Beginners and Beyond

NYCMarathon Weekend Penguins (Read 38 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I made my b-goal. Will post more details tomorrow.  Summary though: it wasn't cardio that held me back. My hip started hurting at mile 10. Hard to have pain that early in the race. Once I knew my a goal was toast I got very demoralized but I pulled it together in the end to hit my b goal. I'm eating dinner shortly and then heading back into the city to get a drink with Kristin and others.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ginny, congrats on the PR and AG award.  Those PoP stops are hard to make up.  You will get the 1:59 next time.  Enjoy the apple pie.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I made my b-goal. Will post more details tomorrow.  Summary though: it wasn't cardio that held me back. My hip started hurting at mile 10. Hard to have pain that early in the race. Once I knew my a goal was toast I got very demoralized but I pulled it together in the end to hit my b goal. I'm eating dinner shortly and then heading back into the city to get a drink with Kristin and others.

Congrats, sapf.  Glad you made the B goal.  That was a very gutsy last 16 miles with the hip pain.  Enjoy the post-race celebration.

GinnyinPA

Half Crazy - I thought the race was well run.  It was the same for the marathon.  When you finish, you can instantly get your results via computer which tells you your time and placement (overall, gender and age group).  They do facebook updates as well, but I didn't opt for that.  The awards are quick - no waiting until everyone is done running and then waiting for the results.  The expo is pretty much just pick up your bib and shirt and possibly buy some other race related stuff.  No other vendors. You could pick up your bib on race day too. A lot of people did that. There were good signs to find the expo and the course was well marked with lots of volunteers to make sure you make any turns. Lots of water and Gatorade on the course  (every 2 miles approximately for the first 8 miles then every mile).  Food afterwards was basic but decent:  chocolate milk, sandwiches, bagels, and bananas. Not much crowd support though, if that's important.  Family can meet your at various places and some of the locals sit out on their porches to cheer the runners, but it's sparse.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hi everyone and good luck to the racers. Please post updates!

I finished my half yesterday pushing the stroller with Ainsley's Angels in 2:05:50. We had the sub 2 through 9 miles, then by partner got sick and ended up having a really rough last 4 miles.

Sorry about your partner Mitch, but that's still fast.  How often are the Ainsley's Angels races?