Beginners and Beyond

Hey Wednesday Penguins, It's Boxing Day Already? (Read 214 times)

Snickers1230

I took a weekish hiatus from running and the forums for the holidays.  it feels good to be back!  I was going to get back into things and run on my lunch break.  But my manager had to be nice and take everyone out to lunch.  my MIL is still in town and supposed to meet her and DH for dinner.  So I'm planning on going to the gym after dinner.  I need to run off these Christmas cookies!

Tori, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.  I'm glad he is physically okay and that he's responding well to counseling.  I hope things gets better for him

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

You'll be able to soon!  Are you going to the doctor?

I haven't been to the doctor because I figured I'd try the obvious solution first, and give it some rest.  My doctor knows me too well.  If I go in to see him, he'll make some assumptions from the moment I walk in the door.  He's well justified in doing so, because of my history with sports injuries. He's used to the younger, and dumber me that would wait for something to fall off and tell him "it doesn't really hurt, but I can't lift my arm from my side", or the guy who argued about wrestling with pneumonia until he said, "I'll make you a deal.  If you can get out of bed in the morning, go ahead and wrestle".  I went to the school as soon I could sneak out of the house, and slept near the scales.

Anyway, because of my history, he'd order an MRI as soon as I walked in.  He'll just assume it's worse than I say it is, and that I won't listen unless he can show me how terribly bad it is.  I'm older and more mature now.  I get a dull ache in my knee, and decide to take a day off.  Two days after my break, it comes back and I decide to try a week off.  Now, if that doesn't work I'll consider seeing the doctor.  I'd like to be able to tell him that I actually did something smart for once though...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

Back from the doctor - he said it's just shin splints Big grin So, as is my usual MO, I panicked over nothing. I start physical therapy on Thursday next week and will continue resting until then because I don't want to try to come back too soon (again) and have them flare up (again). A couple weeks off mid-winter won't kill me. Now a celebratory martini is in order!

Snickers1230

Back from the doctor - he said it's just shin splints Big grin So, as is my usual MO, I panicked over nothing. I start physical therapy on Thursday next week and will continue resting until then because I don't want to try to come back too soon (again) and have them flare up (again). A couple weeks off mid-winter won't kill me. Now a celebratory martini is in order!

Glad it's nothing serious!  Take it easy and I hope they don't come back!

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Philliefan33

Wow, I'm really late to the party today.  Sorry I don't have the patience to do personals for everyone...

Tori -- I'm very sorry for the situation with your father.  Hopefully he will respond to the help he is getting and come out stronger.

Lauren -- Hooray for shin splints.  That sounds odd...but shin splints are better than a stress fracture.  Ice and stretching, ice and stretching.

Kristen -- May I humbly suggest that you leave your new Garmin on the "distance" screen and not worry about your pace?  Just run however fast or slow you feel like on any given day, then check the pace data when you get home.  I started to enjoy my runs much more when I stopped looking at my pace...lo and behold I'm running faster now than I did a couple of months ago.  I do occasionally glance at my pace during a run, but my "rule" is that if I look at my pace, the only adjustment I am allowed to make in response is to slow down.   I'm not allowed to go faster based on what I see on my wrist.  It's kept me from trying to meet some arbitrary idea of how my training is "supposed" to be progressing.

I"m on vacation until January 2nd.  Unfortunately I've been doing a lot of jaw exercises and I'll be paying for it later.  I did get a 6-miler done today, sort of slow because my calfs were tight for the first three miles.  Tomorrow I hope to do a ~10 mile LR if the weather cooperates.

Docket_Rocket

I'm not going to say I told you so...except I just did.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Philliefan: I am even later than you...

We were out all day shopping and returning. I ended up with two pairs of sunglasses from REI (thanks mom and dad).  I just did a nice 7 miles at an 8:31 pace.  Feeling good!!!

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

Just a quick hello, I'm on my iPad, so typing is a pain.

Had a good Christmas, got my FR10, went for a run with it yesterday and it rocks.

Hope everyone is doing great!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 miles indoors with dw.  Felt good for indoors.  Haven't unpacked the Garmin yet.  My technical skills are a little spent  getting used to the Mini iPad.

Downloaded first itune...TGIF...TGIF...TGIF...TGIF...TGIF....

From the Internet.

I'm not going to say I told you so...except I just did.

You can say it all you want, I don't even mind!