Beginners and Beyond

Week 23 Penguins still have their VCR's!! (06/06-06/12) (Read 5 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Oops, I kind of forgot about the Penguin thread this weekend!!  I didn't do much computer work at all this weekend, to be honest.  I did a song analysis for quartet, and that was pretty much it.  I did play video games with DH, though.

The party was fun -- good food, and an impromptu bluegrass concert.  I definitely learned things about my coworkers and their spouses!  I'll know things for next time -- bring our own bottled water or other non-alcoholic beverages, and maybe a roll of paper towels.  It wasn't highly organized, but it was a good time.

Now I'm trying to hunt down shelf tags for a refrigerator.  I might've found something that will work on ULine -- I need to go back and measure my shelf ends, but I'm open to other options.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Forgot to mention, today is VCR Day.  So pull out those tapes, and be kind, rewind!!

Docket_Rocket

Hi! What is a VCR? 

I ran 6 on the TM and did some weights after work.

HopesMom, glad you had fun at the party!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

I use the vcr in the basement. Still have a lot of tapes but I don't watch them much. I don't have a lot of dvds. Mostly I watch trail or exercise videos.

HM - I'm glad you had fun at the party. Is this likely to be a busy week?

Today was a running rest day, so we ran lots of errands, then I came home and mowed. It was miserable - 91 when I started with a dew point in the 70s, but the grass I planted was getting ridiculously long, and I wanted to do something about it. I knew it was going to be a PITA, so I wanted to do it on a rest day so I wouldn't be completely wiped out afterwards. I still was, since the heat got to me, even at the slow pace I was moving.

Singer who runs a smidge

No busier than normal, which is nice.  I don't have extra meetings or anything.  Next week will have two training days and a new hire starting, so it'll be busier.  I guess this week is the calm before the storm!

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 8 with 3 X 1 mile @ HMP on the TM at some point. Didn't sleep well last night, sigh.

Ginny, I think we still had a VCR in Miami but we didn't use it anymore. We switched to BlueRay a few years ago and we have tons of those. Having said that, I watch the movies on the premium channels most of the time instead as it's faster to tune in than putting a DVD while getting my run on the TM. Hope you rested a bit.

HopesMom, glad you are not busier than normal. Things are pretty dead in bankruptcy thanks to the CARES Act.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

We bought a Blu-Ray a couple of years ago, I think, and I think we have two actual Blu-Ray disks.  We don't have a lot of movies on DVD, though, although I'm not sure what you'd think of as "a lot".  We have the whole Harry Potter series, and the three Matrix movies, and then a bunch of mish-mash stuff.  We don't watch them often either, we usually pick something on Netflix or Amazon.  The more comical part is our teeny 23" TV, but we don't really have room for anything larger, and don't really feel the need for it either.

I think our first in-person post-pandemic chorus rehearsal tomorrow is going to get rained out.  It's like 80% chance of rain today, 90% tomorrow.  Sigh.

Singer who runs a smidge

We were able to have chorus rehearsal, woo-hoo!!  I very much enjoyed actually being able to sing together, and we sounded pretty good for having been apart for 15 months.  One of our members turned to me and said, "I remember at that last rehearsal I said something about this is all going to be over in a few weeks, and you just sat there and shook your head."  Too bad I turned out to be right!  But at least we're back together, although I hope the Management Team's mask requirement even for vaccinated folks goes quickly out the window.  I also discovered that because I'm on my feet so much more with this job, standing for a 1.5 hour rehearsal leaves me exhausted!  I've pretty much gotten to where my actual workday isn't so tiring, so hopefully I will continue to build additional stamina for chorus.

Docket_Rocket

Yay for having the rehearsal! I bet everybody was happy.

I am off today and have a long ass massage this afternoon. I will run 4 tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - I'm glad you had fun at chorus. My dad had the issue of standing when he was a member of the King's Men, a male choir in Houston. His back was so bad eventually he couldn't stand for rehearsals and performances. He really hated leaving the group.

D - I think I would run before the massage, just so I could enjoy several hours of complete relaxation.

Rainy day here. I have a short run in mind, if it ever stops.

Docket_Rocket

Sadly I didn’t have time. I have been running errands since I woke up.

Hope the rain stops for your run.

Damaris

Fundraising Page