Beginners and Beyond

Knee brace recommendations post meniscus tear (Read 20 times)

ForceD

I tore my meniscus and had it repaired by PRP injections instead of standard surgery. The surgeon says the tear is no longer there, but, like a surgical repair, I will always have some residual pain and weakness. Consequently I need a runners knee brace that provides support and stability. I'm looking for recommendations.

Dan

Running since March 1976

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I run mostly to see things, to explore places I don't know. And the places I do know,...then I get a sense of the weather, the shifting light, the seasonal changes; it can be pleasurable even when you hurl yourself into the teeth of nature." -- Ed Koren, Runner and Cartoonist for New Yorker magazine, 2006 interview for RW magazine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the going gets tough...sprinters quit.

delicate flower

Did the surgeon tell you to get a brace?  I've had my left knee operated on twice (ACL twice, MCL, LCL, multiple meniscus tears, bone fractures).  Surgeon told me not to bother with a brace because it won't do anything except give me a false sense of extra security.  If the knee was fixed correctly, a brace isn't needed. 

<3

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, I had mine operated as well and no brace is needed (nor do I have pain post surgery). Like Phil said, if repaired, there won’t be pain and no brace would be needed. Squats, lunges, and PT are better for the knee to get back to being strong, than a brace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

ForceD

Well...I'd followed the above advice up until now. I didn't really need the strength and conditioning suggested...I've remained very active in other activities and already had it really. But I finally broke down and bought a knee wrap/brace...something about like this Brace and it's a world of difference. I actually ran faster, and was able to go farther before the onset of fatigue in the knee. Dan

Running since March 1976

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I run mostly to see things, to explore places I don't know. And the places I do know,...then I get a sense of the weather, the shifting light, the seasonal changes; it can be pleasurable even when you hurl yourself into the teeth of nature." -- Ed Koren, Runner and Cartoonist for New Yorker magazine, 2006 interview for RW magazine

The road belongs not to the swift, but to those who keep running.

When the going gets tough...sprinters quit.