Beginners and Beyond

To Infinity And Beyond Sunday Penguins! (and then a little further!) (Read 212 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Awood: I went out this morning and did 7 at an 8:31 pace. The first mile was torture; my head was literally throbbing with every step! I was thinking "Why did I listen to Awood?! I should be in my warm bed!" No vomit or dry heaves, however, so that was nice. It turned out to be a nice run.

Doc: Nice double! I can never bring myself to do one. Thinking about it is bad enough.

Jerry: Will you be sporting the tights? It is in the upper 50s today so no tights for me.

She Can: I feel your pain. We also have wrapping to do. After that, nap time.

Docket: Sorry to hear about the knee. Rest is good!

Bin: Good luck with the training. I will be doing the Ryan Hall plan in February for a HM in April.

Kristin: If that is an ugly sweater, you make it look great. Smile

Zel: You will be fine and it good to go at a slow pace. The slower you go now the faster you will go later.  Also, I would LOVE to try a Rolo cookie!

Happy Christmas!

Hey guys!! Mileage PR at 8 this morning!!! 1:32:44, slow but I did it! This stupid phone and autocorrect! it never gets anything right!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Zelanie

The Rolo cookies are so easy it's pretty much cheating.  I never use mixes for anything except these.  You just take one box of devil's food cake mix, 1/3 cup oil, and 2 eggs and mix them together.  Then you wrap the dough around an unwrapped Rolo using just enough to barely cover the candy.  They bake at 350 for seven minutes, dust with powdered sugar, and that's it.  And they are better than a lot of the cookies made from scratch.

I have high hopes for the thumbprints, though.  I'm making a ganache filling, and I think I'll roll a few of them in toffee bits.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - mmmmm.....cookies!!!  I made popcorn balls yesterday, and I think I need to make more.

Jack - Doesn't that beat laying on the couch all day, and just praying it will go away?

Kristi - Heck yeah!!!  8 miles is a great distance.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

great job Kristi!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Kristi, congrats on hitting the Big 8.

Zelanie, cookies(any) are a big weakness of mine. DW bought me one of those little Xmas tins of the Danish Butter cookies, I ate the whole darn thing in one sitting. I really need to learn to control myself with that, bc I would like to lose another 10 lbs by the end of January.

Is it okay to take a nap on RD's? Roll eyes

Philliefan33

Howdy penguins. No time for personals, my guests have started showing up. I'll have a full house between now and Wdenesday. I'm planning on getting my runs in, if only for sanity's sake.

I do have news..I ran my first 10K this morning. It was a small race at Tyler State Park, hosted by a local running club. It turns out that I misjudged my fitness a little....going into the race I thought under 1:10 was likely, and under 1:05 would be really good.  I finished in 1:02:37!  The course was very hilly, which made it hard for me to settle in to a pace (I can tell by the splits where the hills were...I was slow up the hills and flying down the hills).  Ift was a lot of fun-- thanks everyone for encouraging me to give it a try!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Howdy penguins. No time for personals, my guests have started showing up. I'll have a full house between now and Wdenesday. I'm planning on getting my runs in, if only for sanity's sake.

I do have news..I ran my first 10K this morning. It was a small race at Tyler State Park, hosted by a local running club. It turns out that I misjudged my fitness a little....going into the race I thought under 1:10 was likely, and under 1:05 would be really good.  I finished in 1:02:37!  The course was very hilly, which made it hard for me to settle in to a pace (I can tell by the splits where the hills were...I was slow up the hills and flying down the hills).  Ift was a lot of fun-- thanks everyone for encouraging me to give it a try!

YAY!!!!! Congrats!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SheCan

Congratulations to you, Kristi for your 8 miles PR.  Yes you can do it!

Philiefan Congratulations to you!  How exciting to break your expectations like that, and get such a fast 1st time 10k time.  That's awesome.

Kristin, that picture is freaking adorable!   Glad you enjoyed the eggnog!

hog4life- you sound like me with cookies.  I'm always having to work on that last 10 lbs that I keep putting on with over indulgence.

