Beginners and Beyond

It Ain't Easy When Everyone's Trying to Get Through These MONDAILIES (Read 38 times)

Hey, sorry I brought it up. Fuzzy thought it was worth mentioning over in the other forum (RW). I guess I'll just shut up from here on. BTW, it was only about two weeks ago that Jay asked about the incline on a TM and he got a few 1% answers just from our little group here.

I just assumed the matter of whether the treadmill is more or less the same as road running was settled. I guess it is always going to come up, because it can seem a bit counterintuitive. But I thought most of the experienced runners come down on the same side.

The 1% I will agree with you is a subject of dispute. My take is that it is just a matter of personal preference, it works for some people but not for others.

Full disclosure - I didn't actually read your link. Guess I better go do it now. 

Dave

Hip Redux

Could it be because it's like 100* outside, Damaris? Mayyyyybe?  I have a very scientific solution to your problem if it feels too easy on the TM: CRANK IT UP!!!

But don't touch the incline!!

constantly making up songs full of bathroom humor and rude words)

Good luck, Step... my supervisor is 35 years old and still does that, lol.   

StepbyStep-SH

Good luck, Step... my supervisor is 35 years old and still does that, lol.   

I understand that it may just be a "guy thing," but I hope he will soon learn there is a time and place - and that the time and place are NEVER when your mom is in the same room.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks so much for the support everyone, I hope you're all correct, guess we'll find out in six weeks! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dave, which marathon will you do in six weeks?

I understand that it may just be a "guy thing," but I hope he will soon learn there is a time and place - and that the time and place are NEVER when your mom is in the same room.

Don't worry, he will soon reach the age when he just completely avoids ever being in the same room as his mom....

Dave

Mmmmm...beer

Dave, which marathon will you do in six weeks?

Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach on 3/16. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach on 3/16. Smile

You still have six weeks?  Plenty of time to get even faster!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SIAR - glad you're recovering

Kristin - Sad, still praying for her

D^2 - Ouch, tough call.  Maybe run the first 18-20 miles just fast enough to set yourself up for success, and then go for it if you feel that the BQ is within reach.   I have no doubt that you will turn in some excellent marathons in the future, well under the Boston cutoff.

Ended up doing fartlek stuff tonight, going fast when and where there was room on the track, and some "hills" on the TM.  The gym was *packed*.  Odd for a Monday, I guess people were attempting to work off their Super Bowl indiscretions?

StepbyStep-SH

Don't worry, he will soon reach the age when he just completely avoids ever being in the same room as his mom....

I know - I shouldn't wish time away. But there are only so many times I can listen to Christmas carols or patriotic songs (his music of choice) in which half the words have been replaced by "butt, fart, stink, pants, poop, or (something)head".

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

SIAR - glad you're recovering

Kristin - Sad, still praying for her

D^2 - Ouch, tough call.  Maybe run the first 18-20 miles just fast enough to set yourself up for success, and then go for it if you feel that the BQ is within reach.   I have no doubt that you will turn in some excellent marathons in the future, well under the Boston cutoff.

Ended up doing fartlek stuff tonight, going fast when and where there was room on the track, and some "hills" on the TM.  The gym was *packed*.  Odd for a Monday, I guess people were attempting to work off their Super Bowl indiscretions?

Most likely.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I bet your are as smooth as silk too, not the ninja chopping, karate kid kicker I am when trying to do laps.  lol

Hell, LRB, at leas you 'regular' swim.  It takes me FOREVER to do laps with my dog-paddling!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt