Beginners and Beyond

What's this saddle doing here? 5k Race Report (Read 51 times)

I do not miss the Dream Cruise. What a cluster.

Stay positive, you will get back there again!

Sage advice! It is good to see you racing again; hopefully you will get a few more in, and get the old LRB back. He's almost there. Any plans you'd like to share (other than the big one)?

Also: how the hell do you run a race without looking at your watch? I could never do it in a million years.

Dave

LRB

Also: how the hell do you run a race without looking at your watch? I could never do it in a million years.

Well, it began in 2013 with the mile and I mastered it. I have tried it during four or five 5k's but ufortunately, it remains a work in progress.

I have not tried it at anything longer than a 5k, yet.

It all starts with easy runs and speed work, where you essentially play guess the pace.

LRB

Any plans you'd like to share (other than the big one)?

To be honest with you, I would race a 5k tomorrow if I thought I could get away with it!

There is a mile race penciled-in on my calendar but I am not sure I can get off work that day. Racing the mile may not help me physiologically speaking this year, but it may help me mentally (yes, there has been a reoccurring theme with the mental thing).

I have my annual 10k suck-fest at the Arts Beats and Eats in a few weeks, where in years past I have run up to a full minute per mile slower than 10k pace FFS.

I also have a half marathon next month, then will spend October beating my body into submission while training for one of the dumbest fuckin race distances known to mankind.

In the interim, I will continue to focus on speed development rather than endurance because it is easier on my fragile body and I believe it will help me more than getting back to high mileage and eternity runs too quickly.

If I can fit a 5k or two in there somewhere I will be all about it!

music_girl117

I am glad to see you back out there!  You're smart to work on mental training; I think that's a very important and often neglected part of racing.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on getting out there again, and on the AG award.  It takes guts to go out and race when you know you aren't as fast as you were.  As you say, as much a mental test as a physical one.  You may not be where you want to be, but you're still fast and soon will be getting faster.  Stay healthy and you'll be back where you were in no time.

hog4life

Awesome write up!

workinprogress11

I'm so glad you got back out there. I think this was a nice, solid start and you'll only improve from here. I think racing can only help your racing, if that makes any sense. Congratulations!

bluerun

Super B****

Everyone has to start somewhere, no?  Not being totally satisfied with where you are just gives you something to work toward.  Looked like a solid first effort to me!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I am glad to see you back out there!  You're smart to work on mental training; I think that's a very important and often neglected part of racing.

It can get complicated for some if we are not mindful of it. On the other hand, it could be the missing link for others.

Thanks Ginnny, aside from flying off ladders (FFS), staying healthy is as much dumb luck in some instances as anything. Hopefully I stay dumb the rest of the year. lol

Thanks Mitch.

LRB

I think racing can only help your racing, if that makes any sense.

It makes total sense, I did not have that killer instinct yesterday. Hopefully with time it will come.

LRB

Everyone has to start somewhere, no?  Not being totally satisfied with where you are is just a way of life for some people, recognize that you are one of them and embrace that shit yo.  

Here, let me do a little editing on that for ya.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

LRB,

If you can find it, I think there is an article in the latest Running-Times,  page 60 "Never Satisfied".  regarding perfectionism sabotaging your racing.

Just thought of it as I reread the thread.

LRB

LRB,

If you can find it, I think there is an article in the latest Running-Times,  page 60 "Never Satisfied".  regarding perfectionism sabotaging your racing.

Just thought of it as I reread the thread.

I do get RT and will read it.