Beginners and Beyond

Taking "Prude" to a New Level (Read 236 times)

RSX

Level 3.

And I outraged that in a country on the other side of the planet, a church that I never heard of ending a working relationship with an athlete that I never heard of.  This kind of stuff just ruins my day.

I admired her work when I saw it on MSN the other day, and read 1 of the other articles. In it was a link to an ad that she did for Jesus. I don't have a problem with their decision.

Will run for scenery.

I was at the bookstore yesterday and happened to see that issue on the rack.  So I picked it up and started leafing through.

I must be getting old.  After a couple of pages I decided I'd much rather see people with their clothes on.  When I flipped the page and saw Gary Player, I had a PGD moment : "Just walk away...."

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

SheCan

I must be getting old.  After a couple of pages I decided I'd much rather see people with their clothes on.  

*raises hand*  yeah, I'm old, too, and as you can see in my tag line, I'm not a fan of seeing everyone nekkid.

BUT, that said, I still have a hard time believing that an omnipotent, all knowing, God who created everything in the universe would care that much about what we are, or are not wearing.  Does he have a tape measure measuring the length of skirts, or measuring how much boob-age is showing?  This is not meant to demean anyone's religion, or beliefs.  I just personally don't get it.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

LRB

Does he have a tape measure measuring the length of skirts, or measuring how much boob-age is showing? 

I think what is or is not considered decent or acceptable is determined by an individual and highly subjective, and therein lies the quandary with these things.

You can find ten people in any gathering who couldn't care less about ESPN's The Body issue, and ten at the same gathering who find it in poor taste.

happylily

Yes, LRB, you're right. We all have different standards of what is acceptable or what is in poor taste.

If I understand correctly, many Muslims object to a woman showing her hair in public. Female hair equals temptation. So a Muslim woman (not all, but some) must cover herself to be considered decent. On the other hand, I grew up in a household with two parents who walked around in their skimpy underwear until the day I left home at 18. There is very little that shocks me and I don't consider nudity the same as sexuality. One can be entirely dressed and still be very sexual in the way he/she stands or acts. Plus, my church, the church of Jesus likes me even in a bikini, says nudity is ok. So there.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

We all have different standards of what is acceptable or what is in poor taste.

There is very little that shocks me and I don't consider nudity the same as sexuality.

Yes.  Context is important.

I've found myself checking out certain girls at races *without* thinking sexual things, but just because they're so athletic.  It's kind of weird to catch yourself admiring someone's body without ulterior motives.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

A modest runner:

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

I think what is or is not considered decent or acceptable is determined by an individual and highly subjective, and therein lies the quandary with these things.

This is a fascinating statement and an entirely accurate summary of our culture's postmodern, relativistic worldview at this time in history.  Each individual has determined his or herself to be the ultimate authority in their life regarding morality and standards and everyone is ok with that being the case for everyone else- unless someone else's standard is too different from their own, or somehow infringes on them.  And that's when that viewpoint breaks down- if everyone's standard is fine, then what right has anyone else to say that they're wrong?  And yet, if you get extreme enough, eventually people will agree that they have the right to say that someone does not have the right to do certain things.  Where is that line?  Hard to say, since no one agrees on it.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

RSX

Yes.  Context is important.

I've found myself checking out certain girls at races *without* thinking sexual things, but just because they're so athletic.  It's kind of weird to catch yourself admiring someone's body without ulterior motives.

Is that like going to a gentlemen's club and picturing them with clothes?

Zelanie

"Oh my god, check out the hamstrings on that girl!" Joking

LRB

Each individual has determined his or herself to be the ultimate authority in their life regarding morality and standards and everyone is ok with that being the case for everyone else- unless someone else's standard is too different from their own, or somehow infringes on them. 

Correct.  In some cases as lily pointed out, it can be based on how a person was raised, which affects their opinion on things.  In others, it could be a traumatic event that  occurred, which goes to how they feel.  And still in others, someone may have overcome a hardship in their life, and therefore place more importance on other things, which shapes their perspective.

You try to respect a persons opinion, how they feel or their perspective on a given subject, but it gets difficult when they are frothing at the mouth over something you care little about, or show indifference towards something you care greatly about.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

This is the internet.  I might be naked right now.  You don't know.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Is that like going to a gentlemen's club and picturing them with clothes?

I don't know, I've never been to one where the girls would be better off clothed Wink

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Each individual has determined his or herself to be the ultimate authority in their life regarding morality and standards and everyone is ok with that being the case for everyone else-

So beauty is in the I of the beholder?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Will run for scenery.

This is the internet.  I might be naked right now.  You don't know.

OTOH, This is the internet.  Maybe we do know. Wink

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!