Beginners and Beyond

It is JUST running... (Read 252 times)

TxDiverMom

I'd say the same as HappyLily...I have time to run and do many things for myself now (at age 51, with grown kids) that I would never have been able to do when they were young.  My hubby did a lot too, but there was always a carpool, a scout meeting, a gymnastics practice (and another practice and another...lots of time there!) or a play date and homework, or a school open house, etc.  Find time to get your exercise when you can, but sometimes we have other things we have to do.

I like what Love the Half said...we are making memories instead...both good and bad.  You'll get back on track.  I'm sure the last couple of weeks have been hard.  It's so difficult to watch them sick!

You've got a great attitude...and you know it will get better.

BTW, I only ran 8 miles last week.  I had a family wedding, family staying with us for the wedding, and a work conference and dinner.  Sometimes things just don't work out for all of us!

slowrunningjulie

I am going to agree with LTH on this one. I have two small kids myself and totally agree that there are times when running can (and should) be set aside for them. However, I also think that it becomes very easy to put aside ourselves for our kids or families, because they will ALWAYS need something. And then the running (or whatever activity it is that you do for yourself) suffers. The key is striking the right balance between being there for them and also making time for yourself. You will be happier and healthier for it and they will have a great role model to emulate as they grow.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

runmomto3boys

I have three little boys myself (6, 4 and 2 years old), so I well understand what you are saying here.  Babies come first!  I hope they are both feeling a bit better now.  What a rough go for the both of them and their Mama!

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

5 miles in the gorgeous sun, 42 degrees, light breeze.  Did this mama good this morning!  My son is officially off restricted activity in the morning and is VERY excited to not have to sit in the school office during recess, and my daughter was well enough to go to school this morning. I dropped them off and headed out into one of the most beautiful days we have had in a long time.  Life is looking a little more normal, as of today!  Thanks for all of your well wishes, the kiddos are felling much better!!

Shakedown Street

Same here. My 3yo had em out on Jan 24th. Work went to hell. My allergies went to shit. I went from 45 mile weeks to 16mpw, 20 something, and now hope to break 30 this week with a 15K tomorrow. Even when I had time to run, have not been motivated to run. Life stinks. Patience. Get back out there.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

Same here. My 3yo had em out on Jan 24th. Work went to hell. My allergies went to shit. I went from 45 mile weeks to 16mpw, 20 something, and now hope to break 30 this week with a 15K tomorrow. Even when I had time to run, have not been motivated to run. Life stinks. Patience. Get back out there.

Kinda strange....that is the same day my son had his out.  Weirdness!

Thank you for posting this!!  I feel the same way.  I love to run.  But sometimes I feel like such a slacker because I'm lucky to run 20 miles a week.  And half the time I dont' even want to get out there!  I go weeks without running and sometimes, like today, I have to force myself out the door because I know it will be all to easy for me to just stop and have to start over again.

Shakedown Street

Kinda strange....that is the same day my son had his out.  Weirdness!

Our ENT stars are aligned. Pointing to our insurance deductible. Boy is better, eating, and aside from having nosebleeds from the adenoids healing all is well.

Hope yours & offspring are back to normal! I am almost there. I see the light at the end of the tunnel at work in the next week or so.

My 15K was fun...weather was great. I went out too slow due to being worried about blowing up because of my 2 week taper. Had pretty splits from 9mm to 7:45mm at the end.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

paulski66

miscreant

I must admit, after reading this post, I'm glad I didn't start that "It's JUST Parenting" thread I've been composing in my head over the past couple of weeks...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

Priorities - good stuff on spending the time with the kids, before you know it, they'll be grown and be moving out on their own. Someone like me can only afford to run because my job is secure and my kids are old. Smile

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

happylily

I must admit, after reading this post, I'm glad I didn't start that "It's JUST Parenting" thread I've been composing in my head over the past couple of weeks...

LOL...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

slowrunningjulie

Save it for a Friday. Roll eyes

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon