Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Get Your Rear in Gear 5K (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos.  I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.    And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

April 1-2-3 in 2016 was a busy weekend for me.  On Friday, April 1, I did the April Fools 5K, which turned out to be 4.2 miles instead of 3.1 miles (report and photos here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/234181b1177841d198a5dfab53da543d/resume#focus     On Saturday, April 2, since I have a bit of an adductor issue in my right thigh, I opted not to do this very hilly 5K, but gave my registration to a friend and gave my leg a rest.  Instead of running, I was a ‘photo volunteer” and did a photo report on this one (report and photos here (:http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/4d4a782ace65417396342577df5ea401/resume#focus  ).  Finally, on Sunday, April 3, I did the Get Your Rear in Gear 5K, which was my 23rd race of the year. This event raises funds for colon cancer  and colorectal cancer research, so I try to do this even whenever I can as my cancer was in my colon. Held at Wheatley Heights, a local sports and events venue, with stadium, track, and football field.  I took it easy and did okay, and the course was pretty much flat all the way, thank goodness, and I finished in 36:17, good enough for 2nd in my age group.  My time was a far cry from my usual 31 – 33 minutes for a 5K, but all things considered, I was happy with that.  And I will probably take a running break now, as my LEFT thigh kinda ‘tweaked’ at me near the end; I think it may be compensating for my right thigh, which actually felt pretty good for this event.  Anyway, I am going to heed the warning and will probably just walk all the remaining events I have in April, and maybe not do any races in May at all, just rehab and work on flexibility and strength and let things heal up.

On to the photos!  I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do.  So if you’d rather just see photos only without my commentary you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2023%20Get%20Your%20Rear%20In%20Gear%205K

BEFORE THE START

Got to the stadium with about an hour to go to race time.  Had already picked up my packet the day before so just started getting some pre-start photos.

My pals at AthleteGuild getting the start/finish area ready for the event. They did the course setup, timing, results, etc.  Mucho excellent race management company!

photo 002_zps28fcs10d.jpg

photo 003_zpsijvjxnhd.jpg

photo 018_zpsccjybdba.jpg

And they are done and ready....

photo 021_zpshvaokhrf.jpg

Some of the participants, volunteers, etc.  Very bright day in San Antonio, sunny, and 55 degrees at 9 a.m. start time, so some of these folks are squinting from that bright sunlight;  or maybe just taking a quick nap before the start.

This attractive young lady with me was the local RD for this event

photo 019_zpsyb52w2hu.jpg

Our Music Men and announcer

photo 023_zpsl0wp2ksk.jpg

O photo 001_zpsjrcwcnzu.jpg

photo 004_zpse8wivpsu.jpg

photo 005_zpsdptolupo.jpg

photo 006_zpsnvw4jdfo.jpg

photo 007_zpsxphkdieq.jpg

photo 024_zpsn47o7tcg.jpg

photo 026_zps7yghcnzp.jpg

photo 008_zpsxafhgzl6.jpg

photo 009_zpsrelgmt3h.jpg

photo 014_zpsozzyzvbz.jpg

photo 015_zpsd4rbemcw.jpg

photo 016_zps9ginlolv.jpg

photo 017_zpsqngejol6.jpg

photo 022_zpsekbz3q7x.jpg

Lots of goodies to partake of - before or after the event.

photo 010_zpsufpe85c7.jpg

photo 011_zps3b8knelh.jpg

photo 012_zpscc3sudmc.jpg

photo 013_zpsmbjg82qk.jpg

Before we started there was a moment of silence for lost ones and then a balloon release, with notes attached in memory of loved ones lost and prayers and thoughts for survivors and those still fighting.  I got a little dizzy looking up, so the 2nd photo I laid on the ground and aimed the camera straight up.

photo 027_zpss5mjmzcw.jpg

photo 028_zpst2aryra8.jpg

Getting ready to go at the start line, where I found my speedy pal Bernadette

photo 029_zps8dvjoejl.jpg

photo 030_zpsfvldoe3i.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Once around the stadium track, then out a side gate, through part of the parking lot and onto a nearby Greenway trail where we went to a turn-around point and came back the way we had gone out, finishing by going back around the track.  Pretty nice course, well-paved mix of concrete and asphalt trails, mostly flat – the only ‘up’ on the course was a pretty short incline - lots of shade trees, fauna, etc., along the way.

photo 031_zps12k7xb5t.jpg

photo 032_zpstwiyhvic.jpg

photo 033_zpsrvndnd6e.jpg

photo 034_zpspy0fmzlq.jpg

photo 035_zpsyve23mmb.jpg

photo 036_zpsccqwccxx.jpg

photo 037_zpskyped45b.jpg

photo 038_zpsz9sriewi.jpg

photo 039_zpsj8v6n8lw.jpg

photo 040_zpspfdsmxa3.jpg

photo 041_zpsmcv6phry.jpg

I was in the proximity of this stroller couple quite a bit, but I could not convince them to give me a ride. 

photo 042_zpssrbgiujn.jpg

photo 044_zpsodkbhkve.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Walked around a bit, did some mild stretching, and then got some goodies, sausage wrap, potato-and-egg taco, and a Shiner beer.

Mmm…beer!

photo 045_zpspcdbd0fo.jpg

After my repast and short rest, it was time for taking photos of some of the “Happy Finishers”, volunteers, supporters, etc.

Gentleman to my left is a survivor and served in the military.

photo 046_zpstmdaqlon.jpg

photo 048_zpsh9ruoxxx.jpg

photo 049_zpsy9nqhsec.jpg

photo 050_zpsqrt7f1z5.jpg

This large team earned a 2016 award for its fundraising efforts

photo 051_zpshlzqxlcf.jpg

photo 052_zpsvus4sz1u.jpg

photo 053_zps4jkh7grb.jpg

photo 054_zpsbqcdfhbe.jpg

photo 055_zpssphdfcvh.jpg

Medal winners

photo 056_zpsp302eiwr.jpg

photo 058_zpsi00keqbs.jpg

This team got the "Most Inventive" award

photo 059_zpslpjtcjvl.jpg

The medal giving to the Age Group winners.

photo 060_zpsz8lz4myu.jpg

I also loved the way they did the medals.  The announcer just went right down the list, reading the names of the age group winners and you went up and got your medal and a photo and were out of there.  No muss, no fuss, and went really quickly, no standing around for a long while, very nice.

EPILOGUE

Glad I got to do this one for this very personal cause for me.  Also met and chatted with lots of survivors, which was very inspiring – and just about all of them went through way much more than I ever had to deal with when I had my cancer – and also heart-rending and heart-warming at the same time, hearing some of their stories, memories of loved ones lost, etc.  I fervently hope sometime in the future there will come a time when we no longer need events like this because a cure will have been found and all types of cancer will be totally eradicated very easily.  Until then, though, these people are in inspiration in determination, courage, and heart, and never giving up!   This one will definitely continue to be on my race calendar.

Mucho thanks to our local colon cancer/Get Your Rear in Gear folks and all the volunteers, law enforcement, vendors, sponsors, etc. who make this one happen for we participants every year.  Kudos to the national Get Your Rear in Gear folks for putting this event on in multiple cities across the United States and providing awareness, learning tools, resource links, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

That's the greenway I ran on when we were in SA.  Nice place to run.

Looks like a lot of the participants personalize their race day t-shirts in honor of friends and family.  That's a nice touch.

I hope your legs continue to heal quickly.