Got my 7 miles in for the day and now can focus on the rest of my chores.  Take care everyone and enjoy your holiday baking!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Philliefan: Well done!!

Awood: Yes, I will go for a run in that condition anytime! It turned out to be good advice. Now that shopping is done, DW and I have to get rid of the kids, do the wrapping and THEN lay on the couch all day. Smile

Docket_Rocket

Thanks, guys.  Knee feels much better today.

I have pictures.  Want to see them?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks, guys.  Knee feels much better today.

I have pictures.  Want to see them?

Of course we do.

AFM - I just posted this in the other thread about my knee, but...

So, I took a rest day.  Decided that I didn't feel anything in my knee today, and thought I'd test it out.  I really toyed with the idea of two rest days in a row.  Then, I decided that I'd just take a short run, and reduce my mileage for the rest of the week before I start really training for my spring half.

Today's run went well.  The extra rest, and a new pair of shoes put a bit of pep in my step.  I wasn't really tracking my pace, but it turned out I was about a minute faster than my easy pace.  I should probably ease up a bit on my next run, but it felt so good.  The only time I felt the knee was when I turned to look over my shoulder and check for traffic.  So, I guess it isn't 100%, but that's the only time I really felt anything.  I think the mileage cutback will take care of the rest, but I will be mindful that it's okay to take a rest day if needed.  3.34 miles at 9:27 mm.

Mitch - I ran in the Brooks today.  They feel more solid than my Asics Gel Foundation 10's, but lighter.  They're very responsive if that makes any sense.  They have good traction, and transfer a lot of energy to the pavement.  Having a bit stiffer sole, I may opt to keep them away from my long runs.  Time will tell though.  While they seem to have less cushion, I don't feel like I took a lot of impact.  I know that sounds weird, but it's true.

I'll run in the Saucony's tomorrow, and let you know what I think.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

OK.  If it grosses you out, blame awood.

Yesterday (post race):

You can see how swollen it was.

Today (right side):

Rainbow of colors!

The left side.  This is the one that worries me.  It hurts still but I just hope it's only a bruise:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kitteh

Oh man D! When I first saw the right side I though "hey, that doesn't look so bad!" and then I saw the picture of the left side. Gnarly, I'm sending healing vibes your way!

(I'll come back to do more personals in a minute, but I've gotta make this quick now because my 3 yr old is demanding my attention)

So, I was hoping to do 4 miles yesterday and put it off for too long, and then it started raining and I wimped out. So instead of 22 miles for the week I only got in 18 Undecided

So I was hoping to do 11 miles today, shifting my long run back to Sunday like it usually is. I was a little concerned about the fact that it'd only been 3 days since my last 10 miler, but my legs felt fine and the weather was perfect for running--58 and partly cloudy with a light breeze--so I went for it. Unfortunately my Garmin screen is still broken so it's kind of like running naked and though I thought I'd done 11 miles it turns out I only did 10.26. So that was kind of disappointing. I knew I felt way too good at the end! My splits are kind of all over the place, but the average was an 11:45 pace which is quicker than I thought I was doing.

Also, I ran here today

Running for two!

Pre-Preggo PRs--5k 23:00, 10k 49:07, HM 1:57:40

Post-Preggo PRs--5k TBD, 10k 54:45, HM 2:28:05

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Damaris - ouch! That looks pretty bad. Hope it feels better than it looks.

Phillie - nice job on the 10k!

Hey Doc - good job on the double, they rock!

Bin - good luck on your training plan tomorrow.

Awood - good luck with the shoes, take it easy on that knee.

SheCan -coffee,running, and wrapping - sounds like a plan!

Kristin - sounds like the sweater party went well. Now follow Awood' s advice and run off the eggnog - I guess running evaporates the alcohol!

Zelanie - I am also known as the Cookie Monster in my house!

Jack - nice pace on the 7!

Kristi - nice job on the 8 mile PR! Those personal achievements are so sweet!

Kitteh - wow, nice run on the beach!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!