Beginners and Beyond

How much fitness have I lost? (Read 328 times)

Nevrgivup

Hey guys. As I'm gearing up to run again, I was checking in to see what opinions are out there. I've heard that for every two weeks lost it must be doubled to get back to previous running levels. I'm going to start back up after taking eight weeks off. I want to run a 10K in March for St. Patricks day. I will not race it, just run for fun with friends. I was running 30-35 mpw prior to my injury. Do you think I'm being realistic??

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Chairman

Hey guys. As I'm gearing up to run again, I was checking in to see what opinions are out there. I've heard that for every two weeks lost it must be doubled to get back to previous running levels. I'm going to start back up after taking eight weeks off. I want to run a 10K in March for St. Patricks day. I will not race it, just run for fun with friends. I was running 30-35 mpw prior to my injury. Do you think I'm being realistic??

After 8+ weeks off, you are probably going to feel almost like you've never run before. But your fitness will develop faster than when you first started running as a total beginner, and I think hoping to finish a 10k by March is pretty reasonable. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

outoftheblue

You'll be fine and a March 10K sounds very doable.   I'm glad to hear that you are running again!

Life is good.

Buelligan

... your fitness will develop faster than when you first started running as a total beginner...

This has always been my experience.   The human body has an amazing capability for recovery... it's almost amazing to witness sometimes.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

When I took 5 weeks off this summer, I was back to running 50 mile weeks after a month.  I don't recommend this approach.  My fitness came back very, very quickly, but I probably had a bigger base than you.

Running is dumb.

mucknort

After 8+ weeks off, you are probably going to feel almost like you've never run before. But your fitness will develop faster than when you first started running as a total beginner, and I think hoping to finish a 10k by March is pretty reasonable. 

Agree!

Nevrgivup

Thanks guys. I've been a runner a long time and have come back after taking a much longer time. Very optimistic replies. Big grin

xor

What scrape said, but also... the formula "for every x, it'll take y"... this is yet another one of those formula things that some folks love to have around that really probably isn't true at the individual level.

The key is to not get discouraged on the first few runs.  It'll come back... and it'll come back quicker than perhaps you expect.

Also, watch for phantom pain (or, well, real pain) when you start again.  You may feel some stuff; don't freak out.

Nevrgivup

What scrape said, but also... the formula "for every x, it'll take y"... this is yet another one of those formula things that some folks love to have around that really probably isn't true at the individual level.

The key is to not get discouraged on the first few runs.  It'll come back... and it'll come back quicker than perhaps you expect.

Also, watch for phantom pain (or, well, real pain) when you start again.  You may feel some stuff; don't freak out.

Thanks. 

Runshortii

It'll come back. Like others have said it'll probably feel hard the first few runs but it'll come back faster than you think.  When I came back to running after not running or doing any exercise for 2 years, in 4 months I was back to a fitness level that took me over a year to get to when I first started running in 2004.

Wandering Wally

It's going to suck that first week or so.  Stay with it, you'll be feeling great again pretty quickly.  A fun 10K by March sounds very doable.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

SheCan

Good luck to you!   I bet you surprise yourself at how quickly you regain it.  I don't think a March 10k is unreasonable, as long as you continue to be pain free.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

andee1296

In 2005, I missed almost 3 months with a stress fracture, was cleared to run in June, followed Pfitzinger's return to running plan (and yes, I felt like I was starting over and it was really hard at first) and was able to run an annual home town 6 mile race at the end of July - not fast but I did run the whole way. And I wasn't nearly as fit pre-injury as you were. So I think your plan is totally doable. Good luck!

Robert31320

Team TJ

I'll bet you get back to your pre-injury mileage a lot faster than you think.

Running for TJ because he can't.

I took September and the first half of October off.  (I did get a couple of runs in mid-Sept.  But otherwise.)  So about 6 weeks.  My first week back, I ran 18 miles (6 days x 3 miles).  It was fine.  I increased each week until I was back where I started from- took me about a month.  In fact, since it's so handy dandy to check out my log, feel free to take a look.  If you check out Oct. and Nov., you can see how my "comeback" went.  I felt tired out that first month back- not as tired out as I was when I first started running, but more tired than usual- but the runs themselves were fine.  Obviously, that's just me and your experience may be very different.  But that's how it went for me.  Hope things go great for you, too!  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau