Beginners and Beyond

Rotating shoes: how many pairs? (Read 449 times)

Meat Wagon

Puker

Three: two pair of Lunarglide 3 and a Lunarfly 2. The older pair of Lunarglide 3 (with 400+ miles on them) is about to be retired, to be replaced by a pair of Lunarglide 4.

This is my exact rotation for training and has been for a few years now. 2 pair of Glides for distance and recovery and 1 pair of the Flys for tempo/speedwork. It's been an excellent rotation for me in every way. I average 850+ miles out of the Glides and 500+ out of the Flys. Now that the Glide4 is lighter than the Fly3, I'll probably ditch the Flys after my last pair is done and try to find a replacement shoe. I hate switching shoes.

I also have a pair of Montreals that I use solely for 5K-HM distance races.

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

From the Internet.

Ha. I barely run due to my stupid dumb legs and I still rotate 4 pairs. I think I have a shoe problem.

2 pairs of Mizuno Wave Precision (12 and 13 - my favorites, I can just forget I even have feet in these two), 1 pair of Brooks Green Silence racing flats for, well, races, and just to mix things up on occasion, and a pair of Mizuno Wave Enigma for tired-leg recovery-type runs.

I intend to add a pair of trail shoes into the rotation eventually, after I get to the root of my shin problems - no more shoes until I can run more than 10 mpw without breaking!

workinprogress11

Wow, this has been educational.  I run in one pair of shoes until my ankle starts to hurt (around 500 miles) then I buy a new pair.  I had no idea people had so many different pairs of shoes for so many different uses.  I may have to rethink this whole thing.

Docket_Rocket

Ha. I barely run due to my stupid dumb legs and I still rotate 4 pairs. I think I have a shoe problem.

2 pairs of Mizuno Wave Precision (12 and 13 - my favorites, I can just forget I even have feet in these two), 1 pair of Brooks Green Silence racing flats for, well, races, and just to mix things up on occasion, and a pair of Mizuno Wave Enigma for tired-leg recovery-type runs.

I intend to add a pair of trail shoes into the rotation eventually, after I get to the root of my shin problems - no more shoes until I can run more than 10 mpw without breaking!

Trust me, you do not. Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

1 pair of Asics 2160 and 1 pair of Brooks Adrenaline 12's. 

Should I add I just ordered another pair of Adrenaline 12's and 13's?

I need to run more, haven't run all week with work projects and family stuff.

Sharz96

I run 5 days a week and I rotate 2 pair.  Adrenaline 12 that is about 2/3 used for three short easy/recovery runs and a new Adrenaline 13 for the long run and the longer speedwork weekday run.  I'm thinking of getting the Adrenaline GTX for the unmaintained multi-use trails of the forest preserves this winter but I haven't seen one in any of the retailers I've tried, so I haven't done so yet. 

Docket_Rocket

1 pair of Asics 2160 and 1 pair of Brooks Adrenaline 12's. 

Should I add I just ordered another pair of Adrenaline 12's and 13's?

I need to run more, haven't run all week with work projects and family stuff.

If you have to ask, the answer is always yes, LOL.

If you don't want one more to rotate, I would consider a racer shoe to have on rotation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

Wow, this has been educational.  I run in one pair of shoes until my ankle starts to hurt (around 500 miles) then I buy a new pair.  I had no idea people had so many different pairs of shoes for so many different uses.  I may have to rethink this whole thing.

This is what I was doing and I had no idea people were rotating so many pairs either!  I'm glad I am not alone. 

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Well, actually, I have too many pair. I anticipated my oldest pair being retired when I bought pair no. 4. Pair 5 was based on the fact that I wanted another very light pair of running shoes for racing. Pair no. 6 - well, nobody's closet is complete without one pair of trail shoes!

Hi! My name is Tom and I'm a shoe-a-holic!

"Hi Tom!!!"

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

From the Internet.

Trust me, you do not. Big grin

Not yet anyway, haha Smile My little shoe collection wants to be like yours when it grows up!
                      runmomto3boys

Hi! My name is Tom and I'm a shoe-a-holic!

"Hi Tom!!!"

Big grin

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

I always feel self-conscious about these threads because I rarely have more than one pair of shoes at a time. I'll just count my racing flats as part of my rotation.

In transit, arriving on time. 

I am starting this next year when I get back into running . Not a true rotation but one pair for speedwork and the other pair for everything else. The speedwork pair will my Kinvara 3s. My go to pair will be Ride 5s.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I've whittled it down to 2 pairs. Saucony Kinvara for everyday distance, and Saucony Grid Type A5 for track workouts and racing.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

cmb4314

I usually have two.

Lately it has been a pair of Adrenalines because they work like a charm for my feet, and then a pair of something else that I'm trying out, just because it's always worth trying something else to see if I happen to like it better.  Right now, it is a pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires.  Other incarnations of my "test pair" have been New Balance 860s, and Nike LunarEclipse.

I go through the Adrenalines faster than my second pair because I usually toss them on for my longest runs because they are tried and true.

Just ordered a new pair of Adrenalines today since my current pair has 500 miles on it.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011)