the way, did I mention I BQ'd yesterday? That feels weird to say.

You win Dave!

I think you need to say it more, because truth must be told!

Docket_Rocket

Dave is excited!  We all are for you!  You should put it on your picture comment or on the siggy:  I BQd this weekend!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Too many damn posts, and I am too tired to read through them so I'll just post my 6.2 miles on here. Jetta was trying for a break-neck pace while Rocky was trying to play like an anchor dragging on the ocean floor .... all while I was also pushing Dorian in the stroller 

After 5 miles, I hooked Rocky's leash to Jetta's harness.... she wasn't happy at all and kept looking back at him like "WTF???"... haha now you know how I feel 

Chowing down on corn beef hash and scrambled eggs, then I'm going to soak in the tub.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

workinprogress11

Someone said something a gazillion posts back about mental toughness only coming into play when the race goes bad. This is true for me. The Disney marathon I ran as part of the Dopey challenge a couple of years ago was a train wreck and I was seconds away from saying FTS at mile 8.  I literally stopped running for about 5 minutes. I regrouped, though, and decided since my daughter was there and I wasn't injured, only exhausted (mandatory work commitments had me getting about 3 hours of sleep a night before each Dopey race) that I needed to show my daughter that quitting wasn't an option no matter how long it took me to finish.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that that was the last marathon I ran, haha.

3 miles today. Work commitments again left me no time to do more.

Ric-G

6.5 miles this evening...

marathon pr - 3:16