Beginners and Beyond

Will drills help my running form? (Read 27 times)

I'm looking for some advice on my poor running form. The more I see pics of myself racing, I'm realizing its pretty bad. I feel that If I could improve it I may be able to get some more speed out of my legs and better running efficiency.

I have a quick cadence but I reach out in front still. Im not overly concerned about the heel strike part but I'm not leading with my hips enough...that much I do know. I also know I lack a lot of extension in my hips. So I'm not kicking out the back as much as I should be. I also don't pick up/drive my knees enough. There is one more issue which I think may be something I'm stuck with...my knees kind of roll inwards when I land (almost touch).

The problem is I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong when I run. Would doing some high knees, butt kicks, strides a few times a week help me out at all? Aside from working with a good coach every day is there any hope of me fixing these issues. How about the hip flexibility? Anything aside from just stretching I can do?

I appreciate any advice you can give me

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

I know they say better form might help, but it is not really hurting you in any way from a look at your times, so my take is don't change what is working.

I don't really do drills, but I do Pilates three times a week which help with my posture a lot.  I find that is enough to keep me straight and better form looking on the last few miles of the marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Last year, as a birthday present, I got six sessions with a USATF-certified coach.  His primary motto was "speed work is form work," meaning when we have to go fast, our bodies find the most efficient manner.  One of the things he did with me was have me run over low (6") hurdles set far enough apart that I took one step between each.  I'd go out and back 40 yards, and then immediately run a relatively fast 400 meters.  I did notice the process trained me to lift my knees more when I ran, even on easy runs.  Maybe something similar would help you - an exercise to focus on form followed right away by a sprint, then back to the exercise, and repeat.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

LRB

I'm looking for some advice on my poor running form. The more I see pics of myself racing, I'm realizing its pretty bad.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

There was an article once that basically inferred that if you were not running with your hip girdle area as if it were a large bowl of water that you were trying not to spill, you were not tapping into the most dense and thus powerful muscle in the body; the glutes. I tried it for a run or two and found it awkward and uncouth trying to run with my ass cheeks pulled in. More recently, someone suggested something similar (running as if you were pushing your junk out, which pulls in the glutes) to which I didn't even bother with given my past experience.

I've had better success using Daniels' running economy method (R pace reps) which holds that you do what you're already doing, you just try to do it with as less effort and movement as possible. To that end, I've observed the stride or gait of the fastest runners here locally (and nationally for that matter) and they are not always the most graceful or pleasing to the eye. They are however, moving fast without flailing arms and feet, and I think that's what's important.

For me, I've found a distinct difference in the effort it takes to run X pace during a race or speed work when I am properly warmed up and do form drills beforehand, as opposed to being "cold". Could I be even faster (relatively speaking) if I changed my form and ran from the most powerful muscle in my body? Probably. But that would most likely require professional tutelage and a reconstruction of what comes natural to me, and I've just not been all that interested in either of them.