Beginners and Beyond

Week 23 Penguins fly in paper airplanes!! (05/24-05/30) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Paper Airplane Day, so if you get really bored, feel free to grab a sheet of paper and look up some designs.  I'm sure there are a ton online!  I, of course, will not be bored, because I'm in the lab today since yesterday was a holiday.  And I've just recovered from a sneezing fit, because allergies.  Dusty is definitely feeling more himself, though he's not thrilled with the shots.  But he's perkier, his appetite is better, and when DH took him for a walk as I left, he attempted to race my car down the road.  DH, bumping along at the end of the leash, was not amused.  It's a very typical Dusty move, though, and always makes me laugh.

So I've got samples to try to run today, and a couple of different webinars on re-opening a service science lab that I want to watch, and then later after I get home I have music stuff to do.  Busy busy!

Biked in (which may have contributed to the allergies), and it was a lovely morning ride.  Should be hotter this afternoon when I leave, but I've got a skirt, Tevas, and a tank top, so I'll be ok.  If it doesn't rain, which also might happen.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 8 and weights. And a massage.

I don't think I even have paper here anymore, ha. But making paper airplanes would be fun.

HopesMom, nice bike ride.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Ooh, massage!!  I'm totally jealous, had to cancel my last one due to Covid, and of course the university isn't open again yet.  I don't know how long it will take them to start offering massages again.  I'm still debating calling my salon to see if I can get a haircut, since that's allowed now ...

Docket_Rocket

My spa has been open for three weeks and their guidelines looked OK so I waited to make sure they had their guidelines down pat and no major issues.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins all!!  DH was gone for a walk with Dusty when I got up this morning, so I missed out on that.  We've had to shift his eating schedule a little, because we're supposed to give his shot right after eating.  So now instead of getting fed at 5:30 every morning and evening, we've moved it to 7:00.  Mostly because they're supposed to be 12 hours apart, and nobody wants to get up at 5:30 on Saturday morning.  Anyway, things have been going pretty smoothly in that department.

Other than that, not much going on.  It's supposed to rain today, I'm getting myself more involved in the technological side of creating music --I finally decided to lend my services to my church choir after hearing a project that had really horrible synch issues.  I have the software to align tracks, including fixing internal issues, which my choir director doesn't have.  I was avoiding jumping into the fray, because it's going to take a fair bit of time and effort, but this is something that needs to be done, and I'm the only one who can do it.  So, I gave in.  I think he's only going to use me for major projects, but we'll see.  I'm supposed to chat with him sometime today.

I'm doing the same sort of thing for my chorus and quartet -- I've had the ability for a while, but haven't done much with it.  Apparently it's time to dust that off and put myself to work.  Woo-hoo!

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 8 with strides and a mat Pilates workout.

HopesMom, glad Dusty is doing better and you have found a schedule that works. I know how much of a pain that can be!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!

I was curious why, when DH is giving Dusty all his injections (I've done it maybe 2-3 times), why he was so insistent that I be the one going in with the vet to learn how to give the injections in the first place.  So I asked him, and he said, "You ask better questions."  Well, I can't argue with that!  And at least I had the presence of mind to videotape the vet session, so he could see what all we needed to do.  Dusty's monitoring curve is tomorrow, and I don't think any of us are looking forward to that.  He'll get an ear prick every 2 hours for 12 hours, to see how the insulin is affecting his blood sugar over time.  That'll give the vet a better idea of how much he needs, and how often.

But, there is something good happening tomorrow -- my quartet is getting together to sing!!  Our lead has a large screened-in porch, so we're going to get together, all masked, and stand in the corners of her porch to sing for a bit.  It should be great fun, and we haven't seen each other in person (or sung together) since early March.  Can't wait!!

Meanwhile, I have work stuff, and music stuff, and DH is out delivering veggies today.  It's rainy, but very still, so a little humid feeling.

Docket_Rocket

Haha. That is so funny about your husband. My husband would be the same except I don't think I ask many questions, lol. Have fun singing.

I have 7 miles and weights.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so we are not able to do Dusty's monitoring curve.  We're supposed to do an ear stick to get blood every 2 hours for 12 hours.  We weren't able to get blood with the lancet at all, despite six or seven tries.  The vet tech just used the needle, not the whole lancet, and said we could do that instead.  So we tried that, and he was definitely able to feel it (yelping), but no blood.  Finally I managed to jab him, but the needle went all the way through his ear.  Definitely blood.  But clearly we weren't going to be able to do that a second time, and trying it again in 2 hours proved that point utterly.

So, DH called the vet and told them it was a no-go, that we'd have to drop him off and have them do the curve.  He's waiting to hear back.

The good news is that the reason we can't do this is because he's feeling so much better that he's protesting and not allowing it.  The stick in the vet's office, he was just lying there and didn't care.  Now he cares very much.  And his overall health is a lot better -- he seems to be in less joint pain, his legs shake less, he's willing to chase squirrels across the yard ... he's feeling so much better.  DH is able to give him his shots without problems, we just can't do ear sticks.  Well, if the vet is reasonable, they can take care of it.  I'd much rather he be repeatedly traumatized by them, quickly and professionally, than by us, bumbling around and having to try over and over again.

Docket_Rocket

Awww, poor boy. Maybe they need to keep him for the 12 hours so they can do that. Good luck!

I came back from the dentist all nauseous and still numb, so lunch should be interesting. 10K time trial later.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

HM - poor Dusty. I don't blame him for not wanting to get stuck every two hours. I wouldn't either. How did your singing go last night?

D - maybe wait until tomorrow for the time trial? Sorry about the numb mouth, but at least you got your crown done.

Very hot and humid here. If I run, it will be on the TM since the feels like is already 94.

Docket_Rocket

I don't want to do it just before a 16 miler but the weather will be good tomorrow. I either have 7 or that so I have to run today. It will be fine, as I'm not running until tonight.

Damaris

Fundraising Page