Beginners and Beyond

Who Wears out Shoes More? (Read 60 times)

Hip Redux

From Mizuno:

Shoe rotation. If you run more than once a day or do a second workout in the gym, you’ll need an additional pair of shoes. But, if you run once a day, it isn’t necessary to rotate two pair of shoes by “resting” one pair. There’s nothing wrong with doing so, but it won’t extend the life of either shoe as the limiting factor is usage (i.e., mileage).

Docket_Rocket

Interesting. All other articles I have found say the opposite.

They do claim in that article that heavier people wear shoes faster than those that are not.  And of course, they say if you buy Mizunos they will last longer than others. LOL.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Still on the phone so I cannot link to the Mizuno article I am reading (not sure if it's the same one you posted).

ETA: same article.  Runningwarehouse and runnersworld disagree with Mizuno, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

More importantly, who wears out tendons/ligaments/joints/muscles/bones more with bad mechanics?  #devilsadvocate

Need a new poll for this, since I don't see my name in the choices.

Dave

Cyberic

There are a lot of articles about how rotating shoes extend their life vs using the same shoe every day.  I cannot link them right now from the phone though.

I know Damaris, I've read many also. What I think is that they are written by runners who have read or heard the same thing. It is of course pure speculation of my part as I'm no engineer and barely a runner, but it doesn't make sense to me that a foamy material will take days to come back to its state.

There are also many many articles that say that running is bad for your knees and joints, and I don't believe that either.

Hip Redux

Another one from Outside Magazine.  Wear and tear is mileage based, I really don't see how it could be otherwise.  Even if the EVA decompresses, it's not going to heal from the running done.

“Even with new advancements in running shoe technology like different types of EVA foam, shoes have memory, and they get compressed,” Clemens says. “If you can take them off and put on a different pair of shoes, it’ll give your shoes the maximum amount of time to decompress.” And you want the midsoles to decompress so they’ll provide the best, most even cushioning and protection, because patchy cushioning and reduced shock absorption can lead to injury.

“It’s not like the shoes actually last longer,” Clemens says. “They’re still only good for four to five hundred miles.”

And another from RW.   There was another article on RW that said if you didn't dry out your shoes between runs, the bacteria would break down the shoes faster.   What the hell kind of foot fungus do you people have? lol

Though I do rotate my shoes, just not for the longevity reason.

Though I do rotate my shoes, just not for the longevity reason.

Just to match your outfits, right?

Dave

Hip Redux

Just to match your outfits, right?

Hey, if you can't run fast, you might as well look good. 

I rotate mostly based on what sort of run I want to do and/or terrain.

tracilynn

Jay Dicharry of Anatomy for runners says rotation doesn't extend the life of shoes.

I was surprised when I read that because everything you hear says to rotate shoes.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jay Dicharry of Anatomy for runners says rotation doesn't extend the life of shoes.

I was surprised when I read that because everything you hear says to rotate shoes.

It is more for potential injury prevention than for shoe life.

Dave

B-Plus

Hey, if you can't run fast, you might as well look good. 

I rotate mostly based on what sort of run I want to do and/or terrain.

Patrick Rizzo remains silent on the issue of rotating for prolongation, but this article seems consistent with your reasoning:

http://www.mizunocda.com/running/blog/the-tools-of-transformation-shoe-rotation/

tracilynn

Good article ^^^ makes me wanna go buy more shoes to put in my rotation

~~~~~~~

Traci

Cyberic

Ah! Someone with sound judgement! Of course, anyone who thinks the same as me has sound judgement. That's just the way it is Big grin

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It would make sense to me that a heavier runner will wear out the same shoe faster than a lighter runner.

+1.   The only thing that keeps a fat guy like me from wearing my shoes out faster is that my weekly running mileage is so low, so my shoes tend to last for a pretty fair while.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt